• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember after the war over the bridge inDuddeston Mill there was a shop that sold 1d Vantas drinks.He put a quarter inch square of like raspberry thing in a bottle and added Soda Water it was lovely also don't know if anyone's said but the Twisted Candy sticks

Yes, indeed, Edifi, our local shop in Knowle Road, Sparkhill, did the same. I loved it, but it was not often I or my parents has a spare penny.

Maurice

The original Munchies, made by Mackintosh's were on I recall from the very late 50’s. They were little individual chocolate-coated cube with a caramel and biscuit centre. I think it is still on sale.

A couple of chocolate bars that did not stand the test of time were the Tiffin Bar, chocolate, raisin and biscuit. The ad had a quirky song “take a biscuit that’s no bigger than a button….”

There was also the Aztec bar, very short lived indeed.

The original Munchies, made by Mackintosh's were on I recall from the very late 50’s. They were little individual chocolate-coated cube with a caramel and biscuit centre. I think it is still on sale.

A couple of chocolate bars that did not stand the test of time were the Tiffin Bar, chocolate, raisin and biscuit. The ad had a quirky song “take a biscuit that’s no bigger than a button….”

There was also the Aztec bar, very short lived indeed.
I remember the munchies, but they also made that same cube with a soft white cream mint centre can not recall the name but I know for sure all those here with sweet tooth will inform us ha ha

Talking about Christmas, apart from the obvious selection boxes etc do you remember those crystallized orange and lemon fruits in the round cardboard box. They were laid out like a sunflower with a round bit in the middle. We always had one of those on the table next to the oval box of dates
Were these Mulberry Fruits Bob.
Also does anybody remember Cadburys Amazin Bars, Dark chocolate top,caramel and mixed fruits with I think nougat base.
Used to love them in the early to mid 70s. Short lived. Advert on TV said Amazin wot raisins can do.

Also does anybody remember Cadburys Amazin Bars, Dark chocolate top,caramel and mixed fruits with I think nougat base.
Used to love them in the early to mid 70s. Short lived. Advert on TV said Amazin wot raisins can do.
Hi
Our Christmas stocking consisted of; the crystallised orange and lemon’s too plus, the dates. I didn’t like either of them. However I did enjoy the rest of the contents. There would be; an apple, an orange, monkey nuts, a small round tin of toffees (with a picture on the lid of, kittens or puppies) and best of all, six pennies in the toe of the stocking. Our dad had polished the pennies at work so that they looked brand new! Our toys would be in a pillowcase at the bottom of the bed.
Beautiful memories of childhood days made possible by our wonderful parents.
God bless each one of them.....
Regards
Linda

Hi
Our Christmas stocking consisted of; the crystallised orange and lemon’s too plus, the dates. I didn’t like either of them. However I did enjoy the rest of the contents. There would be; an apple, an orange, monkey nuts, a small round tin of toffees (with a picture on the lid of, kittens or puppies) and best of all, six pennies in the toe of the stocking. Our dad had polished the pennies at work so that they looked brand new! Our toys would be in a pillowcase at the bottom of the bed.
Beautiful memories of childhood days made possible by our wonderful parents.
God bless each one of them.....
Regards
Linda

Hi Linda it sounds like a childhood memory of Christmas at our house. Always shiny coins hidden inside the stocking and a mandarin wrapped in coloured silver paper .
Our presents were also in a pillow case.
Happy memories of family together enjoying Christmas even though times may have been tough, we always had fun.
Wendy

Hi Linda it sounds like a childhood memory of Christmas at our house. Always shiny coins hidden inside the stocking and a mandarin wrapped in coloured silver paper .
Our presents were also in a pillow case.
Happy memories of family together enjoying Christmas even though times may have been tough, we always had fun.
Wendy
Hi Wendy
Indeed we did have fun and we’re still having fun reminiscing about those times!
Linda

Linda, same thing for me too. Presents in a pillowcase at the bottom of the bed.
Christmas Eve and I was so excited I couldn't wait to go to bed so Santa could bring me my presents. About the only day of the year Mum and Dad could get me to go to bed early! Trouble was I was so excited I couldn't sleep.
Apparently one year Mum and Dad thought I had gone to sleep, and dragged the pillowcase to the bottom of my bed, when I suddenly sat up and said " And what do you think your doing". I don't know how they got out of that one.
Tins of toffees like you say, Chocolate smoking set, pipes cigars, cigarettes etc, Chocolate money.

Bless them, happy days.
How I miss them.

Love those dates!

I remember in the late 60s having gob stoppers they were massive and thinking back must have been very dangerous for children for choking they changed colours and lasted for ages also the packs of golden tobacco brown shreds of coconut that really did look like tabacco but were delicious also giant jubilees that were so big you could not get them in your mouth and took ages for the ice to melt.chocolate tasted like chocolate then not like now it's too shiney and tasteless especially cadburys chocolate so put all the original ingredients back in and let us have our famous tasty chocolate back ha ha !

Those gob stoppers were lethal, almost choked on one once. My mom banned me from having anymore. They would change colour as they dissolved away in your mouth. The tamer version was the aniseed ball, much smaller and easier too.

There was a Caramac bar, not quite chocolate or toffee, very nice though

Last edited:
Those gob stoppers were lethal, almost choked on one once. My mom banned me from having anymore. They would change colour as they dissolved away in your mouth. The tamer version was the aniseed ball, much smaller and easier too.

There was a Caramac bar, not quite chocolate or toffee, very nice though

I loved the caramac chocolate :yum

I loved the caramac chocolate :yum
Caramac 1959
Caramac.jpg

Caramac is so called because it was made by Mackintosh's out of caramel; "Cara" and "Mac", geddit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back