• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jake

looking for the sweets you used to buy look no further
click on this link, and savour the memories, and taste them again

www.aquarterof.co.uk

Does any-one remember locust beans, in fact they were beans but very sweet and large lumps of malt which was kept in sacks outside the shop.This shop was next to the railway bridge Station road Erdington. YUMMY

Used to go in there on the way to Erdington Baths and we walked from Perry Common in the Evening
Catkin wasn't a Fish & Chip shop there as well:)

Last edited by a moderator:
How about dolly mixtures - sugared almonds - humbugs - blue bird toffees

I remember locust beans but can't say I remember the malt pieces. We used to buy Troach from the old Erdington market. The locust beans were alright but not as tasty as some of the other treats. I liked Spangles. I remember Liquorice Wood which we used to chew to a pulp. Yellow kalai and yellow kalai sweets which made your tongue yellow. I liked sweet cigarettes which I can't imagine they would sell today even though they were made of sugar. Gob stoppers and aniseed balls come to mind. Barretts Sherbert Fountains with a liquorice straw were favourites as well. Spearmint chews I also liked along with liquorice wheels and licorice pipes, Pontefract cakes. There are so many sweets kids could buy. Still like Strawberry licorice which is very popular here in Canada.
We used to buy sweets from Littlewoods in the High Street, Erdington on Saturdays with our pocket money. As I loved licorice I would buy licorice cuttings...lemon drops with kalai inside. ..pineapple rock and pear drops.
Squirrel cherry lips and Rowntrees fruit gums. There are several shops where you can buy English sweets in and around Vancouver. Everton mints I often buy and Extra Strong Peppermints.

Mother used to send me to the sweet shop for Sharps Mint Toffees, Mint Imperials and Chocolate Eclairs quite often. She loved Cadbury's chocolate also and would buy the mishapes when she could find them.

What About The Half Penny Black Jacks [WHOOP,S ]
Are We Allowed To Say That Word ? .
And What About Pieapple Rock , Also Does Anybody Recall
The Tins Of Zubes In A Little Round TIN . Cost Sixpence
From WETTONS , Sweet Shop On Lichfield Road Aston .

Astonion, zubes are good for your tubes and yes the fish and chip shop was a little higher up the road, do you remember the bottles of coloured water from the shop on the corner opposite the school i think it was in Anchorage road 1d a bottle. liqourice root, had some not so long ago, the French come here once a year and bring lots of treats with them and liqourice is in large bunches but costly.

My mum and dad had the grocers shop on Park Lane. Every year dad would make toffee apples and trays of toffee, to sell. The kitchen would have a tantalising smell - I couldn't wait to help 'test' the small drops of liquid toffee that he would drop into a saucer of cold water, just to see if it would 'set' properly around the apple.They were lovely. Not the coloured soggy selection found in the supermarkets these days!

Dad used to bring us a bag of sweets every night on his way from work, from Meesons sweet shop round the corner from us. I can't remember what the sweets were called but they were in the shape of animals and coloured pale pinks, lemons and whites and tasted lovely.

My friend was the same she used to have all of the boys chasing her on a monday because she had a 50p mix up and me and all the other kid were lucky if we got a 10p mix up, I wasn't jealous at all (not). I remember liking azdec bars but then they stopped making them, I hope one day they start making them again.

Just thought of gob stoppers, do you remember they used to change colour and aniseed balls, that kept you quiet for a while

Oh thanks for that Jill. I don't think I ever knew the name of them anyway, I was too young, but it's nice to be able to put a name to them now.

do any of you girls remember our school knickers navy blue there was a pocket in them for our handkerchief, but i kept sweets in mine sometimes.
My father would take one of us children, each in turn to the Mayfaire picture house on a Sunday, he would buy a large bag of sweets and give you one at a time through the film, then he would watch you as you went home across the allotments with the rest of the sweets all counted out so that everyone had an equal share. Happy days

Last edited by a moderator:
Snap Catkin, the minute I read Bestie's post, the same memory came to me of those navy blue knickers with the pocket in, and the sweets we used to put in them. Makes you wonder whoever thought of designing knickers with pockets in..................

the sweets we used to have .

does anyone remember these.barley sugar twists , the old sherbet dips sherbet fountain,sweet tobacco . was strips of coconut in brown sugar in a grease proof packet .nugets of gold chewing gum in a little draw string sack.flying sourcers.rainbow coloured popcorn.to many to mention .in the 50s and 60s .and yes i also remember the aztec bar, between a milky way and a mars bar ,:Dbut better i thought.

Hi Harley: I remember the barley sugar twists. They were serious business since it was recommended by doctors, I presume, that students who were "sitting for the Grammar Schools" exams should have a good supply of them before they attempted the exams. Gave you a sugar high I imagine.:)
I remember many of the sweets you mention especially Flying Saucers which I loved. Coconut Ice was very sweet but I liked it. Gob stoppers were amazing and filled your whole mouth and finally after several hours you ended up with an aniseed ball. I don't think they have such things these days.

Harborne: I notice that your Dad used to buy your sweets at Meesons. That triggered a memory for me and I did a bit of searching since I remember that Meesons had a shop in Erdington High Street next to the Gas Showroom not far from Six Ways. It was the only shop that opened in the High Street on Sunday afternoons in the early l950's.

It was a very nice shop and after doing some research I found out that
Meesons was a large chain and had stores all over the place in Britain.
My brother and I often walked to Erdington from Stockland Green on Sunday afternoons on our way to Sunday School, to save our bus fare to buy sweets from Meesons. I am wondering if there were any other shops in Birmingham or surrounding areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back