• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Talford St

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike could i have a map please hightlighting number 39 its for a new member

thanks mike

lyn

Last edited:
This photograph was taken from Telford Street, number 39 would have been almost between the two lamp posts, the nearest lamp post was between numbers 29 and 31...my school mate lived at number 29 and we used to use the lamp post as a goal post.....1617206_10205440066268377_1251874865600547068_o.jpg

Around 1955 when I was 6 years old my brother Jeff and myself used to join a savings club at a shop in Talford Street, then a few days before bonfire night we would go to choose our fireworks using the money saved. It was such a magical event, we kept them in a biscuit tin and of course they were examined regularly prior to the 5th.
Kelly's directory lists Mrs. Doris Ivy Tucker as a shopkeeper at No. 23 (a map is shown in Mike's post #2 above). I'm fairly sure this was the shop we used, I have a vague memory it was roughly half way down Talford Street on the left hand side.
I would be grateful if a member could confirm this? Did you buy fireworks here also?

Around 1955 when I was 6 years old my brother Jeff and myself used to join a savings club at a shop in Talford Street, then a few days before bonfire night we would go to choose our fireworks using the money saved. It was such a magical event, we kept them in a biscuit tin and of course they were examined regularly prior to the 5th.
Kelly's directory lists Mrs. Doris Ivy Tucker as a shopkeeper at No. 23 (a map is shown in Mike's post #2 above). I'm fairly sure this was the shop we used, I have a vague memory it was roughly half way down Talford Street on the left hand side.
I would be grateful if a member could confirm this? Did you buy fireworks here also?
:grinning:there was another no 55 on the corner if i remember right

:grinning:there was another no 55 on the corner if i remember right
That's right Pete, on that side of the street there were shops at 23, 15 (corner), 3 & 1.
Very sad to see the picture in post #3, I was only at Burlington Street School for 2/3 years but the quality of teaching there at such a young age has stayed with me all my life.

That's right Pete, on that side of the street there were shops at 23, 15 (corner), 3 & 1.
Very sad to see the picture in post #3, I was only at Burlington Street School for 2/3 years but the quality of teaching there at such a young age has stayed with me all my life.
i used the shop on the corner of webster st,/telford.st a nice lady. happy times there. up on the retreat.playing. always some where to mooch around there.was there a shop at no8?

i used the shop on the corner of webster st,/telford.st a nice lady. happy times there. up on the retreat.playing. always some where to mooch around there.was there a shop at no8?
I used to play on the Retreat too, I've told this story somewhere on here before about the time me and my mate went there and Roy Holder was there with his much older mates, they had a fire going and thought it was great fun to hold us over the fire by our arms and legs. No harm done though, couldn't mention it to mum & dad else I'd have had a telling off for going there in the first place.

I used to play on the Retreat too, I've told this story somewhere on here before about the time me and my mate went there and Roy Holder was there with his much older mates, they had a fire going and thought it was great fun to hold us over the fire by our arms and legs. No harm done though, couldn't mention it to mum & dad else I'd have had a telling off for going there in the first place.
that strange we new roy as well. wonder what become of him. must look:grinning:
Born 15th June 1946 in a back to back house in Park Lane Aston, attended Burlington Street and Upper Thomas Street schools
His first acting role was in the Train Set made in the ATV studio's on Aston Cross in the early 1960s. Roy also appeared along side Hayley Mills in "Whistle down the Wind".
Other roles were in Z Cars, Doctor Who, The Caves of Androzani and Sorry

Back