• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tascos Co-op

Just a guess but possibly Associated Union of Cooperative Employees, if there was such a thing

A Stirchley & Ten Acres Co op shop on Castle Square, Weoley Castle. The image was taken in 1959, this is the only knowledge I have of this shop as I have been on Castle Square only once in my life and that was about forty years ago.

Weoley Castle Castle Square 1959.jpg

Last edited:
My grandfather Mr Baldwin was a baker who worked at the TASCOS Bakery at the corner of Mary Vale Road and Charlotte Road. I lived there with him and my grandmother from about 1942 till 1957. I have a copy of the definitive history book on the society "Seventy-Five Years of Co-operative Endeavour" by Harry M. Vickrage published in 1950. It has lots of pictures of Co-op shops!

Stirchley
1393 Pershore Road Stirchley, I have no other information once again with this one but a friend tells me that if all the bread baked at these premises for one week was laid end to end it would stretch for about 11-12 miles. This makes me think that this must have been the company's main bakery before the large Co-op one at Stetchford opened.
Screenshot_2023-06-04-09-10-45-225~2.jpg
lll~0.jpeg

1393 Pershore Road Stirchley, I have no other information once again with this one but a friend tells me that if all the bread baked at these premises for one week was laid end to end it would stretch for about 11-12 miles. This makes me think that this must have been the company's main bakery before the large Co-op one at Stetchford opened.

Back