• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sword of Stalingrad

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
I have just finished reading a book....BEHIND CLOSED DOOR. The story of the Stalin WW2 era.

In November 1943, Stalin met Churchill & Roosevelt in Tehran. During the meeting Churchill presented Stalin with the Sword of Stalingrad, in recognition of the Russians fight during the siege of Stalingrad. It was presented on behalf of King George VI, and the British people. Apparently Stalin was clearly "most moved, and kissed the sword".

I recall the event. It was an historic occasion, and also seem to recall reading, at the time, that the Sword was manufactured in Birmingham. After 71 years the memory dims, but I would appreciate any of our well informed friends on the BHF website offering more information on this historical event. Eddie

maypolebaz

master brummie
I have just finished reading a book....BEHIND CLOSED DOOR. The story of the Stalin WW2 era.

In November 1943, Stalin met Churchill & Roosevelt in Tehran. During the meeting Churchill presented Stalin with the Sword of Stalingrad, in recognition of the Russians fight during the siege of Stalingrad. It was presented on behalf of King George VI, and the British people. Apparently Stalin was clearly "most moved, and kissed the sword".

I recall the event. It was an historic occasion, and also seem to recall reading, at the time, that the Sword was manufactured in Birmingham. After 71 years the memory dims, but I would appreciate any of our well informed friends on the BHF website offering more information on this historical event. Eddie

I read the book recently, what an eye opener !

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Thanks Mike,

Just looked it up on the website you gave. True, it was made in Sheffield. My mistake. Thanks again, Eddie

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Yes, Baz, a REAL eye opener.

Shows an evil man, and that big time politicians really do not care too much about ordinary folk when it comes to making their own big decisions, Churchill and Roosevelt included. Eddie

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
I have just discovered why, after 71 years, I thought the Sword was made in Birmingham. We now know that it was not, BUT, it was displayed in Birmingham before the Stalin presentation in the Soviet Union. In the back of my mind, I remembered that Birmingham had some association with the Sword. That's cleared that one up!! Eddie

paul stacey

master brummie
just goes to show that history teaches us, we must at times swim with the devil, as it happened to us, Stalin was a lesser devil than Hitler, but both were very evil men, 19thcentry Napoleon, 20th century Hitler and Stalin, looks like the 21st is going to be Putin and the ISIS .