• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there were two types of toffee bars. I remember 1d bars as Elmdon Boy said (I thought they were Sharps but could have been Bluebird). I thought there was a strawberry one as well. They were about 3 to 4 inches long and had an end which was about half inch by quarter inch (maybe a bit smaller) - sorry that description is the maths teacher in me coming out! Then there was another brand which was very flat and had the flavour as a coloured bit sort of wrapped in the plain toffee. Were these the Arrow bars?

hi bob i think you are right about chemists selling the liquorice sticks but so did sweet shops....we always got ours from the "shop with 2 steps"in villa st.......well remember the colour changing "gobbies" and i also liked aniseed balls as well....happy days:) does anyone remember the packets of sweet tobacco....??

lyn

I remember sweet tobacco, looked like a pack of Old Holborn, silver foil with some printing around the outside.

Talking about liquorish, when I was a kid i used to buy small sticks about the size of a cig they were hard and would last for ages when you sucked them. Also in the 40s my parents used to put a tin of toffies in my stocking which i rally enjoyed, haven't seen them for years.

We used to buy Liquorice Imps. They were small hard squares of liquorice, about 3mm square.
Are they still available?

We used to buy Liquorice Imps. They were small hard squares of liquorice, about 3mm square.

crikey yes i remember those little imps but they were a tad too strong for me...sure i saw them in a shop a few years back

lyn

Weren't liquorice imps a laxative ? !

There was another stick for licking which was pale yellow with ridges. Absolutely no idea what this was called and don't think I ever tried it. But was it something like arrowroot ? Or am I imagining it ? Viv.

Thanks been trying to think what they were called. Here's another poser for you what were those scented little sweets pachoux or something like that. Also how about troach the aniseed flavoured sweets
Bob

There was another stick for licking which was pale yellow with ridges. Absolutely no idea what this was called and don't think I ever tried it. But was it something like arrowroot ? Or am I imagining it ? Viv.

I remember those Imps too, horrible little things.

Viv,
What you describe sounds like Coltsfoot Rock. I suspect it was liquorice related. For what it's worth, I liked it.

Bob,
I could've done with Troach drops this week. I've been barking like a dog all week and none of the modern remedies supply the required amounts of menthol that they did.

By the way,
Speaking of menthol, has anybody tried Vick, (Sorry Vick's), lately? Totally ineffective.

Re: post 189, yes they were a laxative, better than Syrup of Figs!!

Weren't those scented sweets Palma Violets Bob. Small rectangular sweets in a small packet. Violet in colour.
Thanks. The great thing about the forum is that there is always someone who knows the answer. Troach can be bought at the sweet shop at the black country museum, which leads to another thought in view of your bad throat who remembers Gees Linctus, favoured by gentlemen of the road mixed with meths or turps, now banned aand replaced by taste the same, but not as effective Corvonia.
Bob

Probably already mentioned, but sherbet dip was a favourite of mine in the 50s. This was a packet of sherbet powder and a hard candy lolly on a stick which was repeatedly dipped in the sherbet to transfer said powder to the gob. Delicious, but my teeth never forgave me!

Regards, Ray T

Probably already mentioned, but sherbet dip was a favourite of mine in the 50s. This was a packet of sherbet powder and a hard candy lolly on a stick which was repeatedly dipped in the sherbet to transfer said powder to the gob. Delicious, but my teeth never forgave me!

Regards, Ray T
I used to like the ones with a liquorice straw.

Thanks. The great thing about the forum is that there is always someone who knows the answer. Troach can be bought at the sweet shop at the black country museum, which leads to another thought in view of your bad throat who remembers Gees Linctus, favoured by gentlemen of the road mixed with meths or turps, now banned aand replaced by taste the same, but not as effective Corvonia.
Bob
I always found these very effective ... well they would be with one of the ingredients being 'Creosote'.
I still have this tin ... just one of the things to remind me of my 1950s ...:)
Famel.jpg

Morturn, they are "Swizzels" I still buy them!
Victory V. used to be good especially on cold mornings, they took an ingredient out though, haven't seen them for a long time.

i loved the victory V rosie....prob mentioned already but dont forget the love hearts which are still going strong

lyn

It wasn't only Victory V that had to change their recipe. A lot of the similar products had to do the same, such as Fisherman's Friend. They had to take Chloroform out of the product. None of them were as good after a before.

It wasn't only Victory V that had to change their recipe. A lot of the similar products had to do the same, such as Fisherman's Friend. They had to take Chloroform out of the product. None of them were as good after a before.

no wonder i was walking round in a daze after eating them mike:D

lyn

Chloroform!! Crikey.

I remember Famel cough syrup, which was horribly sweet. And speaking of coughs, can you still buy cough candy?

fry's.jpg
I used to like Fry's Chocolate Sandwich, but don't remember them looking quite like this. Last had one in the mid-70s which I bought on New Street Station.

More recently, Marks Spencer used to make one that had layers of plain, white and milk chocolate.

Sweets we used to like & still do. Cadburys Wispa bar & Dairy milk. I wish i had the willpower to resist, but until a doctor tells me to stop then i shall carry on. When i was aged 40, i had a muscular frame with a 28 inch waist. I had a bad accident at work, gave up smoking, & developed fibromyalgia, & the inches have been piling on since. As long as i can get out of bed in the morning then all is well. :-}

Fibromyalgia is a horrible thing to have, Smudger.

The left-over Easter eggs being sold for half price in Waitrose reminded me that Rackhams used to break up any left-over eggs and sell them as broken chocolate.

Chloroform!! Crikey.

I remember Famel cough syrup, which was horribly sweet. And speaking of coughs, can you still buy cough candy?
Yes you can still buy Cough Candy (also known now as aniseed twists), in fact I have some in my car which I bought in Aldi or Tesco or one of the supermarkets. It is in the packets which are hung up in rows in shops. Also you can see them in the cheap shops, either Home Bargains or Poundstretcher etc.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back