• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tastes Of The Past

We've just invested in a breadmaker. I got fed up with supermarket stuff full of preservatives that bloat me (I don't need any help to bloat myself, thankyou)!
A damson jam butty while the bread's still warm.....nomnomnom.

Just after the war when I was a youngster and sweets and chocolate were still on ration, Mom used to give us a cup with some cocoa in it mixed with a bit of sugar to dip our fingers in and lick. That was delicious to me.

We've just invested in a breadmaker. I got fed up with supermarket stuff full of preservatives that bloat me (I don't need any help to bloat myself, thankyou)!
A damson jam butty while the bread's still warm.....nomnomnom.
My son bought me one (I didn't want one) it got used now and again but not a real lot.

Recently I discovered Bread Mixes and now even better ones. Now we use it regularly and I often stop it at the Dough proven stage and bake in the oven. Much better and no tell tale hole in the bottom if you try to make out it is all your own work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my Nan buying an eel in the old Market in Bull Ring, and when she put it in the crock sink in her house Butler St South in Small Heath, it started swimming around .

I never did try her eels, but her toad in the hole was to die for

I have a large bottle of Camp Coffee in the cupboard. I put it on Vanilla Ice Cream to make coffee ice cream. My other half is from Yorkshire and makes really Yorkshire Pudding. She also makes Apple Pies that make your mouth water. She has a website where she puts the recipes.

If you want to save some money on food and other things have a look here www.approvedfood.co.uk

Have to go bye for now.

hi all
ive just been reading through this post and its bought back so many memorys for me
bread pudding, dripping sandwiches, rice pudding to name but a few.
I work in catering and one of our supervisers is a lady in her 60's she makes the most wonderfull bread pudding on a large scale, the only ones who seem to eat it are the old boys lol Myself and my manager have a habbit of syrup sandwiches for breakfast a few of the girls i work with says it turns the tummys and they dont know how we manage to eat it its what i grew up on

I make my own bread and bread and butter pudding and rice pudding at home and have an old soup cup in the fridge thats used for storing home made dripping makes the most wonderfull roast potatoes. im going to try and make some steamed pudding as i tell me kids it will stick to ya ribs and keep the cold out lol

im going to have to go into the kitchen now and start baking all this reading of old fashioned foods is making me hungry but you cant beat them can you

My Dad loved syrup sandwiches too celia!!
Nan was in catering and it was her job to cut up the wedding cakes so she would bring home bags of the crumbs and bits of icing, Dad had these on sandwiches too.
I make rice pudding in the slow cooker, I love bread-and-butter pudding, haven't made it for ages.
rosie.

i did make a treacle sponge last week the old fashioned way
when i turned it out and looked at my handy work my son whos 15 said "what in gods name have you made mother" "treacle sponge i replied feeling rather proud of my first attempt. He looked at it poked it and sniffed it and said "give us the spoon i'll have a go". I had to pul the bowl away from him otherwise there would be none left for thr rest of us.
Now when he comes home from school and asks what for dinner he also asks if we are getting pudding with it lol

Now when his mates come to call for him they ask "have you made any cakes james's mom" apparently their mom dont bake cakes

I was in the Bull Ring Market yesterday and noticed whole cooked heads from sheep for sale. When Nan had them they were uncooked and cut in half so she could take the brains out to serve on toast. (Not to me!!). Then she would take out the eyes before boiling the bones. I hated picking over the meat as I didn't like to touch the teeth!.
Their tripe was a brownish colour, I have only cooked blanched tripe when I had dogs.
They also had cow's legs.....not just "cowheel" that my mother liked.
I do like roast lamb hearts the way mother did them.
rosie.

Don't forget pigs trotters, Rosie. :D
My dad used to make a terrible noise eating pigs trotters. My b-i-law asked me if i would like to try sheeps brains & like a fool i said why not. I had to eat them to save face. My dad also tipped his tea into the saucer to drink it, (more slurping) Not much choice in the chippy back in the 50`s, Fish & chips (with scrapings ) or Faggots & peas was my treat. Not a kebab or pizza in sight!!

My dad used to make a terrible noise eating pigs trotters. My b-i-law asked me if i would like to try sheeps brains & like a fool i said why not. I had to eat them to save face. My dad also tipped his tea into the saucer to drink it, (more slurping) Not much choice in the chippy back in the 50`s, Fish & chips (with scrapings ) or Faggots & peas was my treat. Not a kebab or pizza in sight!!

Faggots & Peas, now you're talking. I don't care what the ingredients are, I love 'em!
(Have you increased your Westie pack, Smudge ?)

Vesta curries. Pretty rubbish but I really liked them. Probably the first 'curry' many of us tasted in the 1960s. And nothing like the real thing of course. A food of its time - fast, convenient and spicy. Viv.

Yeah, I was a fan of the Vesta Curry too. They were an introduction to the curry when a lot of the ingredients were not available in the shop. I also think the humble Vesta filled a gap for some of the x service men, like my dad who spent time in India. He was always pontificating about foreign food is rubbish, but he would always eat a Vesta.

Mother used to give us pigs trotters on a Friday night. They would be on the gas while we were taking turns in the tin bath in the kitchen!!
I liked Vesta Chow-Mein.
rosie.

Mother used to give us pigs trotters on a Friday night. They would be on the gas while we were taking turns in the tin bath in the kitchen!!
I liked Vesta Chow-Mein.
rosie.

When it comes to Vesta meals, I used to like their version of Paella.

Vesta curries. Pretty rubbish but I really liked them. Probably the first 'curry' many of us tasted in the 1960s. And nothing like the real thing of course. A food of its time - fast, convenient and spicy. Viv.

viv i remember our dad having vesta curry in the 60s he loved them

lyn

I don't think they actually contained meat did they ? Was the meat made from soya or something like that ? Viv.

Were they the peas that you soaked in bicarb ? Came in a box with a tablet of bicarb inside. Had forgotten about those boxed dried peas. Used to have to soak them for a long time before boiling them. I still love mushy peas. In fact I still love any form of peas; tinned processed, frozen, mushy and the best of all raw .... Viv.

I don't think they actually contained meat did they ? Was the meat made from soya or something like that ? Viv.

yes viv i think you are correct..if memory serves me right the meat or chicken came in little square blocks..as you say most likely soya

lyn

Were they the peas that you soaked in bicarb ? Came in a box with a tablet of bicarb inside. Had forgotten about those boxed dried peas. Used to have to soak them for a long time before boiling them. I still love mushy peas. In fact I still love any form of peas; tinned processed, frozen, mushy and the best of all raw .... Viv.
Surprise peas were freeze dried garden peas popular in the 70's. When reconstituted with boiling water they were an unnaturally bright green. They were useful for people without freezers or much fresh food storage space. I also remember the dried peas from the 50's with the bicarb, which I think was added to retain some of there green colour.

Viv, I know the ones you mean and as you say they were for Mushy peas and delicious with faggots. These were dehydrated peas but when added to water were like sweet garden peas.surprise-peas-copy.jpg surprise-peas-copy.jpg

I think Batchelor's made Surprise peas. Unilever took over (although according to Google they later sold part of the company because of monopoly regulations) and it is Unilever who own "Continental" foods in Australia and New Zealand.

I remember Vesta Curry too and was never sure if the meat was real as it had a spongy texture - also recall that it contained sultanas which I've never encountered in a real curry. I found this amusing article on a nostalgia website but had to remove a couple of words lol.

upload_2018-7-10_9-11-45.png
There must still be a following as you can still buy them!

Last edited:
Back