• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Symbol on Ordnance Survey Maps

jmadone

master brummie
As part of his lockdown homework my grandson has been given a list of symbols found on an ordnance survey map to identify. All satisfactory except for one which is X (a red coloured X)
Despite looking at my OS maps and a search on Google I can't find this. Is there a knowledgeable forum member out there who can enlighten my grandson and me?
Jim

Can you post a photo of it. It may help if we can place it in contex of the map.
It's not on an actual map. It's a homework sheet with illustrations of O.S. map symbols. It is just as described, a plain red X with no reference to other map features.
Thanks for your interest.

What price the quality of teaching these days ? As a last result to the question of the red X another pupil contacted the teacher who set the homework to say it couldn't be found. Reply was that this was a point of reference for the teacher's notes only and doesn't appear on any O.S. maps.
I can only apologise to members for wasting their time and have to agree with my grandson that the teacher's an IDIOT.
Thanks to everyone for their efforts and so sorry for your fruitless research.
Jim

As part of his lockdown homework my grandson has been given a list of symbols found on an ordnance survey map to identify. All satisfactory except for one which is X (a red coloured X)
Despite looking at my OS maps and a search on Google I can't find this. Is there a knowledgeable forum member out there who can enlighten my grandson and me?
Jim
Is it possible that both you and your son have misinterpreted the information on the sheet?
Is it possible to see a copy of the question paper?

I think the red X was possibly abandoned for new maps when Series 6 One Inch was replaced by Series 7 1:50000 during the 1970s.

Checking the OS maps online the red X is still used for level crossings on the 1:250000 scale maps.

Back