• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

taylor and challen today

Hi Greg
Whereabouts in Perth did you see this press? I have friends there, so a good reason to visit.
Hello All, first post here.
I just discovered this forum and thread thanks to a link my aunt sent me last week. That was an interview by the IWM about my grandad's exploits in WW2. In it he mentions Taylor and Challen engineering. As I am an engineer myself and, more importantly, a Challen (I think this firm was set up by my great great grandad - might be another great in there), I was very interested. Then this thread pops up in google. Thanks to everyone for comments and photos. If anyone has questions, post them up and I'll do what I can to answer them.
Best regards
Roy Challen

HELLO ROY .
I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE THAT THE TAYLOR AND CHALLEN LEGACY IS STILL BEING DISCUSSED TILL TODAY
I AM PLEASED TO INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE 5 FUNCTIONING DOUBLE ACTION PRESS MACHINES DOUBLE SIDED FRAME OF TAYLOR AND CHALLEN. SIZE 6 , SIZE 5 , SIZE 4 AND 3 1/2
WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF ACTIVATING A NEW PRESS 6 ( 1996 MODEL ) OF TAYLOR AND CHALLEN ,
I HAVE THE INSTRUCTION / operating MANUAL , BUT A FEW DRAWINGS ARE MISSING .
DRAWINGs RELATING TO THE AIR CLUTCH SYSTEM , AND THE ELECTRICAL PANEL CONNECTIONS ARENT THERE .
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS , I WILL BE SO GLAD TO HAVE IT .
REGARDS
DEEPAK MAHTANI

Last edited:
Hi Deepak

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

This was what the building looked like in 1977
------------------------------------------------

The gable end of that building is intriguing as though large doors were there at one time, but then again what were those circular brickworks for? so obviously not doors. The brickwork inside the two circles is much larger, more like stone blocks so blocked up at a later date for some reason. Maybe large pipes went in & out?

Last edited:
I served my apprenticeship at T&C around about 1970 to 1975 or so. I can remember being sent up to the hut at the top of the building to get some wax drawings out so we could manufacture some spares for the Indian Mint. There were no tolerances on the drawings in those days so, for example, the bearings had to be turned to suit the crankshaft using “feel” to get the right fit. Incredibly skilled craftsmen that it was a privilege to be schooled by.

Attachments

• 3AF221EB-5A69-4BB5-A451-792F2796D42B.jpeg
    3AF221EB-5A69-4BB5-A451-792F2796D42B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 63FCD4E1-3D38-4D1E-B5CC-3C7DAD54A4D7.jpeg
    63FCD4E1-3D38-4D1E-B5CC-3C7DAD54A4D7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Back