• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Taylor Martha and George James Davies

johndavies

master brummie
This is one frustrating mystery. Martha Taylor and George Davies were the parents of my father John Louis Samuel Davies born in November 1919. I have traced the lineage of his parents but what happened to Martha and George is an absolute mystery.
I know they were resident in Dawlish Road Selly Oak (where my father was born) and they were on the 1922 voters list. Between 1922 and 1923 Martha leaves and my father is put into the care of Shenley Fields cottage Homes. George dissapears in 1923. It appearst they were never married.
Where did they go and what happened to them. I purchased a subscription to Ancestry last year and after checking every marriage and death record between 1922 and 2000...nothing. They just appear to have dissapeared off the face of the earth. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Re: Martha Taylor and George James Davies

Do you think they could have emigrated you can check passenger lists on find my past. What year were they born?

Thank you for the suggestion but there was as much as a 12 month interval after martha left the address so it seems they did go there separate ways. I did check the passenger lists and again came to a dead end.

i dont suppose this is the one but there was a marriage of a martha taylor to thomas cox 1924 jan-mar birmingham 6d 380

I see Shera has already said what was my first thoughts, perhaps her husband to be didn't want to take on the responsibility of her son or she just hid the fact he existed and that's why he was put into care.
It seems you know who her father was, his name should appear on her marriage certificate so you could send for the cert and specify you only want it if her fathers name matches what you know

bren

Thank you so much, I will be on the case first thing Monday morning.

i dont suppose this is the one but there was a marriage of a martha taylor to thomas cox 1924 jan-mar birmingham 6d 380

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been so busy tracing my mothers ancestry I have only recently got around to getting the certificate. Yes Shera, you were spot on thank you. I have now been able to trace the lineage after her marriage to her eventual death.

My next project is the mystery of George James Davies born in Birmingham in 1900. I have his parents and siblings but he just disappears off the face of the earth in 1923. I have again subscribed to ancestry and can find zilch..nothing. Not a thing under marriages or deaths and he is not on any passenger lists. If Martha hadnt left first my imagination stretches to the fact he may have been done away with and buried in the garden!:D

John
I'm probably going over things you already know, but there is a George James Davies in 1925 and 1930 on the electoral rolls at 191 tiverton road , with John thomas Dale in 1925 and also Louisa Dale in 1930. This is a short distance from Dawlish road
mike

John
I'm probably going over things you already know, but there is a George James Davies in 1925 and 1930 on the electoral rolls at 191 tiverton road , with John thomas Dale in 1925 and also Louisa Dale in 1930. This is a short distance from Dawlish road
mike

Thanks mike, this is something I hadnt found. Im very grateful. Having only just rejoined ancestry I clearly have a lot to learn of what is available. :redface:

Interestingly,in 1932,a George James Davies marries a Bertha M Davies in Birmingham.(4thQ,vol 6d,page 393) In 1939,there is a Bertha Muriel and George James Davies living at 141 Kendal Rise,Northfield.
In 1950 a couple with the same names living at 152 Alvechurch Rd.
Any help?

Interestingly,in 1932,a George James Davies marries a Bertha M Davies in Birmingham.(4thQ,vol 6d,page 393) In 1939,there is a Bertha Muriel and George James Davies living at 141 Kendal Rise,Northfield.
In 1950 a couple with the same names living at 152 Alvechurch Rd.
Any help?

Brilliant help thank you ladylinda, going to get the marriage cert for this. I am starting to feel really foolish now, all this information must have been available on ancestry yet I have been unable to find it. Im not a novice brummie for nothing:)

Am still searching for the date of his demise.

Heavens above,don't feel foolish! I found the marriage on Ancestry (BMD),but only after looking at the Electoral Rolls on Midlands Historical Data Site,to gauge a date. It may turn out to be no more than a coincidence of names,but worth a £7.00 gamble!

Back