• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pixy Stix, skinny tube with sherbet inside I also recall the same sherbet being in a big jar that was sold into a small cone paper bag that you dipped your finger into or a cheap lolliepop.

How about that cheap candy we would hang on a Christmas tree and have to wait for 12 days after Christmas to get a pick off the tree, mean while you have already picked a couple of the back of the tree hoping no one would notice. the gold coins, bell shape, Santa, etc.

• Appreciate
Reactions: ade
How about that cheap candy we would hang on a Christmas tree and have to wait for 12 days after Christmas to get a pick off the tree, mean while you have already picked a couple of the back of the tree hoping no one would notice. the gold coins, bell shape, Santa, etc.

yes and dont forget the sugar mice we hung on the tree :)

The Palm brand was made like a six-penny bar of chocolate(!) i.e. marked out in squares but there were also bars about an inch-wide. A lot of these sweets were un-branded as far as we were concerned, sometimes sold by the farthing and weighed out or counted from the anonymous jar at the back of the shop. (The same might be true of biscuits, often sold loose from glass-topped bins in front of the counter. Just low enough to catch the eye of the child!).
palm banana split toffee bars135684

Lyn, am I wrong in thinking that the banana streaked toffee was also available in relatively narrow, wrapped bars? I vaguely recall stretching out a softened bar, to twice its length, before scoffing it.
Were the narrow bars of toffee called Arrow bars, cost I think 1d and came in different flavours.
Seem to remember peeling the paper off was quite tricky as it stuck to the toffee.

Does anyone recall "Everlasting Bar". A quite elastic, stretchy toffee bar with a slight taste of coconut to it. Not as good toffee as Palm but at 3d it was half the price.

Were the narrow bars of toffee called Arrow bars, cost I think 1d and came in different flavours.
Seem to remember peeling the paper off was quite tricky as it stuck to the toffee.

Gosh, thats a blast fromt he past, the Arrow bar, were they 1d? One of a rage of small bars of toffee, occasionally impossible to get the wrapper off.

apart from lubly jubly,there is a shop in the town here that sells all them, sweeties.i dont were he get them from. but sure are expensive.

• Appreciate
Ade,

The clue is in the description "orange drink" - 50% juice and the rest water, sugar, & preservative. And why it is relatively cheap. 100% orange juice is a bit more expensive, but contains a lot more nutrients.

I see that Refreshers have changed shape and packaging too.

Maurice.

• Appreciate
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back