• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tame Road Witton

Welcome Vivien. A lovely photo and great that you have the business card too. Always good to see examples of women running businesses at a time when it was less usual. My great grandma did the same - more from necessity than by choice of course. Viv.

Welcome Bounds. I shall move your post to an existing thread, which you might also find of interest. Viv.

Edit. Posts now merged.

There was a Mr D Hinckley at that address in September 1966 (from Sports Argus). Viv.

Attachments

• 2CEC7DDA-9810-417D-9399-7005D39EF57E.jpeg
    2CEC7DDA-9810-417D-9399-7005D39EF57E.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi Bounds. The thread is now merged with this one, so the earlier posts before your post #34 above are from the other thread. Viv.

My Nan and Grandad (Elizabeth and John Jack) lived at 66 in the 60's.
Hi Chipito, I went to school with Angus in the late forties and early fifties. Didn't your granddad sell the newspapers ?., Regards George
Mr Jack did sell newspapers, so did one of his sons Louis, I lived four doors away from the Jack family at 58 Tame Road, peter was my best friend.

Doe4s anyone remember seeing Batman & Robin when they visited Tame Road, Witton in 1966 or 67. M y nephew who was 4/5 years old at the time was taken to see them by his dad, and they were in a photo in the Birmingham Mail, I don't recall this but my son does., I just can't imagine what they were doing there, no cinemas or places of entertainment in the area.

21st November 1966 they were interviewed on Midlands Today as part of their Road Safety visit. A google research revealed that much but the link said the video was not available. Someone else might be more successful than I was. :)

Thanks Janice, I will tell my nephew, he has looked up the Birmingham Mail at the library, but couldn't find anything - I think he only looked in October 1966.

I searched for "batman and robin in Birmingham" and it came up with enough for me to see what they were doing.

My Great Grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Carthew, lived at 12 Tame Road, Witton in 1911 where she saw her two daughters get married.

Hello, does anyone remember a Reg/Reginald Houghton of Tame road, he was in the Evening Mail , article about his flowering hanging baskets and growing tomatoes.

Back