• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tangye Brothers Engineers

Hi
Yep I worked for a while for Tangee Shelly in greet I the mid 60,s. It was a strange bits and bobs
Operarion still making the James Motor Cycle for the Post Office and the ShellyJack.
The planning and Drawing Office was full of all records.
Sadley all gone and I was on my way to Lucas Great King Street.

Mike Jenks
I Worked for R T Shelly in Aston Brook Street it was part of Norton Motor Cycles in Bracebridge Street made redundant due to Norton moving to London, still got a reference from Tangee Shelly for references when emigrating to Australia.My ousin by Marriage used to work there a Ruth Parker her Maiden name

It never ceases to amaze me where some of the equipment made by Tangye ended up. This small water pump is in a remote part of the Peak District on the River Wye north of Bakewell.

Monsel Trail Aug 21_0010.jpg

Attachments

• Monsel Trail Aug 21_0011.jpg
    Monsel Trail Aug 21_0011.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Monsel Trail Aug 21_0012.jpg
    Monsel Trail Aug 21_0012.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Monsel Trail Aug 21_0013.jpg
    Monsel Trail Aug 21_0013.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Monsel Trail Aug 21_0014.jpg
    Monsel Trail Aug 21_0014.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Monsel Trail Aug 21_0015.jpg
    Monsel Trail Aug 21_0015.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Monsel Trail Aug 21_0016.jpg
    Monsel Trail Aug 21_0016.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 10
It’s at Grid Ref: SK 17222 71395 and is the remains of a three-throw water pump. Possible supplied water to Brushfiled Hough

interestingly the book was republished in 1905, a year before Richard Tangye's death. It was re-titled The Rise of a Great Industry
Pedro, thank you for that information. I have been reading about Tangye Bros for the last two hours, the more i read the more I want to know.

The original book is available on Amazon US, for $902.81(?) and the newer version is unavailable. I will go to my local library tomorrow, in the meantime I would appreciate other suggestion/recommendations.

Thank you in advance!

There is a short book written by Stephan Roberts in 2015...Sir Richard Tangye 1833-1906, A Cornish Entrepreneur in Victorian Birmingham.

Should be much less than 900 dollars !

There is a short book written by Stephan Roberts in 2015...Sir Richard Tangye 1833-1906, A Cornish Entrepreneur in Victorian Birmingham.

Yes, thank you, I did see that…….I wil read the except on Amazon!

Richard
I was a bit shocked at your price, especially as I had a copy of the 4th edition
If you go to Abe books (https://www.abebooks.co.uk/)

ONE & ALL AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY
TANGYE RICHARD SIR of the Cornwall Works, Birmingham:
Published by PARTRIDGE
Seller: Book Cupboard, PLYMOUTH, DEVON, United Kingdom
Contact seller
Seller Rating: 4-star rating

Used - Hardcover
£ 25
Convert currency
£ 3.40 Shipping
Within United Kingdom
Quantity: 1
Add to Basket
1898 4TH EDTION GREEN / GILT PICTORIAL BOARDS PICTORIAL END PAPERS PRIZE BOOKPLATE 1899 INSIDE FRONT BOARD SHOP STAMP DEVONPORT.
though postage to US woulc be greater

But from US

One and All: An Autobiography of Sir Richard Tangye of the Cornwall Works,Birmingham​

Richard Tangye

Published by S. W. Partridge & Co., London, 1889
Condition: Near Fine Hardcover
Save for Later
From Yesterday's Book Shop (Member IOBA) (Winston, GA, U.S.A.)
AbeBooks Seller Since 12 October 2017 Seller Rating 5-star rating
Association Member:
View all 1 copies of this book
1 Usedfrom£ 44.75

Richard
I was a bit shocked at your price, especially as I had a copy of the 4th edition

Published by PARTRIDGE
Contact seller

Used - Hardcover
£ 25
Convert currency
£ 3.40 Shipping
Within United Kingdom
Add to Basket
1898 4TH EDTION GREEN / GILT PICTORIAL BOARDS PICTORIAL END PAPERS PRIZE BOOKPLATE 1899 INSIDE FRONT BOARD SHOP STAMP DEVONPORT.

But from US

One and All: An Autobiography of Sir Richard Tangye of the Cornwall Works,Birmingham​

Richard Tangye

Save for Later
Association Member:
1 Usedfrom£ 44.75
Thank you Mike! I went the first link which is in India, they have both hard and soft cover, less than $30.00 and less than $19.00 US . Both books are printed on demand which adds a few days.

I looked at the other links coming from the UK, little more money but will decide tomorrow all much better than Amazon US.

The book that Pedro recomended was very reasonable on Amazon US so I ordered it.

Tomorrow I will look at the links you sent and place an order.

Thanks agin for your help!

Most new books now are print to order so it looks as if someone is providing a service for old out of copyright books but these will be dependent on the quality of the optical character recognition and whether they have proof read the copy.

I have a friend who has just published a book and she had orders from Sweden which she got printed in Germany to avoid crossing the UK/EU border.

Richard

Published by PARTRIDGE
Contact seller

Used - Hardcover
£ 25
Convert currency
£ 3.40 Shipping
Within United Kingdom
Add to Basket

But from US

Richard Tangye

Save for Later
Association Member:
1 Usedfrom£ 44.75

Pedro, received the book from Amazon this evening, $7.99, so far a very good read!

Thank you!

Just for interest Amazon owns Abe Books.
David,
That is most interesting! For the most part the books are different, and their pricing is all over the place. One book I want that I saw in a link that Mike provided is at a store in Georgia which is neiboring state. They seem to want to ship to the UK not US, maybe because it was a UK link. I will call them today!

Pedro, received the book from Amazon this evening, $7.99, so far a very good read!

Thank you!
I finished the book yesterday that Pedro recommended! Highly recommend this book, very insightful and recognized Birmingham History Forum for their contribution. The footnote are outstanding!

Now to search Mikes links for other opportunities.

Thank you everyone for your help and guidance.

Back