• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Rosie, what period are you referring to ?--the 40'--50's ? I hope that hasn't offended you. I grew up in those two decades of want and make-do, and my mom used to make toffee apples almost every week. Can you--or anyone, remember a chocolate chewy bar that rivalled the 'Mars Bar' ( same size and price) in the early 1950's--called ( I think) a 'Cress Bar'? It was a dark chocalate with Nugate and nuts inside. It's wrapper was dark blue and brown, with silver on it also. NO BODY I know has ever heard of it, and I contacted the museum of advertising and commercial products in London, and all they could suggest was a foreign product which was imported very breifly after the war. I'd love SOMEONE--to say -yes, I remember it. Otherwise, I'll have to accept that I dreamt it--(no I didn't--I ate too many of them)--Golightly

Half penny **** jacks? We used to collect empty beer bottles and take them to the Outdoor of the Yenton Pub then buy Fruit Salad or Jacks at 4 for 1d. Penny bars of Cadbury's chocolate. Spangles Acid Drops (makes my toes curl just thinking about them).

Can anyone recall collecting sweet wrappers ? Blimey I shudder to think of all those muddy wrappers we picked up from the gutters--remember, everyone smoked in the 40's / 50's when I was a collecter, AND many people thought nothing of coughing up plegm in the street back then---oh WHY do I torture myself like this---ha ha .-golightly.

Hi golightly,
I'm not offended!! It was in the 50's and as soon as I could reach the stove safely Mom taught me to cook!! She thought toffee etc. was a luxury as sugar was just off Ration.
(We did that thing people joke about...looking at the Telly through a coloured wrapper!!)
rosie.

Hi again Rosie---the one positive thing about being brought up in tough times--apart from not knowing any different is, when you DO have something 'special', you appreciated it very much--and therefore enjoyed it more. This applys to anything I suppose--the waiting and longing etc--golightly.

Troach drops (could cure all ills ) Japs ( I loved the coconut ones ) Someone mentioned Spangles, didn`t they get re-branded as Tunes?

No - Tunes are throat sweets. Spangles just got discontinued for some reason. I used to like the "Old English" ones - can only remember a flavour from them that my Mom called "troach".

I preferred toffees to fruit sweets but did like Foxes Glacier fruits - they lasted ages as they were too hard to crack.

Janice

hi pj ;
was they or not old english ones in a black and white packageing and the others was in a colured rapper
when i think back to my school days at upper thomas street the old little sweet shop across the rd from the school
they used to sell a round choclate potatoes of honeycombe for 2 old pennies and inside there would be a little ticket stating you are a winner
but they was all not winners thou but in them days there was no health and saftey rules
my favorite was the chocolate tobbaco but i could not stand the pinapple rock 6d a quarter i bought alot of the tea cakes coated with sugar
plus the sugar mice as i was born with a sweet tooth .still do actualy
we have got a couple of old fashioniond sweet shops that sell all the sweets of our childhood days; ypou name it they have got it
best wishes ASTONIAN ;;;

Mom used to make toffee with Golden Syrup, it was wonderful. Fudge was nice too.
Sugar Shriimps were "Four-a-penny". Nan hated me having sour cherry chewing-gum.
rosie.

I remember the spangles for one particular reason ,after crunching my way through three pits of spangles I was ill all night and ,nothing to do with the spangles, taken to hospital with appendicitis, and now whenever spangles are mentioned that always spring to mind,never touched a spangle since

I took cookery with four other boys and we bore the other boys' jibes. We made toffee and added a teaspoon on bicare. someone put a tablespoon in theirs and it covered the whole desk with cinder toffee

Hi everyone. Picking up on this topic about sweets. Can anyone remember a little plastic cone shaped cup on a stand which had a three different fondant type filling and a bubble gum at the bottom? It also had its own little spoon attached on the side? My wife and her sister have been going nuts for ages trying to find someone else that remembers it. They think it was called Knickerbocker Glory, or similar. they use to get theirs from the local paper shop on the corner of Ladypool Road and Beechfield Road and it was run by a lady named Pat and her sister. This would be sometime in the early 60's. They think they cost about 6p. Anyone help?? Thanks all.

The ones I remember didn't have bubble-gum although they were called Knickerbocker Glory, about 1958-9 so perhaps they changed as the years passed. I used to save those little cones for dolly tea parties!
The sweetshop also had fizzy lemonade powder so I made tiny drinks in them. No wonder I haven't many teeth left!
rosie.

I know they was not sweets but I used to love a packet of Nibbets. Uhmmmmm. Can you still get them? Mabz

Were Nibbets those crispy things, long strands of crunchy crispy potatoey strands in a red packet? Whatever they were called I loved em. Think I first had them in a pub garden in the early 1960s. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We're Nibbets those crispy things, long strands of crunchy crispy potatoey strands in a red packet? Whatever they were called I loved em. Think I first had them in a pub garden in the early 1960s. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yes viv thats them..it must be ove 20 years since ive seen them..

I remember Chipples. They looked like very thin chips in a small red and clear bag, Nan said I could have them or a Milky Way.

Frys? used to make a bar similar to Frys chocolate creme but it had a different fruit flavour in each segment. Then there were Texan bars - "a Texan takes time to chew" :) and sherbet pips, midget gems, flying saucers, pineapple rock, imps, chocolate limes, dib dabs, Old Jamaica (rum flavoured chocolate), acid drops. Milk Tray used to have a barrel shaped chocolate filled with lime syrup (yum), Refreshers, Polo Fruits, toasted teacakes, coconut mushrooms, bonfire toffee and cinder toffee. The excitement of receiving a pretty tin athe Christmas filled with Bluebirds toffee or dad having his slab of toffee complete with miniature hammer. How content we were with so little in those days.

I had some "Milk Tray" chocolates for Christmas but most of my favourites have gone! No lime barrel, no coffee creme!
There is salt in the caramel now, I was also given some chocolate with salt in, (not Cadbury's) it's horrible.
Thorntons put oats in the fudge. I suppose tastes change
rosie.

I had some "Milk Tray" chocolates for Christmas but most of my favourites have gone! No lime barrel, no coffee creme!
There is salt in the caramel now, I was also given some chocolate with salt in, (not Cadbury's) it's horrible.
Thorntons put oats in the fudge. I suppose tastes change
rosie.

Coffee creme is my favourite centre in any box!

Frys? used to make a bar similar to Frys chocolate creme but it had a different fruit flavour in each segment. Then there were Texan bars - "a Texan takes time to chew" :) and sherbet pips, midget gems, flying saucers, pineapple rock, imps, chocolate limes, dib dabs, Old Jamaica (rum flavoured chocolate), acid drops. Milk Tray used to have a barrel shaped chocolate filled with lime syrup (yum), Refreshers, Polo Fruits, toasted teacakes, coconut mushrooms, bonfire toffee and cinder toffee. The excitement of receiving a pretty tin athe Christmas filled with Bluebirds toffee or dad having his slab of toffee complete with miniature hammer. How content we were with so little in those days.

Fry's Five Centres, I think, which I used to like.
You can get get some of these old-fashioned sweets from places online. (I bought some white chocolate mice - they were horrible!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back