• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tame Road Witton

IMG_0034.JPGIMG_0035.JPGIMG_0036.JPG

Tame Road, Witton. The man in the cap is Alfred Granville Snape who was my moms stepfather. They lived at 24 Tame Road in the 40's.

I also lived at 2 Tame Road (above the post office) in 1973-75.

The first photo brought back memories of the 50/60's. Post office on the corner with Deykin Ave, run by Mr. and Mrs. Wragge. Hardware store, Mr. Tallis (later Mr.Jones). Fruit and Veg Mr.and Mrs. Goody. Barber Shop, Harold Weaver. There was also a Butcher and Newsagent.

Thanks for sharing your photo's with us Chris. Drove past your family house last week. 113 I think it is?. Welcome to the forum chipito.

I knew people in Thame Road, Joyce Bell who I still see from time to time. I also went out with David Littlemoore, his parents had a grocers shop. His pal Brian Baker lived on the opposite corner and his family had the cafe.

Lovely photo's, I guess the flood was in the early 50's when the Tame burst its bank.

Hi Shere, was the lad at the front of pictures 1 and 3 Harry. If so was he in the Boys Brigade. Sorry I cannot recall his surname. I lived at 68 Brantley Road. Regards George

I remember Brian Baker. He was good on the ivories (Piano) I remember. I have not seen him since I left Deykin Avenue school in 1951. Whatever happened to him ?., Regards George (Not my birth name)

Hi Chipito, I went to school with Angus in the late forties and early fifties. Didn't your granddad sell the newspapers ?., Regards George

Are you related to the tustins from acocks green or Aberdeen street Winson green or studley
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Hi jean
Nice to hear from you as its been ages since we last spoke mind you I have missed a lot of things and topics on this site
I have noticed a lot of new names as well now which is good
Yes its a very small world jean, I have to say and met old friends on here and even cousins from afar whom I have not heard or seen
Of in years
On the subject of old friends how is Sandra and young george these days where do they live now
And of course old Pete I hope you are still looking after him and feeding him well
And whilst you mention I one old friends I have just been on old Ladywood site and by golly I must know three parts of them from decades ago
It will take me a month to start mailing them people I went to school with and some I worked with and neibours
Its a terror site for meeting old friends as you say its a small world
Jean are you going to the Xmas party its at the bull is it not ,
I must try and contact Sandra and George and introduce myself I have been trying to track joyce whom is georges father sister
We go back decades from when she was sixteen,I surprise shesgot an army of kid now mind you we are oldeie now girl ain't we
At the moment I ain't in no shape at the moment with health issues that's why I aint on regular
But I will pick up soon. I hope,okay
Jean until I hear from you again give my regards to Pete best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

Hi Chipito, I went to school with Angus in the late forties and early fifties. Didn't your granddad sell the newspapers ?., Regards George
Angus Jack?
One of Elizabeth's sons?
He now lives in Perry Barr (and must be getting on a bit).
I'm not sure whether Grandad Jack sold papers but one of his sons (Lewis) did.
He sold the Evening Mail opposite the Odeon, New Street on a Saturday and I helped out sometimes.
I can still hear the thousands of starlings that inhabited New Street of an evening (now all gone).
And recall the Hot Potato and Chestnut seller at the bottom of New Street Ramp.......

My Nan and Grandad (Elizabeth and John Jack) lived at 66 in the 60's.
Hi Chipito, I knew all the Jack family, your Nan And Grandad, Billy, Lewis, Angus, Jimmy, Agnis (Singa), and Peter who was my best friend from being boys at school, until we both married and lost touch, my name is Terry Shaw and I lived at 58 Tame Road, I know this is a late reply but I only just found this forum, if you see my message please reply and let me know how all your family are these days.

Welcome to the forum Terry. Hopefully Chipito will see your post and reply. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

Great photos at the start of the thread. Somewhere my mother had a few pictures of floods of an earlier time at Tame Road, I will have to have another search.

Not far up Tame Road, from the Tame, I seem to remember from my youth a fishing tackle shop?
The lady let us have chrysalis quite cheap, much befpore the days they were called casters.

I remember a tackle shop at the bottom of Witton road by the island. Will ask Pete if he remembers a tackle shop on Tame road Pedrocut.

My great-grandparents Albert Shelley and wife Annie-Jane lived at 127 Tame Road from around 1910 to the end of their lives (Albert died in 1929 aged 71, Annie-Jane in 1935 aged 77). Their children Bill, Matilda, Maud, Albert, Annie-Jane, George and Alfred would all have stayed there inthe earlier years too. I don't expect anyone in the Forum to remember them, but here is Albert and his wife, both photo's taken in the garden I think, the younger man in the photo with Annie-Jane is their son William ('Bill') Shelley.

Attachments

• SHELLEYAlbertsenior.jpg
    SHELLEYAlbertsenior.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 8b7d3f25-dbca-44dd-93c3-c9615d19337b.jpg
    8b7d3f25-dbca-44dd-93c3-c9615d19337b.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 30
Back