• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

T.B.Sanatorium Kyre Park

there are photos on this thread but its best to start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

Hi all,
I stumbled across this page when searching for more information on Kyre Park TB hospital. My grandmother worked there as a nurse in the 1950s - her name was Gillian Hughes and she would have had a Hereford/Welsh accent. Does anyone remember her? My grandad was a local farmer and his farm was within walking distance. Before they married, my grandad apparently used to climb the drainpipes of Kyre hospital to see my grandmother! Attached is a photo of them (I'm unsure of the date).

Attachments

• crop nan and grandad.jpg
    crop nan and grandad.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 11
Hi all,
I stumbled across this page when searching for more information on Kyre Park TB hospital. My grandmother worked there as a nurse in the 1950s - her name was Gillian Hughes and she would have had a Hereford/Welsh accent. Does anyone remember her? My grandad was a local farmer and his farm was within walking distance. Before they married, my grandad apparently used to climb the drainpipes of Kyre hospital to see my grandmother! Attached is a photo of them (I'm unsure of the date).
Hello wilkesey, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

What a wonderful story about your Grandad and Grandmother!

Hello wilkesey, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

What a wonderful story about your Grandad and Grandmother!
Hi Wilkesey, So good to hear of someone with connections to Kyre Park Hospital. If you look thru' previous posts/threads you'll see my input. I was there early 1954 until Dec' 1955. Although i can remember many names i cant say i can remember a Gillian, what was her job title there - Nurse or other. As it happens i shall be visiting KPH next Saturday 16-10-2021. There is a book signing day. The book is about the history surrounding Kyre - author Maggie Kingsley. Regards Tony P'.

Hi Wilkesey, So good to hear of someone with connections to Kyre Park Hospital. If you look thru' previous posts/threads you'll see my input. I was there early 1954 until Dec' 1955. Although i can remember many names i cant say i can remember a Gillian, what was her job title there - Nurse or other. As it happens i shall be visiting KPH next Saturday 16-10-2021. There is a book signing day. The book is about the history surrounding Kyre - author Maggie Kingsley. Regards Tony P'.
sorry just reread your message and saw indeed Gillian was a nurse there. Would you know what wards - Boys top floor, Girls middle floor, usually toddlers ground floor. Tony P'.

Hi Dawn I've just joined the B'ham history forum looking for history on Kyre Park hospital where I was a nurse in the 1950s I'm not sure wether I will be of any help to you but I will try

Mo Butler
Hi Mo Butler [ mobymo ], I have just realised who you are now. I remember you as a nurse on our boys wards @ Kyre Park Hospital, also i remember a fellow nurse of yours Maureen Diegnan or Dagenam, she wrote to me a few times after i'd left KPH, wish i'd still got those letters. Like me you must have lots of memories of 'your' time there - would love to hear of them. I'm sure you know of the book that came out a couple of months ago by author Maggie Kingston titled - History of Kyre Manor and Church, i'm just making my way thru' that. If you can navigate back to the photo of us boys taken in the 'big' ward, taken @ Christmas 1954 - I'm the one on his haunches for some reason. Hope you see this message and respond, i have some news you may find of interest re - KPH. Regards Tony P'.

Hi everyone. Does anyone recall a sanatorium in Birmingham for children with TB Called Kia Park (could be a different spelling). My mom was there in 1953 but I cannot find any information about it anywhere. Many thanks x
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Just read this old message from Dawn Morris. I was also in Kyre Park with TB in 1953 aged just 4. My memory recalls an important occasion where us children dressed in our best, Sat on rows of chairs in the grounds. A vip lady walked along the row of us, followed by a man who gave each child a small tin of chocolate, the tin was royal blue with the royal crest on. Now I'm trying not to be fanciable, but it may have been the queen mother, why do I think this? Well it was the year of her daughters coronation. I would love to find out more and see if I was correct with the queen mother.

The newspapers in the online archive do not mention any such visit in 1953, but the archive is not comprehensive

The newspapers in the online archive do not mention any such visit in 1953, but the archive is not comprehensive
Thankyou, my memory is vague of that time, but I do recall the event, I didn't think it could be the queen mother, but probably some kind of dignitary maybe. I could even have the year wrong as it's possible it was 1952. My dad died in 1952 (same day as the King) and it was after his death. I wish I could find out more, but Thankyou anyway

This is a long shot but does anyone have a history of knowing the Kyre in the 1940s?? I am researching my grandads war history. He was wounded in Normandy July 1944 and treated at kyre (I think). My gran and great gran played the piano to the wounded soldiers and that’s how they met! I’d love to know more or at least confirm this is the place. Likely is as my gran lived in Bockleton (Barbara Helena Heath, Morher Margaret)

Thanks

Back