• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Talbot Street, Winson Green

Suzi

Brummie babby
Hi

Does anyone remember the shop on the corner of Talbot Street, Winson Green. It was run by my Great Great Grandmother. Think it sold a bit of everything, Would love to know if anyone had any stories about her or the shop.

Thanks

It was 92 Talbot Street the corner onto Lodge Road. On the 1911 census it has my Great Great Grandmother Sarah Giles a widower running the shop, she later remarried and became Sarah Smith.
Any photos of the shop would be great :) Thanks

She was there for a fair number of years early 1900,s till about 1945?

It was 92 Talbot Street the corner onto Lodge Road. On the 1911 census it has my Great Great Grandmother Sarah Giles a widower running the shop, she later remarried and became Sarah Smith.
Any photos of the shop would be great :) Thanks

I beleive so my Dad was born in 1947 and she came to live with them in Small Heath when he was very young with her dog Betty. He has limited memory of her apart from she was a bit scary :)

Some reconstructed slum housing in Talbot Street, number 30-34. (Image from Shoothill site). Viv.

94693EB6-E7EE-4E87-B502-D40B1BA3E4E0.jpeg

A thread about the brewery, which may have owned the cottages, I believe it was the Rising Sun.
There is a bit here about the Rising Sun but it is a little mixed up with a place of the same name in Heneage Street:

PS: I am glad it wasn't deleted :D

Back