• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TAYLOR. mystery family member, Help?

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have searched for my husbands Taylor family for years and almost completed his family tree.
My father in law was Frank Taylor 1910 ,his father Joseph Taylor 1879, Josephs father Francis /Frank 1839 all Birmingham.
Frank (1839) went to Johnstown Pennsylvania he was a wire drawer.
Frank his wife Frances/Fanny and Joseph were not on the 1881 census but Frank was on the Johnstown 1880 so he must have gone just before Josephs birth.and we presume Fanny followed later.
Frances/Fanny was born Walsall 1840.nee Beckett

My brother in law believes that Joseph ,his grandfather , had a brother.

This is the mystery.
Francis/FrankTaylor died in the Johnstown Flood of 1889.
1891 census Gt Francis street , Birmingham
John Hughes age 39
Fanny B Hughes age 50 wife b Walsall (they were not married) she died as Fanny Taylor in 1899.
Frank Taylor 14 b Woolwich Kent (this is where I found Frank and Fanny on the 1861 census)
Joe Taylor age 11 Birmingham

1901, Joseph age 20 b Birmingham lived with his uncle and aunt Henry and Mary(Beckett) Cox in Adams street in 1901 he was a Carter in Timber yard.
Henry and Mary had lived in Gt Francis Street a few doors from John Hughes and Fanny in 1891

no trace of Frank found in 1901.

1911, Joseph had married and was living in Coleman street, my father in law Frank was 1 born 1910
Joseph say born New York USA he was born in New Canal street.I have the certificate

1911 Lodging house in Bath street.
Francis Taylor age 34 , single,Wood Sawyer b Johnstown USA.perhaps he thought that as he was there as a toddler.
That is the last time I can trace Frank/Francis.

Thanks for reading the boring bit, now this is where I could really do with some help. Please!.
I sent to the GRO giving them his name Francis/or Frank mother Beckett. , possible year of birth 1 year each side , place of birth etc but they have drawn a blank and refunded half my money.
I haven't a clue where to go next, I thought that with the exact birthdate I could look at the 1939.

Any suggestions from my fellow members who search so diligently on here will be very welcome.
Thank you Alberta.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much, I was so fixated on Kent that I never thought to look elsewhere and obviously neither did the GRO.
I can apply for certificate again now.

Thank you Janice and MWS
In all the years I have searched I have never been so excited, today I got the PDF for Frank.

He was born on Nov 11th 1876 High street, East Ham.

In my search for Joseph my husbands grandfather I never came across a sibling, I found Joseph in 1901 living with an aunt, and not able to find him in 1891 presumed he and his mother were still in USA.

Quite by chance searching for Taylors in Birmingham in 1911 I found a Francis living in Birmingham born Johnstown USA.In 1911 Joseph said he also was born USA.They must have thought so being so young when taken there or perhaps they thought it a bit romantic:)

I had found everything about joseph until the time of his death so I gave up for a while but then quite by chance I searched for Fanny Taylor nee Becketts family and Mary the sister that Joseph was living with in 1901. In 1891 when I found her, a few census entries away was John Hughes and his older 'wife' Fanny with 2 boarders Frank Taylor age 14 b Woolwich and Joe Taylor age 11 b birmingham. Fanny died in 1899.,( she and her husband frank lived in Woolwich area in 1871).
There were many census for Frank or Francis Taylors so he remained a mystery until now.

I now know that he married in 1916 and he died in 1960 and no-one in my husbands family heard him talked about or met him, except Steves eldest brother with a vague thought that his Dad had an uncle.

Only one of you enthuiastic searchers will know how I feel , it's a bit like finding the last piece of a jigsaw.
Alberta.

Last edited:
oh thats brilliant alberta its great news and i for one know how you feel...only recently i found out where my uncle an evacuee aged 6 is buried and on sunday visited his grave in wales...if you have not seen it already my story is on the below thread

lyn

.https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/remembrance-day-2021.54218/page-2#post-745123

So pleased to have given a little bit of help.
As you say "it takes one to know one" - you have to be an enthusiast to share your excitement.
It is how I felt when I discovered my Great Uncle lived in the road we now live in and probably saw our house being built.
As Lyn said - I know how you feel.

Fellow researches, I am now tearing my hair out with these Taylors
I know that Joseph was born in New canal Street 1879
with help from Janice I found Franks birth in East Ham, Essex 1876
Their birthplaces are correct on all census except 1911, Joseph says born new york and Frank, Johnstown Pennsylvania.
As the boys thought they were born in USA I am assuming that their mother took them to their father Frank, (who was on Johnstown census 1880,) arriving between the 1880 USA census and UK 1881.
Johnstown was destroyed when a dam burst and a massive flood killed over 2200 people mostly metal workers.
I cannot find Frank snrs name on the casuality list.
In 1891 back in Birmingham Fanny and her children are living with a John Hughes in Birmingham, the children are still Taylor but Fanny calls herself Fanny b Hughes b Walsall , wife.
Fanny Taylor died in 1899, Joseph went to relatives and Frank went into lodgings.
Now the problem after hours of searching shipping lists I find Frank snr going on the Utopia in 1879 but no trace of outward or inward journey of Fanny or the boys, Joseph is often Joe, Frank is often Francis and Fanny is often Frances.
I have tried the lot, nothing.
Any ideas would be welcomed, thanks, Alberta.

I know the confusion with the children's birthplaces points to that they did but is it possible that they never went to the US and are just missing from the 1881 UK census? Is there proof that they did?

Or could it be a case that not all records are not available yet or don't exist?

On a side note did Frank and Fanny have 2 early children in the 1860s that died young?

Strangely enough I had never explored that but just thought it odd that it was 16 years after marriaqe before 1st son was born.
Now I have found baptism of Sarah Taylor Essex 1869 parents Francis and Fanny,(Fannys mother was Sarah)

The 2 possibilities I came across were Francis b and d reg. 1864 Bham and Mary b and d reg. 1867 Bham.

Back