• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Symbols on Lucas Aerospace sculpture - meaning

APJones

Can somebody explain what all the symbols mean on this Lucas sculpture circa 1938-40 Shaftmore lane
and is it still there , preserved or destroyed now ? 132490

Welcome APJones. An interesting post. Maybe a forum member will be able to tell us what happened to the sculpture. Viv.

It was on the Staff entrance of Lucas Aerospace where I worked as a Jig and Tool Draughtsman and NC programmer until Rolls Royce went bankrupt over the production of the RB 211 Engine, when I was made redundant. Turned out OK and I was successful in getting a position as a FE Lecturer until I retired. The factory has had several owners, and is presently owned by Rolls Royce and removed to an industrial site close to the NEC. The original site... demolished.
The swirls are the same as the swirls that you see on the front of ALL gas turbine engines today to show that the engine is running. Gas turbine engines usually have swash pumps, which have pistons.

Last edited:
Welcome HJackson (edit). And thank you for the additional information. Like so many of these interesting plaques, they more often that not end up in rubble. Be good to find out that it hadn’t as it’s a nice example of Lucas industrial heritage. Viv.

Last edited:
I think that part of lucas is still standing its opposite the junction of Spring road Olton Boulevard West and Brifield road.

Welcome HJacobson. And thank you for the additional information. Like so many of these interesting plaques, they more often that not end up in rubble. Be good to find out that it hadn’t as it’s a nice example of Lucas industrial heritage. Viv.
n n no Viv its H Jackson Lucas Apprentice 1956 >Lucas toolmaker >Lucas jig and tool draughtsman > Lucasparts programmer > FE Lecturer.
Do you know of any Sons of Rest Sites in Birmingham?

Sincere apologies HJackson - Specsavers visit well overdue !

I wondered (optimistically) if the plaque might have gone into store somewhere. Does anyone know the sculptor ? It isn’t Wm Bloye as I’ve checked a list of his work and it doesn’t look to me like his style. Viv.

Good point Phil. Or maybe a control panel ? The extended index finger does seem to suggest the ‘squares’ might be keys/buttons for pressing (as Phil’s comment implies). Viv.

This is correct but it is in the process of moving to the industrial park near to the NEC, with the Shaftsmore Lane factory.
Have moved into a £100m factory on the Birmingham Business park near the NEC & airport. Together with the sister factory that was based at 1 York Rd , former Velocette motorcycle company , now a pile of rubble .

It was on the Staff entrance of Lucas Aerospace where I worked as a Jig and Tool Draughtsman and NC programmer until Rolls Royce went bankrupt over the production of the RB 211 Engine, when I was made redundant. Turned out OK and I was successful in getting a position as a FE Lecturer until I retired. The factory has had several owners, and is presently owned by Rolls Royce and removed to an industrial site close to the NEC. The original site... demolished.
The swirls are the same as the swirls that you see on the front of ALL gas turbine engines today to show that the engine is running. Gas turbine engines usually have swash pumps, which have pistons.
I think you are correct about the swirls, they are still on most jet and gas turbines...………...

As a contractor I went on lone to the maintanence at bw5 held an open day there one weekend. Worker bought the hobbies to show the public Inc steam trains bicycles from history Inc a penny farthing..A full size jet engine was also there .this was in the eirley ninthY's.

Back