• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tastes Of The Past

Nothing like salt for hardening your arteries, Lady P, and I used to use a lot when I was younger. Now I can't remember the last time I put salt on anything. I do have a lot of use for pepper - white or black. Since the salt was removed from such as cup-a-soups, the taste has gone as well. Perhaps that was all that was in it - salt! :) Can't avoid it in such things as potato crisps, of course, and I can never eat just part of a packet, so perhaps it is the yearning for salt, who knows?

Maurice :cool:
Our Maurice 1600711072754.png.crips are very bad. I give them up in the lockdown along with chips. 1600711378804.png

mike your post has just reminded me of when i was a kid.. if mom was cooking spring cabbage dad would give us a cup of hot cabbage water with a tad of pepper in and say...get that down you it will do you good...did anyone else do this?...actually it tasted ok to me

lyn
Hi Lyn, my dad used to tell my sisters and I to drink it as it was good for our skin, I liked it too, but not the "boiled to death" cabbage though haha

Wendy

A slice of bread that has one side dipped into the juices in the tray that has just had the beef joint taken out, when the grand children had been given their slice the rest was used to make the gravy.
Bob
Bob, did not know it as Dippy but something very good to have before dinner(and sometimes the best part)!

My favourites as a child were my nans lamb stews with gravy so thick you could stand a spoon in it, however hard I try, I just can't get my stew gravy like that. Mom's home cooked chips in dripping,she used to leave the dripping in the chip pan for ages and they were amazing, my nans Sunday roasts, with home made Yorkshire Pudding with beef and mint sauce with lamb, the mint straight out of her garden. Sunday teas with bread and butter, onions in a small dish covered with vinegar, and a cake or trifle. Tea in the week would always be a cooked meal apart from Saturday's and a pudding, spotted dick, jam roly poly, Apple pie with custard.

Saturday's mom would bring home crusty cobs and cakes and dad and I would have very sharp cheese from West Brom market and Spanish Onion on them, then a doughnut or a lardy cake.

Dad would always have pigs trotters on a Thursday night for tea, I hated the smell of them and used to have my tea quickly so as I didn't have to sell them for long.

Mom also used to make really nice peppermint creams and fudge, and I used to !I've helping her in the kitchen, she taught me a lot about cooking on a budget.

This time of year we eat lots of stews made in my slow cooker which is the one piece of kitchen equipment I couldn't do without, I buy my mince, stewing steak, oxtail for my husband, and neck of lamb from our excellent independent local butcher, freeze them then just defrost, do my veggies and gravy and leave it on low all day, ready for when my husband finishes work.

I make spaghetti Bolognese in my slow cooker as well, and my husband doesn't like it made any other way now

My favourites as a child were my nans lamb stews with gravy so thick you could stand a spoon in it, however hard I try, I just can't get my stew gravy like that. Mom's home cooked chips in dripping,she used to leave the dripping in the chip pan for ages and they were amazing, my nans Sunday roasts, with home made Yorkshire Pudding with beef and mint sauce with lamb, the mint straight out of her garden. Sunday teas with bread and butter, onions in a small dish covered with vinegar, and a cake or trifle. Tea in the week would always be a cooked meal apart from Saturday's and a pudding, spotted dick, jam roly poly, Apple pie with custard.

Saturday's mom would bring home crusty cobs and cakes and dad and I would have very sharp cheese from West Brom market and Spanish Onion on them, then a doughnut or a lardy cake.

Dad would always have pigs trotters on a Thursday night for tea, I hated the smell of them and used to have my tea quickly so as I didn't have to sell them for long.

Mom also used to make really nice peppermint creams and fudge, and I used to !I've helping her in the kitchen, she taught me a lot about cooking on a budget.

This time of year we eat lots of stews made in my slow cooker which is the one piece of kitchen equipment I couldn't do without, I buy my mince, stewing steak, oxtail for my husband, and neck of lamb from our excellent independent local butcher, freeze them then just defrost, do my veggies and gravy and leave it on low all day, ready for when my husband finishes work.

I make spaghetti Bolognese in my slow cooker as well, and my husband doesn't like it made any other way now

My mouth is watering already! Can't beat good home cooking using proper ingredients

My wife's makes chips like this:
1. Cut potatoes into chips as usual.
2. Parboil.
3. On an oven tray spread x1 table spoon of cooking oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, mustard powder & black pepper. [according to taste!]
4. Put chips onto tray and swish around until well coated.
5. Cook in top oven until nicely brown.

Just delicious.

PS: we are also in the apple pie & custard season - from our own apple trees.

My mom used to send me to Carmichael's at the Glebe with a crock bowl.
They sold Faggots and Pea's. They were the best i've ever tasted.
I remember me and my mate Tony Corrall saving our pocket money, just so we could have two faggots each.
i think they where about 6d in old money.
I would love to know what ever happened to the shop.

My mouth is watering already! Can't beat good home cooking using proper ingredients

My wife's makes chips like this:
1. Cut potatoes into chips as usual.
2. Parboil.
3. On an oven tray spread x1 table spoon of cooking oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, mustard powder & black pepper. [according to taste!]
4. Put chips onto tray and swish around until well coated.
5. Cook in top oven until nicely brown.

Just delicious.

PS: we are also in the apple pie & custard season - from our own apple trees.
Super dad, my wife also makes chips that way! They are delicious!

Back