• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Swinglers

carolina

master brummie
After looking at the 1921 Census I found out that my grandad who was shown as a boatman worked for a company called Swinglers, does anyone have any information on them? Thanks

Here are the Swinglers listed in the 1921 Kellys.Only likely one in Birmingham looks like the coal merchant

Swinglers.1921 Kellys.jpg

Thanks Mike. My grandad must have carried their coal on their barges and Heath Street was Winson Green which was just around the corner from where the family lived.

1936 Dennis Swinger, East Street Canal Wharf, takes over from William Frederick Swinger who died in 1935?

(Later mentions it is given as Heath Street, and it should read Swingler)

Last edited:
1936 Dennis Swinger, East Street Canal Wharf, takes over from William Frederick Swinger who died in 1935?
Pedro, Swinger or Swingler? You could also find out on the census who they worked for who else worked for them and 2 names came up John Swingler Born 1864 and Frederick H Swingler Born 1903

I was impressed by what I found on the census. There were a few mistakes on the Taylor side with a wrong second name on my aunt and it showed her as working at John Rabones as a rub maker which I presume should be a rule maker.

After looking at the 1921 Census I found out that my grandad who was shown as a boatman worked for a company called Swinglers, does anyone have any information on them? Thank

My Great Grandfather John Godfrey (1881) was also a boatman and worked for W Swingler - Coal merchants, at Heath Street Wharf, according to the 1921 census this was still listed as his employer although it also says - out of work.

My Great Grandfather John Godfrey (1881) was also a boatman and worked for W Swingler - Coal merchants, at Heath Street Wharf, according to the 1921 census this was still listed as his employer although it also says - out of work.
Mine was actually shown as Boatman/Home duties. He did die in 1923 so I wonder whether he didnt work full time due to ill health or there was a downturn in work,

Hello Spargone
I registered on the link you gave. Do they not give access to the actual document? as I cannot seem to navigate this on the site

Jan
I expect that the physical documents are held in the Canal River Trust archive. You probably have to be an established researcher to be allowed access. A polite email to the trust archivist might persuade them to scan/transcribe the record for you or answer sensible questions.

(Its not unusual for archives to digitise their catalogues which is a lot less work than doing the same for the collection which they might consider to be still under copyright protection. We are fortunate that so many records are online, they don't get there by accident!).

I expect that the physical documents are held in the Canal River Trust archive. You probably have to be an established researcher to be allowed access. A polite email to the trust archivist might persuade them to scan/transcribe the record for you or answer sensible questions.

(Its not unusual for archives to digitise their catalogues which is a lot less work than doing the same for the collection which they might consider to be still under copyright protection. We are fortunate that so many records are online, they don't get there by accident!).
Thank you for your response Spargone I will try emailing them

Back