• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Swift Cheylesmore made in Birmingham. But where?

It seems the file size was to large, although taken with the same camera phone etc as the first two uploaded. I've reduced to smallest size and will now try again.

Attachments

• 20230719_203139.jpg
    20230719_203139.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230719_203113.jpg
    20230719_203113.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 8
What is the history of Swift cycle?

The Coventry Sewing Machine Company was founded by James Starley in 1859. It started making bicycles in 1869 and changed the name to Coventry Machinists Company. In 1896 it became the Swift Cycle Company and started to make motorcycles in 1898, and experimenting with an early car in 1900.

Just found this old advert for Swift cycles on google search. It refers to Birmingham but does not state if Swifts were manufactured here or just an outlet for sales. Refers to 77 Colmore Row

1689868710415.png

It does state that works are in Coventry, which , to me, would mean that the others were just sale and/or distribution

It seems the file size was to large, although taken with the same camera phone etc as the first two uploaded. I've reduced to smallest size and will now try again.
For anybody that's interested, I've just checked the date on the Strumy Archer hub, and it's 81" 9" so September 1981. TBH I thought the bike might be older, at least 1960s. I suppose its possible that the wheels have been changed. Still 41 years old based on the hub date. If correct, this means the bikes were still being sold in 1981.

hello,
just looking through this site after a few months off, i worked at kirk & merifield from 1979 - 1988ish assembling cycles, we used to build swift cycles on the premises right up to when i left in 1988, mostly 3speed sturmey archer ''tourist' models. you could have had then in either royal blue or piller box red, working there was the best job i had, sadly even as i write this the factory is now being pulled down ( i went past there today) the pics from the above post really brought back some memories....thanks.
I think my bike . May be one that you could have put together. Its Royal Blue, black mud and chain guards, with gold line detail. Although not complete, there is a decal down the seat tube, that looks like it may have said swift in white. I've dated the speed Strumy Archer hub 81" 9" so September 1981.

Back