• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tastes Of The Past

Dek and to which school did you go to do this horrible thing to your mates?. Take a bit of the old proactive advertised on tele too that does help with the cholesterol and helps then to lower the blood pressure. Jean.

Jean we wer just your typical uncouth urchins from Vauxhall no team of beautiful bellie dancers at our school they were up the posh end in aston.Dek

Does anyone remember Hawkins on Potters Hill, - they were a sea food shop, what I'd give for a bowl of jellied eels or better still a bowl of fresh cooked hot WELKES & MUSHY PEAS , food to die for !!!!!

You're right just up from THE BARTONS ARMS, did you "dine" there Moss ?

Nor have I, it was my mate who eat them, the WELKES & MUSHIE PEA's was my prefrred dish

Moss you don't know what you've missed. Pete's brother always brought some back from the market in Brum Saturday after finishing work. They lived round the corner from Hawkins and he used to be at the speedway Perry Barr. Jean..

Growing up in the 50s, the weekly treat for my sister and I was Sunday when the roast was nearly cooked. We stood by the oven as mom checked the meat and we had a "dip in" which was bread dipped in the meat juices all dark brown and meaty. Not water like todays meat.
Our dad would have dripping sandwiches for Sunday supper.

Must agree about whelks being the shellfish equivalent of an ever lasting toffee bar. Along with winkles they are more a pastime than a seafood. Jellied Eels can be really good or just a bone in a lot of sloppy jelly. Mind I had to go to Folkestone for some good ones.

At he bottom of the dripping bowl was the meat jelly i used to spread this on my bread sprinkle with salt simply bliss i can taste it now. Dek

I loved dripping too. I can remember going to my Nan's in Tower rd, she had an outdoor there. She used to go into her kitchen and there was always an uncut loaf on the table, she would get out this knife I can see it know, very long and very thin where granddad had sharpened it away. She would get the white basin out with the dripping in and spread it on the loaf with a bit of the jelly then cut it so thin I used to just stand and watch wondering why my mom couldn't cut bread like that, hers were always doorsteps. I can taste it now and see every bit of her sparse kitchen, just one of those cupboards with a pull down middle and a table and a sink and gas stove. They didn't have loads of cupboards like us today, they didn't go to the super market and stock up they just spent what they had in there purse each day, and if there was nothing you had bread and ?????? I get far too much food in for the 2 of us and I could do with out loads in the cupboard I have "just in case" I think going with your credit card does it, my friend takes a certain amount out of the bank each week for her housekeeping, like we used to when we were payed cash, and says it is much better as when she is getting low on money she just uses what in the cupboards. I just seem to pile thing in. After all if I ran out there is always the shop down the road.

Love this forum, I've been in Wales for thirty years and its wonderful BUT...sometimes I miss brum. Childhood food memory for me back in the 50's/60's include my dad's pigs trotters and mushy peas. Soak peas overnight (with the soda tablet) add trotters and slow simmer until peas are mush. Remove trotters and wash off peas then grill until crisp and serve with the peas, lots of salt, pepper and vinegar :)

Hi Richard and Welcome. I still love pigs trotters and pea soup. I buy them with the knuckle on and they are delicious. My husband hates them though. Jean.

Our moms dripping was the best. As the OP said wit the the jelly from the bottom and a bit of salt. Dunno about Flag sauce, or any other come to that.

Think back, when I was a kid, everybody ate stuff like that, even lard if there was no dripping left. Chips, fry ups, whatever. Park Drive, Woodbines, Mild beer, sugar in your tea, boiled sweets.

And more or less everybody was thin, or thin ish anyway.

Many thanks GG for the welcome. Beef dripping/dark jelly, toast, salt and pepper yum yum. Lot of talk these days about 'killer' food but there is no such thing so long as you eat in moderation. Butter is now OK to eat after years of us being told how bad it was lol. The occasional plate of chips cooked in lard or dripping won't kill you and taste stunning.

I used to prefer Chop sauce to HP but not seen that in years.

remember all these lovely foods but how about the treat in winter, camp coffee didnt have it often but a divine taste
to die for edd

remember all these lovely foods but how about the treat in winter, camp coffee didnt have it often but a divine taste
to die for edd

Ahh, Camp Coffee....you have to draw the line somewhere and that is it. My dad loved it made with steri milk a taste I never shared. Anyone remember the Tow Rope cafe opposite the Rum Runner? They used to sell it. Roll out of the runner about 02:30 and if you couldn't afford a curry and a jug of 'water' at the Star of Asia it was into the cafe for tea and a fry up.

Ahh, Camp Coffee....you have to draw the line somewhere and that is it. My dad loved it made with steri milk a taste I never shared. Anyone remember the Tow Rope cafe opposite the Rum Runner? They used to sell it. Roll out of the runner about 02:30 and if you couldn't afford a curry and a jug of 'water' at the Star of Asia it was into the cafe for tea and a fry up.

Had a few late night fry ups in the Tow Rope after Barbarellas closed. Cant remember what coffee they sold, but from what I remember of the place it wasnt the Coffee that was camp !

You can still get Camp Coffee. I saw some on sale here in Canada about a year or two ago. The little bottle still looked the same to me. I prefer the regular coffee beans. They must have used this in camp during the Criamean war. Actually this was on sale in a butchers store.

You can still get Camp Coffee. I saw some on sale here in Canada about a year or two ago. The little bottle still looked the same to me. Can't think why anyone would buy this in place of the real stuff though. They must have used this in camp during the Criamean war. Actually this was on sale in a butchers store.

It was actually chicory with a tiny amount of coffee added.

I recall two treats from my childhood that I revisited as an adult. Rum Baba's a childhood treat from 'Barrows Store' (Barrases if a Brummie) in Birmingham when Mom was feeling like indulging herself and Big Choux pastry buns filled with cream we got from the baker's van on Fridays. The Rum Babas were sad shadows of what I remembered or was it simply that the ones I had as a kid were both a treat and naughty indulgence (even though the Rum was probably but a flavour)? The Choux buns were filled with what my Dad called Sympathetic cream.

Bernie when we moved from Hockley to Edgbaston, we used to get rum babas from cake shop on Broad Street at Five Ways - the syrup used to just drizzle through your fingers when you eat them. Delicious.

I used to use Camp Coffee for coffee and walnut cake, because it gave a better flavour in cake than instant coffee. I believe it is still available. Much prefer fresh coffee, but I do (or did) prefer synthetic cream to fresh.

Back