• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tangye Brothers Engineers

Hopefully some will but you asked, amongst other things, where it was - the link answers that.

Owl - Not sure if you have looked through this thread for information? It may be worthwhile also putting Tangyes into the search faciltiy as it throws up a few posts with Tangyes mentioned.

20130619_18.jpg 20130619_17.jpg
These two Tangye engines made it to the other side of the world. They are on display at the Transport Museum in Auckland, NZ

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps to locate it but on a share prospectus in 1952 Cornwall Works, Smethwick is described as having frontage to Cornwall Road, Rabone Lane and Booth Street.

I'm back in Auckland in a couple of months, so I'll keep a look out for you. I'll also be going to the local history research centre that includes some Oz stuff; I'll let you know if I find anything further

I spotted a Tangye engine on the island of Santorini in Greece about four yeas ago, they were exported everywhere

I bought this book several years ago published by S.W. Partridge & Co London 1889.

Richard Tangye Book 001.jpg

Had a large Tangye pump on the side of a lake on a shore establishment down south, in the 60s, used as a emergency hydrant supply, used to start it up once a month.

Have you seen the see the print from the British Workman that is currently on sale on Ebay.

Gosh Wendy, there's one on eBay at £75!!

Last edited:
I notice there is a 'factory gate film' of workers leaving the factory in 1901.
About 1minute 40seconds into the film a man about to light his cigarette strikes a match on his trousers !!
https://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watc...angyes-engineering-works-smethwick-1901-1901/
Displays best with the Edge browser or with Internet Explorer .... Click the 'Watch for Free' green button.
The Chrome browser will not display it well.
It will if 'Watch for Free' green button is clicked then use bottom scroll bar to find another green button off screen low on the right. It will display with no problems on iPads.

Last edited:
I notice there is a 'factory gate film' of workers leaving the factory in 1901.
About 1minute 40seconds into the film a man about to light his cigarette strikes a match on his trousers !!
https://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watc...angyes-engineering-works-smethwick-1901-1901/

what a wonderful insight of social history phil...and how young the lads were as they were in those days...such fun going on as well poking fun at the camera and all wanting a piece of the action....i bet they never thought that well over 100 years later we would be watching them...it has made me wonder now if there are any other such films of workers leaving chances glass in west bromwich...my grandad worked there in the 20s and or 30s..

lyn

Back