• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets

Better go quick then, as I've got the impression that B & M sell tail end stock from special runs and nearly out of date overstocked products which they get cheaply

Hit it on the nail Nico, Country pubs at night with the parents (we're talking aged 8 - 13 here, cos by 14 I was in pubs without their knowledge). Yep, a summers night, up extra late, grasshoppers doing their thing, clinking of glasses inside the pub, the whiff of fag smoke and beer on the air .... magical. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Viv I used to fetch a retired midwife two pints of mild in an old cider bottle when I was a kid , the pub was the Glassmakers in Granville St . The gaffer jack used to take the bottle from me in the outdoor and he used to give me a tuppeny bar of plain chocolate to suck on while I was waiting best chocolate I'd ever had , it was free . Then taking the bottle back, ease the stopper release a bit of foam and lick it before I got back to the womans house . Possibly a tanner for going what a way to earn a living .

Feel really left out Nico. I never got one of those sweet shops though I vaguely remember them. My Christmas sweets were usually the liquorice collection, containing a pipe, a stick with a flat bit on the end (not sure what that was) a Catherine wheel and I think a liquorice cigar or cigarette. Alternately it might have been a selection of chocolate tools. And once I had the cadbury chocolate dispenser/money box. Penny in the slot and a cute mini chocolate in return. Loved those. I had selection boxes later on, but I don't know when they first came on the market. Viv.
Now you're talking Viv I could eat liquorice till it came out of my earholes , a woman in her late 50's moved into the office at work we were chatting in the kitchen one day about nothing really important and I happened to drop it out I had a taste for liquorice . The following day she bought in a box of wheels and offered me one that was a regular thing once or twice a month , then she retired . I never did forgive her for that

Last edited:
I loved those eclairs Nico! They used to stick to the roof of your mouth. Might have been Parkes? Can't eat toffee anymore, serves me right for eating so many sweets then!
Selection boxes in those days had proper full sized bars not "fun-size".
rosie.
Rosie chocolate isn't fun any more even the standard size Mars and Wagon Wheels nowadays are fun size with this Shrinkology ideology, plus the fact it has nothing to do with our hands being bigger

Thanks Lyn. I think the toffee 'ammer' was a good selling point, like a free gift. Afraid I'm a gullible consumer, so was my mum. Good to see the Candy Store is still there, it was a pretty big shop for a local shop. The owners lived above it (Mr and Mrs Stanworth).

Nico, sweet eating can be so treacherous! I had a similar incident when eating a Trebor Sherbert while roller skating. Hit a raised pavement and felt like I was choking to death on the dusty sherbert.

At the shop my mum worked at they sold the usual penny sweets like Mojos, Black Jacks - 4 a penny I think - flying saucers etc. But they also sold a seashell with some fruity, hard gel in it which you licked all day. Another weird one, don't think they were around very long or was this a local thing? Anyone else remember them? Viv.
I remember the shell sweet they'd keep you going for a good couple of hours . Those 4 a penny sweets were always better if you got a tanners worth

Aah. but I note that you can get what look like , are presumably are, the same old Twix, but they are labelled Twix Xtra. Presumably this means extra cost !!: unamused:

They are made by Teddy Grey to a 'secret recipe' there's a strong flavour of aniseed, but there are also some herbal overtones that make the sweet stronger tasting. I'm guessing treacle, liquorice and a touch of menthol? They are hard candy boiled sweets. Stockley's in Southport make similar ones. Bit of a marmite sweet, if you are ever in Bewdley, try one. I can't promise you will like it though. Buy a coconut ice to take the taste away!
Stokkie I loved Victory V when I was a kid/teenager after being off them for about 20 yrs I bought a bag , Definitely not the same as the original lozenges , someone at work told me they had to change the recipe to be able to export to the EU . I don't know whether or not that's true , I didn't buy any more I know that

Stokkie I loved Victory V when I was a kid/teenager after being off them for about 20 yrs I bought a bag , Definitely not the same as the original lozenges , someone at work told me they had to change the recipe to be able to export to the EU . I don't know whether or not that's true , I didn't buy any more I know that
They used to contain chloroform, but this was banned, in the UK as well as EU

Loved those Rowntrees fruit pastille boxes. You'd see them mostly on sale at the cinema or at Christmas. Wasn't so keen on the pastilles themselves ('pastilles' a word that, I think, is largely out of use. French perhaps ?). But I loved the sugar coated jelly ones - were they the gums ?
It is used in France still, they are special too. Did we have berlingots in the uk. A refined boiled sweet, very fruity? As I tasted one & t brought back a memory. I liked the Weekend, jingle.

wagon wheels i have seen bigger pram wheels.:( i went to B&M yesterday and stocked up on boxes of them below while they have them i love the drumsticks
most sweets i buy off fleebay some sellers do good deals i am waiting for my 48 tubes of1702547839353.jpeg i stopped smoking now i spend me dosh on goodies :grinning:1702547479426.jpeg

They used to contain chloroform, but this was banned, in the UK as well as EU
Mike after reading this by you , I read up on Victory V when they first started another active ingredient as they were termed was cannabis . I suppose you couldnt have got a better lozenge at the time , something to make you happy and then something to make you sleep . Sweeteners and flavours were also added to taste

Back