• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Swift Cheylesmore made in Birmingham. But where?

Very nice to see the responses above.

In Birmingham bicycle production was considerable for decades, and all the details are worth recording, I say.
We just need to understand it, and all these small 'snippets' help build a picture.

I'm very happy for any of my pictures to be used anywhere. Online or wherever.
If you want better definition pics of any of mine just PM me.

Turning out to be an excellent, if long lasting, thread it seems.
Happily?; )

John.

Hi, Thought I would just add to this site though it seems to be dormant.
For my 13th birthday, July 1951, I was given a bike and it was a Swift, bought by my parents through our local newsagent.
My Dad was like that, never did the normal like buy a bike from a bike shop.
The arrangement was that he and I would go to the factory, choose the machine and bring it home, under our own steam. As we had no car and my Dad didn't drive it was a case of Shankse's Pony!!
In my memory the factory would have been somewhere around the intersection of Vincent Street and Edward Road Balsall Heath as we walked from our home in Tillingham Street. This seems to differ with other given locations for the factory site but I'm pretty sure that's where we went
We went into the building and were greeted in a foyer which had one of those reception windows.
the bike was brought to us for inspection. It was a mid green with dropped handle bars, leather racing saddle and white metal mudguards and a Sturmy Archer gears, it was love at first sight.
I half rode it half pushed it home with Dad keeping up with me as best he could.
My parents were horrified that within a matter of weeks the mudguards were removed to shed a bit of weight and other refinements were made to try and make it a more suitable road machine.
My mentor Kenny Evans from Turner Street had introduced me to the world of real cycling and when I realised the bog standard Swift was never going to be a real bike I traded it in against something more suitable at Moseley Road Cycles.
This shop would become the centre of my world for the next couple of years where I would just hang out with other Wheelmen.
A few years later I was a Rep for a Gloucestershire based Finance Company and I was sent to a new dealer customer, Moseley Road Cycles where I was to be paid to hang out with the me old mate.

It's only dormant until somebody replies: )
Well done, Sir!!

I've got some photos of the actual factory premises somewhere & I'll post some pics when I find them.
This might work, but it only shows thumbnail....
Trying to upload images direct gives me error messages on this site: (

Possibly you could have gone to a retail outlet, rather than the actual factory.
Sorry about that: )
John.
16AKirkampMerrifieldbradfordst.jpg

Hi, Thought I would just add to this site though it seems to be dormant.
For my 13th birthday, July 1951, I was given a bike and it was a Swift, bought by my parents through our local newsagent.
My Dad was like that, never did the normal like buy a bike from a bike shop.
The arrangement was that he and I would go to the factory, choose the machine and bring it home, under our own steam. As we had no car and my Dad didn't drive it was a case of Shankse's Pony!!
In my memory the factory would have been somewhere around the intersection of Vincent Street and Edward Road Balsall Heath as we walked from our home in Tillingham Street. This seems to differ with other given locations for the factory site but I'm pretty sure that's where we went
We went into the building and were greeted in a foyer which had one of those reception windows.
the bike was brought to us for inspection. It was a mid green with dropped handle bars, leather racing saddle and white metal mudguards and a Sturmy Archer gears, it was love at first sight.
I half rode it half pushed it home with Dad keeping up with me as best he could.
My parents were horrified that within a matter of weeks the mudguards were removed to shed a bit of weight and other refinements were made to try and make it a more suitable road machine.
My mentor Kenny Evans from Turner Street had introduced me to the world of real cycling and when I realised the bog standard Swift was never going to be a real bike I traded it in against something more suitable at Moseley Road Cycles.
This shop would become the centre of my world for the next couple of years where I would just hang out with other Wheelmen.
A few years later I was a Rep for a Gloucestershire based Finance Company and I was sent to a new dealer customer, Moseley Road Cycles where I was to be paid to hang out with the me old mate.

Well I've learnt a lesson it's not until the Fat Lady has posted eh!
Well the place I went certainly wasn't in Bradford Street and whilst the old grey matter is ossifying I feel that I could do that walk to where I picked up the bike which is where I thought the address was somewhere about right.
I had a mate who had a grandmother who lived pretty near Cannon Hill Park and that is the way he and I would go pushing his little brother in his pusher. After a stop off at Granny's we would continue to the park where would spend a few hours and then go home via Moseley Village and Ladypool Rd.
It may not have actually been the Swift factory but a wholesaler, if it had been the factory you would have thought they would have shown potential customers around a bit. On the other hand maybe we were already locked into some sort of deal with our friendly newsagent. We must have been some sort of good customers as Dad always got a couple of packets of either Players or Senior Service from under the counter all through the war, together with some sort of sweets or chocolate for the rest of the family.
I know we shouldn't admit to being involved in a bit of blackmarket dealings but when all parties to the crime are dead and buried and the scene of the crime has been bulldozed for improvements? what's the harm?
Cheers from Oz

The picture is the one I posted on #11 on this thread
Sorry Mike if I didn't credit you. I just didn't check everything out before I answered.
I never meant to do anything Non/PC.

