• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tailor Shops

dennis

master brummie
Talking of shops got me thinking to my mispent youth, many many years ago,Saturday's I would go into town,Zissmans was one of my port of calls,
another (was down below Wooly's in the Bullring) there to get a nice shirt ,cutaway collar embroidered around the edge,then a nice tie at the time one with a painted lady on it was the fashion,that was before bootlace& knitted ties came into fashion,Gould's in Newtown Row was where I would go to be measured for a nice sky blue or Beige drape suit, then a nice pair of suade blue /brown shoes would complete the dress Colourful ,you may say,well it was the fashion for us lads
And it did make a change from her Majesty's uniforms

Had one or two suits from Zissmans.

Anyone remember a bespoke tailor, in the 50's, by the Town Hall. :?: St.Stephensons Place I think it was. If you were going towards the Hall of Memory from Colmore Row, you would pass the shop and could see him sitting crossed legged on a table, hand sowing the suits.
I vowed at the time I would have a suit from there, although he was quite expensive :(
I did, I had my wedding suit from there. :D
Nothing was too expensive for the gal I married :!: :!: :lol:

Back