• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

T.B.Sanatorium Kyre Park

Dawn Morris

Hi everyone. Does anyone recall a sanatorium in Birmingham for children with TB Called Kia Park (could be a different spelling). My mom was there in 1953 but I cannot find any information about it anywhere. Many thanks x

Hi everyone. Does anyone recall a sanatorium in Birmingham for children with TB Called Kia Park (could be a different spelling). My mom was there in 1953 but I cannot find any information about it anywhere. Many thanks x
It was called Kyre Park and was in Worcestershire south of Tenbury Wells on the B4214. The Midland Red ran a service on Sundays from Navigation St, regards, John.

Hi Dawn Morris, just seen your message re- Kyre Park Hospital' I was a patient there myself - 1954/56. I have many photos of KPH. This one attached is not of the best quality but taken i believe 1953, the year you said your mother was there.

Attachments

• KPH 2.jpg
    KPH 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
This photo taken @ Kyre Park Hospital Christmas time 1954, i'm the one on his haunches for some reason. Most of these boys would be from the Birmingham area.

Attachments

• Kyre boys big ward 2.jpg
    Kyre boys big ward 2.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 31
Hi Dawn I've just joined the B'ham history forum looking for history on Kyre Park hospital where I was a nurse in the 1950s I'm not sure wether I will be of any help to you but I will try

Mo Butler

Welcome Mo. Thank you for your kind offer. Dawn hasn’t visited the Forum for a while, but hopefully she will receive an alert about your response to this thread. If you too have any questions we can try to help with, please let us know. Viv.

Welcome Mo. Thank you for your kind offer. Dawn hasn’t visited the Forum for a while, but hopefully she will receive an alert about your response to this thread. If you too have any questions we can try to help with, please let us know. Viv.
Hi Viv I would love to hear from anyone who worked at Kyre Park around 1953 -1957
I certainly remember the male nurse in the photo posted by prezra
Mo

Hi Mobymo, i remember many names of staff and patients from my time @ KPH as a patient. I would be very curious as to know if we remember some of the same people. I was there from early 1954 until just before Christmas 1955.

Hi prezra, I'm sure we would know some of the same people. I've only just discovered the forum so not sure as to what can be posted ie names. I go back to Kyre on a regular basis as it brings back so many happy memories for me I live about 50 miles away
Mo

Hi prezra, I'm sure we would know some of the same people. I've only just discovered the forum so not sure as to what can be posted ie names. I go back to Kyre on a regular basis as it brings back so many happy memories for me I live about 50 miles away
Mo
Hi, Yes your probably right regards naming names etc. But i'll post this pic'and i'm sure you'll recognize some of the people on it Sister Deeprose for one. The photo only came my way within the last six months. I do have other photo's relating to KPH. I have also been back many times the place holds many memories for me. I note that you remember the male nurse - Mr Jeans. Regards Tony P'.

Attachments

• KPH.jpg
    KPH.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 21
Hi, Yes your probably right regards naming names etc. But i'll post this pic'and i'm sure you'll recognize some of the people on it Sister Deeprose for one. The photo only came my way within the last six months. I do have other photo's relating to KPH. I have also been back many times the place holds many memories for me. I note that you remember the male nurse - Mr Jeans. Regards Tony P'.
Hi Tony many thanks for the photo Miss Deprose was the matron and I do remember Mr Jeans was he Irish?If you have any more photos particularly of staff members although there weren't too many if my memory serves me well I remember we had a sister on the boys floor which was the top floor one on the girls floor and matron looked after the nursery children which was on the ground floor and the nurses home home sister who I remember well!!

Regards Mo

Hi Tony many thanks for the photo Miss Deprose was the matron and I do remember Mr Jeans was he Irish?If you have any more photos particularly of staff members although there weren't too many if my memory serves me well I remember we had a sister on the boys floor which was the top floor one on the girls floor and matron looked after the nursery children which was on the ground floor and the nurses home home sister who I remember well!!

Regards Mo
Hi Mo', I thought it was Sister Deeprose, but no matter - if you were a nurse there @ the time you would know. I have a vivid memory of her. I think Mr [ Staffnurse] Jeans hailed from Yorkshire. I do remember some other nurses names also. As i stated before i have many memories of Kyre, but perhaps some not to be shared publicly. So if emailing is ok with you, here's my address - [email protected] - I also live about 50 miles from KPH in South Derbyshire. A recent pic' of the nurses home. I may have one taken back in the 1950s, i'll check thatKPH nurses home.jpgKPH nurses home.jpg out. Regards Tony P'.

Hi Tony. We recommend removing your personal email address from this public forum. It might attract unwanted email. Instead you might want to use the Forum’s personal messaging system.

To do so, click on the small envelope alongside your user name/avatar on the blue bar at the top if this page. Click on “Start a Conversation”, then add the user name of the recipients, then your message.

Viv.

Back