This is Birmingham History & I won't argue about originality; )
A good picture though, ain't it?
John.

Nice, personal story this one: )
That's what it's all about, innit?
Wartime shortages applied until the mid 50s if my memory is correct.

I wasn't complaining about credit for the picture a took back then, only pointing out the where it could be seen bigger than a thumbnail

@on your bike, it's nice to know that you are researching the history of the site, from what I remember when I worked there the ground floor to the right of the factory ( as you look from Bradford St) was all fronted with stable doors, in the one corner of the room there was a brick built forge but this was removed when we moved the packing dept from the other side of the factory. I can still remember the rings used to tether the horses still fastened to the walls. A story one of the managers told me is that it used to be a sort of wagon stop , the horse would be kept and looked after on the ground floor and the coach drivers used to rest on the top floor. As for a fire that happened there I clearly remember burnt roof timbers on the top floor.
It's a shame that the building wasn't saved as it was a building full of character, full of tiny rooms and cupboards that you could hide away in. The place was falling down tho when I worked there, I remember that in the goods lift we kept pieces of cardboard that we used to put over our heads as when the lift stopped with a jolt plaster used to fall through the mesh roof of the lift, I have plenty of stories like that lol.
as I said in a much earlier post it was the best place that o worked for, a family run business that was a really happy place to be, sadly things changed with the import of cheap stuff from the Far East . I left in 1988 to work for a rival cycle company, one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my working career.
I know I have some photos of the interior, not very good quality though, but would dig them out if you are interested.

Dear captblack please dig out your pics, I'm sure I wont be the only one that would like to see them.
Cheers Tim

Just a little snippet from the London Gazette:-

Swift Cycle Co was amongst one of the companies awarded the Diploma of Honour at the Milan International Exhibition 1906

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28030/pages/4086

Maurice
Good afternoon,

I have just purchased a Swift bike. It is royal blue, with 3 gear strumy archer gears. The only frame marking is Davies Components on the underside of the bottom bracket. Does anyone on the group know how to age the bike. I have photos, but they are to large to upload to the site. Looking through the thread and the chaps comments who started working there in 79, I think it would probably be safe to assume it would not be a Taiwan frame, as stamped with Davies Components. So Raleigh supplied maybe or earlier. The crank set is cottor pin fixed and has 5 arms, so not the older Pentagon or swift name type. I think possibly late 60's / 70's. I know these threads are old now, but any additional information would be appreciated.

Last edited:
BB,

I suggest you take your email address off of the public Forum to avoid being spammed. People can always message you initially via the private message system - envelope icon top right.

There's a few cyclists on here that may be able to help. And welcome to the Forum.

Maurice :cool:

This photo, I suspect is 1930's, is labelled "51 Moseley St" which would put it close to the river Rea so could be B12 or B5 dependant on which side of the river, John.

The firm is listed in the 1930s in Kellys between 38 & 61 Mosely St (no number listed. This was on the south side between Rea St South and Charles Henry St

Good evening. It seems like a long time since anyone posted any information about Swift Bicycles. I purchased A "Swift Cycle Co Birmingham England" in lock Down. The frame is Royal Blue and the Bottom Bracket is stamped on the underside with "DAVIS 64" & "COMPONENTS 61" Age is unknown, but if I had to guess, would suspect 50s - 60s I will attach some photos. It did have the original seat, but was so poor I binned it.
( I didn't realise the Potential rarity of the bile at the time) The historic catalogue picture could possibly be the bike model.

Attachments

• 20230719_203058.jpg
    20230719_203058.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230719_195140_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230719_195140_Chrome.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 9
Good evening. It seems like a long time since anyone posted any information about Swift Bicycles. I purchased A "Swift Cycle Co Birmingham England" in lock Down. The frame is Royal Blue and the Bottom Bracket is stamped on the underside with "DAVIS 64" & "COMPONENTS 61" Age is unknown, but if I had to guess, would suspect 50s - 60s I will attach some photos. It did have the original seat, but was so poor I binned it.
( I didn't realise the Potential rarity of the bile at the time) The historic catalogue picture could possibly be the bike model.
More photos

Back