• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Taylor family, Aston

C

ChristinaE

I'm trying to solve a puzzle about my Grandmother's sister who apparently drowned in the canal. My relatives were:
George Taylor born c. 1875, Rose Taylor (nee Metcalf) born c. 1878, Violet Taylor born 1905, Annie Taylor (I think it's she that drowned) born, c. 1897 and Alfred Taylor born c. 1910. In the 1901 census, George, Annie and Rose lived at 6 Court 6 Vauxhall Road which was where my Grandma (Violet) was born in 1905. Violet used to tell me that her elder sister drowned in the canal, trying to save a younger child. Someone I've met through Genes reunited recalls her Mother (cousin to Annie and Violet) telling a story about her cousin being found drowned in Saltley Lock after they had been out together, and the cousins shoes (very small child) were found next to the Lock. I've ordered a death certificate for the only possible match for Annie, from 1919, which makes her older than I was led to believe. There's always the chance that there was another sister though, born after 1897 but before 1905 - bring on the 1911 census! If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful as I've spent the last year going round in circles!

If it is the one, a search of the newspaper archives in the Central Library should find the story.

Thanks. I'll wait until I get the certificate and then maybe have a trip to Birmingham.

There must have been a lot of Taylors in Aston, I've got a bunch of them in my mother's line including a George but he's born around 1888 I think. E.

You can contact the archive by telephone or e- mail, they are always really helpful. A relative of mine was found drowned in the 1920s, and all I knew was the approximate date, along with her name. The lady I spoke to on the phone was able to supply me with copies of the coroners report, along with both witness and police statements, from these I was able to get the newspaper accounts when I visited personally, (they hold all major Birmingham newspapers on microfiche). They really are most helpful and obliging.

Thanks, that sounds really hopeful - do you have the email address?

I've just got the death certificate from my relative who drowned. It wasn't Annie Taylor, but her sister Rose who was born later - she was found in August 1916 in the canal near Crawford Street, Saltey - has thrown up another mystery to now work on as it seems her Mother Rose remarried another 'Taylor', Alfred.

I've just joined the society, so I'm a bit late coming to this message. I have a large family of Taylors in Duddeston, 13 in total, one of whom was a Rose Taylor born in 1878, there was also a George Taylor who was born in 1887, but there doesn't appear to be an Annie Taylor. They lived in various addresses in Francis Street and Reginald Road. I don't suppose they are the same family, or possibly related?

My Great Grandma Rose Taylor was born Rose Metcalf in 1878, and her husband George was born around 1875. The street names don't sound familiar - shame it's such a common name as it makes research quite tricky!

Too true about how tricky it is to trace people. Anyway, I am having a good time whilst doing it.

I also have Taylors in the area - John & Emma and children Lavinia, John and Emma on RG10/3144

Peter

Hallo Bristolloggerheads, I don't have anyone of that name in the family as far as I have it. But thanks anyhow.

I've got Taylors from Aston in my family. Going from Thomas and Ann (Ainsworth). They had ten known children between 1846 - 1867. There are several Georges, Fredericks, Harrys and Florences to name a few.

I have also got George Taylor in my family born 1842 in Bickenhill, but living Lichfield Road Aston on the 1871 and 1881 census - wife Charlotte - they were grocers.

I'm afraid it's not the same George. Mine was born 1846, wife Mary Ann ? His parents weren't married until 1852 so he was registered as George Taylor Ainsworth, but dropped the Ainsworth somewhere along the line and was George Taylor from the 1861 census onwards. If this story rings a bell with anyone please get in touch.
Maggie

I've got Taylors from Aston in my family. Going from Thomas and Ann (Ainsworth). They had ten known children between 1846 - 1867. There are several Georges, Fredericks, Harrys and Florences to name a few.

My Taylors don't seem to match up with your dates. I have a Richard Taylor born in 1847, who married a Eliza (Bonner?) in 1869 and settled in Aston to have a large family from 1870 onwards. Richard's father was Samuel Taylor who married a Mary Ann Stratford in 1847. The proximity of marriage and birth dates presumably indicates why they moved to Birmingham.

Sorry I couldn't be of help, let me know if you have any other thoughts or ideas.

I'm afraid it's not the same George. Mine was born 1846, wife Mary Ann ? His parents weren't married until 1852 so he was registered as George Taylor Ainsworth, but dropped the Ainsworth somewhere along the line and was George Taylor from the 1861 census onwards. If this story rings a bell with anyone please get in touch.
Maggie
My Greatgrandfather was Richard Taylor born about 1867,who I believe was a younger brother of your George and who married Sarah Ann Hunt.I am very keen to learn about his forebears,and had believed his parents to be Thomas Taylor and Ann Ainsworth but came across a family tree for the Pratt family giving their births as 1818 and 1830 whereas the census records only seem to show one year differences in their ages.The marriage date of 1852 in Birmingham seems to indicate that it is the same Thomas and Ann.Can anyone help and possibly help with further previous generations?

