• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

T J Skelton Medal Vyse Street

Daniel.P

Brummie babby
Hello everyone, I found this medal in my loft when we moved into our new home. Not sure what it is could anyone help, please.

Attachments

• 120890879_658776151737808_9089201682294667618_n.jpg
    120890879_658776151737808_9089201682294667618_n.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 121014821_943308232861921_5800135151639290600_n.jpg
    121014821_943308232861921_5800135151639290600_n.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 72
Is B.C.C Birmingham City Council?
I did wonder about a Cricket Club but would need to look up possible names. B L could refer to the Birmingham League.

On the other hand it is not that dissimilar to some of the senior traffic staff's travel passes, but it would have to be before BCT came about.

And a T.W. Deakin was the "Deakin" in Mead & Deakin and Rhode Motor Co. of Tyseley circa 1912. See this thread:-
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/rhode-motor-car.34829/

There was also a Police Constable Thomas William Deakin employed by the Corporation of Birmingham in 1911

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I found this medal in my loft when we moved into our new home. Not sure what it is could anyone help, please.
I see that it is Hallmarked, that would give us the date, the manufacturer and where it was hallmarked. If there is an ancor, it is a Birmingham hallmark

Bob

Hi,

Doesn't look like a Birmingham Hallmark., but it is dated 1929-30
Could the BL be Bowling League?

Kind regards
Dave

Hello all, hope you are keeping safe. I can hardly see the hallmarks but I did work out the first 2 in the picture below and the letters TJS above the hallmark. It also looks like something has come off the medal seen in the picture zoomed in.

Attachments

• hhjk.png
    hhjk.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    651.5 KB · Views: 36
Bob,

The first character could be an anchor, but why would an item of bronze or brass be hallmarked? And is that a year above that mark? Photograph of not good enough quality to be sure of anything much.

I googled T.W.Deakin (go on do it) and surprise, surprise I got a result which was Meade & Deakin and later Rhode Motor Company of Tyseley. Not a lot of information and unable to find a T W Deakin in 1901 or 1911 census, but if someone had the time......

Bob

The lion signifies 92.5% silver and the three castles, the Newcastle Assay Office. However Newcastle Assay Office closed long before the date of the inscription which suggests that it was a much later inscription on an old medal.

There is a Thomas W Deakin born 1901 - listed on 1939 reg at 203 Cleeve Road Yardley Wood. No idea if it is the right person and doesn't help with the medal. Think he is the son of the T W Deakin who was a police constable. Found on 1911 census at 15 Oakley Road Small Heath. 1901 census 103 Cheapside.
1602160319014.png

On the other hand it is not that dissimilar to some of the senior traffic staff's travel passes, but it would have to be before BCT came about.

And a T.W. Deakin was the "Deakin" in Mead & Deakin and Rhode Motor Co. of Tyseley circa 1912. See this thread:-
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/rhode-motor-car.34829/

There was also a Police Constable Thomas William Deakin employed by the Corporation of Birmingham in 1911

Apologies Maurice did not know that you had already done my hard work. As for T W Deakin, the genealogy records give you a choice, if only we knew what BCC and BL stood for.
Bob

Made me think of Archery but then wondered why B L. I also wondered if the Sports Argus might carry a record if it was a sporting medal. I don't have a subscription but can see there are several mentions (I looked 1930) but no idea what they refer to.

No problem, Bob.
I tried searching on "three concentric circles in a square' and got nowhere - about as far as a trade mark search!
The other problem is the number. Again not too clear and seven digits, so more like a military service number than a membership number or a PSV number, which leads with letters. What about B.L. for British Legion?

Hello all, hope you are keeping safe. I can hardly see the hallmarks but I did work out the first 2 in the picture below and the letters TJS above the hallmark. It also looks like something has come off the medal seen in the picture zoomed in.I
The three intrusions look rather like blobs of solder. But why in those particular places seems odd to me.

Cheers Daniel,

But it still doesn't look like a medal to me. More a pass or authorisation to be admitted somewhere for a winter season. The letters at the top appear to be T J S, but not necessarily in Birmingham.

We do seem to have a date of 1929 - 30. And it does seem that something, above the 'dartboard' :laughing: has been removed - maybe a clasp.

Back