• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tanworth Lane

Suerogers

Lived in small Lodge on Tanworth Lane mid 60's, it had a well in the garden. My Dad worked for Solihull Council and said they owned it and the big house. He is dead now and would love to know the name of the big house, was it Tatterpool Farm?

I suspect it might be Sans Souci - owned by Solihull council and when I first knew it in the late 70s was the teachers' centre. Used for training purposes and also social events. Going from Stratford Road it was on the right, almost opposite Blackford Road and just before what was, in those days, the Three Maypoles pub.
I don't know the farm you refer to.

Just done some searching and it now seems to be a training centre Sans Souci Google maps

Last edited:
I am sure there is some info on another thread. The reason I suggested Sans Souci is because I know it had a lodge on the right of the drive and was owned by the council
The lodge can be seen on 2008 street view.
Did the farm have a lodge?

Sans Soucis too far up Tanworth Lane, my Dad said Solihull sold it to developer who built the houses on Hathaway so I am sure it was demolished. My brother who is older has looked at at Sans South and said it's not that! I remember going into the house and the main room had 2 fireplaces it seemed huge to Me!

You need access to the e rolls for the 1960s. This will give an address for your parents - this might be enough to identify the house. If not then access to maps from that date might be needed.
I don't think Solihull e rolls are online - last time I needed them I had to visit Solihull library and look on microfilm but they might be digitised by now. The library also have copies of relevant maps.

Would the council have owned the farm? Or did they compulsory purchase it before building?
They had probably got it via compulsory purchase but it had been empty a long time! My Mom always told the tale of looking out of the window to see a herd of cows in our drive, after this happened a few times she just opened the gate and let them out onto Tanworth Rd! She was used to cows as she had spent 8 years in Wiltshire around farms and cows!

Last edited:
Lived in small Lodge on Tanworth Lane mid 60's, it had a well in the garden. My Dad worked for Solihull Council and said they owned it and the big house. He is dead now and would love to know the name of the big house, was it Tatterpool Farm?
Did you ever solve your puzzle? My daughter recently moved into a place just about where you are talking, it’s an old farmhouse

Back