• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tales of Guildford Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem history has is snobbery. This is especially true around perceived historical knowledge. Some people use it as a way of separating themselves from everyone else, with their sense of superior knowledge of so call historical facts, as if these facts add up to a complete subjective truth of past events.

When you really get to study history, and start to gain an insight, you begin to realise how much you don’t know, and how inaccurate the so-called historical facts are.

The problem history has is snobbery. This is especially true around perceived historical knowledge. Some people use it as a way of separating themselves from everyone else, with their sense of superior knowledge of so call historical facts, as if these facts add up to a complete subjective truth of past events.

When you really get to study history, and start to gain an insight, you begin to realise how much you don’t know, and how inaccurate the so-called historical facts are.
You can remove this historical snob from your list of forum members.
Thank You.
Boomy.

Oh dear! Strange how storms can appear out of a clear blue sky.

Those who enjoy membership of this Forum and therefore get most benefit from it, seem to me to be those who take it for what it is: a happy place to share knowledge and experience about the history of our City – sometimes provided by people who may have previously thought little about history, sometimes by others who are quite serious historians and, usually, by the many who lie somewhere in between. All can provide something new and interesting and informative, much of which, had it not been for this modern technology, would never, ever have seen the light of day and not been available to future historians. The principles of serious historical research remain just as valid here as when using any other source: caution, judgement and checking. But much of the information posted here over the years will surely be of value to someone, somewhere, some time in the future.

I for one hope it gets properly archived, every single word of it.

Chris

I have just posted one of my stories about Guildford Street here:
There is also an earlier one here:
Eden Place was across the road and a little lower down from where Gina lived
The Tree is set where the Barracks were in Guildford Street - a courtyard behind number 26, next door to Rudhall's shop which features in Gina'a book
Oh thank you Michael, I love your stories. I shall read this with my nice cup of tea this afternoon!

I have just posted one of my stories about Guildford Street here:
There is also an earlier one here:
Eden Place was across the road and a little lower down from where Gina lived
The Tree is set where the Barracks were in Guildford Street - a courtyard behind number 26, next door to Rudhall's shop which features in Gina'a book
Thank you Michael, I love your stories and look forward to reading this!!

Hi, I am new to the forum and posted some memories yesterday but I am not sure I did it in the right place! I dont know what threads are and I am not a historian overflowing with factual information. I just felt the need to share my memories and read other Brummies memories of The back to backs in Birmingham, Guildford street. I am 67, born at 3 backa 162 Guilford street in 1953. I am not computer literate but am trying my best to work things out on here. any help would be appreciated. best regards Phil Ashford. (PCA)

hi phil..if you click on the link below it will take you to the guildford st thread..this is the best place to post your memories and there are lots of old photos of the street to see...this thread is really about the guildford st book so i will get your post moved to the correct thread...hope this helps...oh just a little tip..when going onto a new thread make sure you start reading it from post 1 that ways you wont miss anything...and try to use the search box at the top of the page as we do have designated sections for most subjects

lyn

Good morning PCA Phil, welcome to Birmingham History Forum. If you’re not sure where to post, then the General Discussion section will be fine. We can always move it if needed. We are here to help not hinder.

A piece of advice I will give you is; don’t let a lack of historical knowledge or so called factual information get in the way of your memories. The past is just how you remember it and we love hearing of the memories of everyday people.

Please do share away. You can if you wish, write out your memories on a word processor programme. You can then revise and edit what you have written, then just cut and past it as a post.

Above all, enjoy and have fun.

snap we posted at the same time mort...i am going to close this thread for a while because some posts need moving to the correct section of the forum which is the guildford st lozells thread

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back