• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

T J Skelton Medal Vyse Street

A fairly elite organisation that charges not insignificant amounts for its membership, Janice. I'm thinking along the lines of the British Chambers of Commerce where you join via a county/town hierarchy - the BL could be a code for the actually branch to which you belong, but membership does give you access to a number of high level events during the year, discounts with various suppliers, and discounts on export doumentation, that sort of thing.

Was this T W Deakin the same one of Rhodes Motors fame? Current annual membership for a sole trader at town level is £250 per annum.

Maurice :cool:

There was a Thomas James Skelton based in Vyse Street in the early 1900s who made medals (and probably other items) and used the initials TJS

When I checked the Chester mark is 3 wheat sheaves plus a sword between the top 2 sheaves. Also the sheaves were a different shape from the ones I thought I could see. That is why I thought it was Newcastle. However it is not very clear on the photo.
Perhaps Daniel is able to see if there looks like a sword between the sheaves.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There was a Thomas James Skelton based in Vyse Street in the early 1900s who made medals (and probably other items) and used the initials TJS
[/QUOT
When I checked the Chester mark is 3 wheat sheaves plus a sword between the top 2 sheaves. Also the sheaves were a different shape. That is why I thought it was Newcastle.
Definitely Newcastle but if your info is correct (which I'm sure it is) Skelton was working after Newcastle assay office ceased trading in 1884. Could it be that he transferred his business from Newcastle to Birmingham and this was some of the stock he brought with him? Pure speculation I know but who knows?

I've just edited my post and suggested Daniel looks closely to help us decide what the hallmark is. Thomas Skelton is linked to Chester and I can't find a link to Newcastle at the moment.

The original did look like Newcastle. The pic in post 43 is far too blurred for me to see. However, given the dates it cannot be Newcastle as that ceased in 1884. I guess Chester it is.

Agree it is blurred but think there is a line/sword in the middle at the top
1602191491549.png

It also seems that T J Skelton continued to trade until at least the 1960s - possibly run by a Percy Skelton.

Just found this:
TJS medal

Agree it is blurred but think there is a line/sword in the middle at the top
View attachment 148969

It also seems that T J Skelton continued to trade until at least the 1960s - possibly run by a Percy Skelton.

Just found this:
TJS medal
Now that we've seen a picture of the original hallmark although blurred I would agree that it is Chester and not Newcastle which was first shown to us by Daniel on post#6

When I first saw the medal I wondered if it was awarded for rifle shooting. Having a clear out, I have just thrown out some of mine, some having a similar square with circles in. Also wondered if an auctioneer like Wintertons in Lichfield may be able to give some info.

TJS is recorded in the silversmiths list as T J Skelton of Birmingham, who still exist at 16 Well Street B19 3BJ 0121 554 0487 and are open today until 1630hrs. Could be worth a try, particularly if they still kept records.

Bob

Could the B.L. engraving stand for British Legion? I know that the Sheldon Ivy League branch had an active air rifle shooting section in the 1960s. Does anyone know of a British Legion club with the initials BCC?

As a matter of interest, T J Skelton was still there at 86 Vyse St when I was going round the Jewelelry quarter, as can be seen from then photograph from my 1969-73 thread. The name can be seen on the building with the windows in the roof below:

31A___86_-_88_Vyse_st.jpg

As a matter of interest, T J Skelton was still there at 86 Vyse St when I was going round the Jewelelry quarter, as can be seen from then photograph from my 1969-73 thread. The name can be seen on the building with the windows in the roof below:

View attachment 148975

mike i would have passed it many times when i worked in vyse st...i thought the name rang a bell... just done a street walk but cant find them in well st though see bobs post 50

oops i think this must be the place bob is talking about which is more or less on the spot where my nan had her little shop in the 1930s

oops i think this must be the place bob is talking about which is more or less on the spot where my nan had her little shop in the 1930s

W.H.Darby are the firm mentioned in the Google entry along with Vaughtons & Skelton.

Bob

I have changed my mind seeing the cleaned up version and I am sure that it is Chester Assay Office which closed in 1962 so I agree with others now suggesting Chester. I believe that often Birmingham items were sent to Chester if Birmingham was busy.

There is a Thomas W Deakin born 1901 - listed on 1939 reg at 203 Cleeve Road Yardley Wood. No idea if it is the right person and doesn't help with the medal. Think he is the son of the T W Deakin who was a police constable. Found on 1911 census at 15 Oakley Road Small Heath. 1901 census 103 Cheapside.

There is a Thomas William Deakin at 203 Glastonbury Road, Yardley Wood (right on the junction with School Road) in the 1935 electoral roll. In the 1939 'census' he was an Aero Rivetter and a volunteer air raid warden, stil at 203 Glastonbury Road (Cleeve Road, the next road parallel to Glastonbury Rd, does not have as many as 203 houses).

Back