• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tangye Brothers Engineers

Hopefully some will but you asked, amongst other things, where it was - the link answers that.

Owl - Not sure if you have looked through this thread for information? It may be worthwhile also putting Tangyes into the search faciltiy as it throws up a few posts with Tangyes mentioned.

20130619_18.jpg 20130619_17.jpg
These two Tangye engines made it to the other side of the world. They are on display at the Transport Museum in Auckland, NZ

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps to locate it but on a share prospectus in 1952 Cornwall Works, Smethwick is described as having frontage to Cornwall Road, Rabone Lane and Booth Street.

I'm back in Auckland in a couple of months, so I'll keep a look out for you. I'll also be going to the local history research centre that includes some Oz stuff; I'll let you know if I find anything further

I spotted a Tangye engine on the island of Santorini in Greece about four yeas ago, they were exported everywhere

I bought this book several years ago published by S.W. Partridge & Co London 1889.

Richard Tangye Book 001.jpg

Had a large Tangye pump on the side of a lake on a shore establishment down south, in the 60s, used as a emergency hydrant supply, used to start it up once a month.

Have you seen the see the print from the British Workman that is currently on sale on Ebay.

Gosh Wendy, there's one on eBay at £75!!

Last edited:
I notice there is a 'factory gate film' of workers leaving the factory in 1901.
About 1minute 40seconds into the film a man about to light his cigarette strikes a match on his trousers !!
https://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watc...angyes-engineering-works-smethwick-1901-1901/
Displays best with the Edge browser or with Internet Explorer .... Click the 'Watch for Free' green button.
The Chrome browser will not display it well.
It will if 'Watch for Free' green button is clicked then use bottom scroll bar to find another green button off screen low on the right. It will display with no problems on iPads.

Last edited:
About 1minute 40seconds into the film a man about to light his cigarette strikes a match on his trousers !!
https://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watc...angyes-engineering-works-smethwick-1901-1901/

what a wonderful insight of social history phil...and how young the lads were as they were in those days...such fun going on as well poking fun at the camera and all wanting a piece of the action....i bet they never thought that well over 100 years later we would be watching them...it has made me wonder now if there are any other such films of workers leaving chances glass in west bromwich...my grandad worked there in the 20s and or 30s..

lyn

Hi Lyn, Although there are many old films on the BFI site there are only a few of the Birmingham area but many in other industrial towns. They certainly were not 'camera shy' in those early days of public filming. If anyone else looks at the BFI site, I found it helps to click the 'Ask Later' button to centre the film on the screen. Their 'Search' works well.
Phil

thanks phil ive just found a couple of pathe clips showing the work inside chances...also just emailed sandwell archives who hold the employment records for chances glass as i would love to know just exactly when grandad worked there and what his job was....he served in france during ww1 gassed a couple of times but im not sure if he then went straight to chances...he died in 1938 aged just 50..mom told me he used to cycle all the way from paddington st aston to get to work and of course cycle back

lyn

Hi
Yep I worked for a while for Tangee Shelly in greet I the mid 60,s. It was a strange bits and bobs
Operarion still making the James Motor Cycle for the Post Office and the ShellyJack.
The planning and Drawing Office was full of all records.
Sadley all gone and I was on my way to Lucas Great King Street.

Mike Jenks

Very interesting film. I notice that nearly all the women leaving had headscarves, but for what reason? Modesty? Back in the 1880s it was said that nearly all of the 2000 staff of Tangye were on the waggon!

Very interesting film. I notice that nearly all the women leaving had headscarves, but for what reason? Modesty? Back in the 1880s it was said that nearly all of the 2000 staff of Tangye were on the waggon!

Please forget the scarves, I somehow slipped to workers leaving the Jute Factory in Barrow! Have now found the correct one for Tangye.

Before we forget the scarfs, all women in factories wore scarfs usually tied as a turban to keep their hair out of machinery. Elf & Safety is not all that new.

Back