• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original Spangles pack that I remember was yellow. I'm not sure what flavour the black one was supposed to be. Did they not make an all-blackcurrant pack in dark blue? There was a black liquorice pack and a mint variety. Somehow the mint spangles seemed to be thinner and the Old English thicker. We liked the Old English but the original black one probably wasn't the best one to finish the pack with!
I remember them being square with a dimple in the middle, and if you sucked them that middle bit would go through first and of course the first thing you would do is poke the end of your tongue through and show your mate :)

i used to love "toffee pops" it was a big chewy toffee wrapped and used to cost 1 old penny. mmmmmmmmmmm

Hi Maurice re #280, are you thinking of "Refreshers"?! I love them, they are still on sale here and there's a soft jelly version now too! Rum and raisin fudge is still here too at "Teddy Gray's"! No wonder I haven't got many teeth and I need to diet.
rosie.

That's it, Rosie, Refreshers - I loved those. Found some rum & raisin fudge here in Crete a week ago, though not a patch on the stuff I remember in Brum. Thanks.

Maurice :)

Maurice
Was it made from milk fat or some substitute fat? In UK many of the fudges sold as being old-worlde seem to think that inferior (much cheaper) fats are just as good, and you only realise that is is not (to my mind) proper fudge when you read the (very) small print. The other thing is whether it was cows milk that was used to make the fudge. Others (goat,sheep, buffalo) will taste completely different. I once had the misfortune to taste cadburys milk chocolate made with buffalo milk and felt rather ill (never mind not tasting the same as proper chocolate)

I may have mentioned this on other threads but when I was growing up my Auntie Alice used to work for Filleries in Greet and whenever we visited her out would come the sweet tin filled with all the the mis-shapes that were sold in the employees shop. My absolute favourite was the toffee squares covered in chocolate and the best of all was that there was never just one of them. Because they were mis-shapes they were always joined together so you always had a minimum of two up to sometimes four or five. My Mom also worked there before she had me and my other Auntie Alice (on my Dad's side) worked at Cadburys. I'm absolutely amazed that I've got as many of my natural teeth as I have.:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum

i am going to treat myself as well john...just hope my teeth dont fall out they are not as strong as they used to be :D

lyn

Lyn, am I wrong in thinking that the banana streaked toffee was also available in relatively narrow, wrapped bars? I vaguely recall stretching out a softened bar, to twice its length, before scoffing it.

Mike,

I'm not sure of the contents as it was sold loose, as many sweets used to be years ago. The flavour was there, but the texture seemed wrong. It seemed like the very sugary stuff we used to get sometimes, not like real fudge at all. Still, I'm not really complaining and we can also get rum & raisin ice cream at one of the Italian style shops here during the summer - that's not bad. And the guy who owns the shop lives in our village, so I get a fair discount if he is about.

Maurice :cool:

Lyn, am I wrong in thinking that the banana streaked toffee was also available in relatively narrow, wrapped bars? I vaguely recall stretching out a softened bar, to twice its length, before scoffing it.
The Palm brand was made like a six-penny bar of chocolate(!) i.e. marked out in squares but there were also bars about an inch-wide. A lot of these sweets were un-branded as far as we were concerned, sometimes sold by the farthing and weighed out or counted from the anonymous jar at the back of the shop. (The same might be true of biscuits, often sold loose from glass-topped bins in front of the counter. Just low enough to catch the eye of the child!).

yes john that is exactly right....if the weather was hot they would stretch even further :D

Has anybody mentioned Love Hearts? I remember them in their tube pack. They were disc-shaped and with different messages written on the surface inside a heart outline. I enjoyed the sweet taste and enjoyed reading the messages too.

Regards, Ray T.

My favourite!

Regards, Ray T.
It's funny how your tastes change over time, I'd probably try one of those now and like them :D :D I remember last year I hadn't had the cereal frosties for year's and year's, I absolutely loved them, even without milk, so was really looking forward to them for my breakfast the following morning, what a disappointment, I just remember thinking how the hell did I eat these, it was like having a mouthful of sugar and sawdust :laughing: so it was back to the porridge

Has anybody mentioned Love Hearts? I remember them in their tube pack. They were disc-shaped and with different messages written on the surface inside a heart outline. I enjoyed the sweet taste and enjoyed reading the messages too.

Regards, Ray T.
Hi Ray, Yes my sisters and I loved Love Hearts as kids, my own children loved them and the grandkids have enjoyed them too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back