Thomas and Ann had 3 children before they married and 7 after. Richard was the youngest, whilst my Great Great Grandfather was George, the eldest child. Thomas came from Foleshill, Coventry, and was one of 9 (?) children. As yet I can't find much on Ann other than her father was Mark, and he was deceased at the time of her marriage (I have the certificate). I have the 1911 census for Richard and Sarah Ann, which says that they had 14 children, 6 living and 8 dead at the time. I have managed to follow most of Thomas and Ann's children down to varying degrees.
I don't know about the Pratt family tree, but Thomas and Ann were only about a year apart in age, whereas Thomas's father (also Thomas) had a (likely second) wife, Sarah, who were about sixteen years apart.
If you want any more info please let me Know.

Thanks for the information,its great to find a new relative,and yes I would like to know as much as possible about Thomas and Ann"s children.If of interest I can tell you a lot about Richard and Sarah Ann"s 6 surviving children.Im not very experienced at this type of forum,so perhaps you could advise the best way of exchanging information.
regards Bendigo

There is an Ann Hainsworth born 1829 Birmingham,father Mark Hainsworth mother Mary Ann Russell,they married in St Phillips 1825,and Ann was baptised there 1829.

Alberta, thank you so much for that. As Ann married under the name Ainsworth, it didn't occur to me that there was a different spelling of her surname. Silly me, I should know better by now!!I'm now off to do more sleuthing. Thanks again.

hi christinae
just been reading your thread of request for taylors ; my youngest sister ismarried to a taylor but that i am sure would not be any relatives of the one you are tracing but what did come to my mind was the taylor family i used to know very well ; and reading the article about the drowning in crawford street sent a pulse to my brain because the roger and george talor i knew and asociated with lived in around the corner from crawford street
and the cannal runs along close bye to there house and garden and they had a furtiture removals bussiness and any kind of removals to be quite
honest with you with vans we used to drink together way back in the fiftys and sixtys
so there may be or may not be a connection to this taylor as they are virtualy across the rd from crawford street
there house was just around on the corner of washwood heath rd and the first rd as you turn into washwood heath was the very first rd on your
left ; and almost faceing haverlock rd
i have said that discription so may be some of of our experts know the district and pin point the rd as it was the corner house
infact the house was just passed the petrol garage and god as faceing the saltley amatures garden club
the rd would be as it took the corner for there big vans and they was long gardens so i think if some one as got the time to check washwood heath rd in the directory for tayl;ors removals they may just pin point the george you are looking for or may be a sibbling to him
its just a thought being the cannal is about 200 yards away and running down crossing there gardens
best of luck ; astonian

Hi I'm trying to find out some information about this aswell as my dad is the son of Rose Hopkins who's parents were John Brookes and Annie Taylor and details would be great as we could potentially be cousins

[email protected]
If you want to discuss more ?
William

As mentioned before I have Taylors in my tree, my grandmother was Alice Frances Taylor (1884-1954), she had brothers and sisters Leah Taylor (b 1881), Henry A (b 1886), George (b 1888), Charles (b 1890), Lilian (b 1892), Ethel (b 1894), Daisy (b 1896).
Lilian married a George Davis, and Alice Frances married Charles Coughlin (my granddad)

I'm trying to solve a puzzle about my Grandmother's sister who apparently drowned in the canal. My relatives were:
George Taylor born c. 1875, Rose Taylor (nee Metcalf) born c. 1878, Violet Taylor born 1905, Annie Taylor (I think it's she that drowned) born, c. 1897 and Alfred Taylor born c. 1910. In the 1901 census, George, Annie and Rose lived at 6 Court 6 Vauxhall Road which was where my Grandma (Violet) was born in 1905. Violet used to tell me that her elder sister drowned in the canal, trying to save a younger child. Someone I've met through Genes reunited recalls her Mother (cousin to Annie and Violet) telling a story about her cousin being found drowned in Saltley Lock after they had been out together, and the cousins shoes (very small child) were found next to the Lock. I've ordered a death certificate for the only possible match for Annie, from 1919, which makes her older than I was led to believe. There's always the chance that there was another sister though, born after 1897 but before 1905 - bring on the 1911 census! If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful as I've spent the last year going round in circles!
My Gran was called Annie May Taylor and she had a sister called Rose. My dad was Dennis and he had 2 brothers Harold and Alec and a sister called Edna. I didn’t hear about anyone drowning in our family. There are so many Taylor families.

My Gran was called Annie May Taylor and she had a sister called Rose. My dad was Dennis and he had 2 brothers Harold and Alec and a sister called Edna. I didn’t hear about anyone drowning in our family. There are so many Taylor families.

Chrisina is no longer a member so probably won't see your message and as you say there are a lot of Taylor families so maybe a different one.

And I don't know if she ever solved her puzzle but it was Annie's younger sister, Rose, who was sadly found drowned in a canal near Cranford St, aged just 13 in 1916.

Back