• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was anyone familiar with "finger" sweets? I can remember cocoa & sugar, mix them together in a piece of paper, wet your finger and dip it in and suck on your finger, a great treat. Also, not sure how it's spelled but there was this yellow gritty powder that came in a paper bag, that you bought by the ounce. We called it K-Lie, you also wet your finger and dipped it in and sucked on your finger. It used to make your tongue sore and a very yellow finger.
Dave A

Viv, that blue one took me back - like a blast from the past. It was the one I always avoided! Don't like anything with liquorice and used to 'eat my way round it' when we had Bassetts Allsorts. Liked the coconut ones as they had more no-liquorice!!!

Liquorice toffees were often cylindrical - I wonder why? Treacle toffees and rum and butter were also among my favourites.

Kali was a form of sherbert but in a more granular form. So a Google search tells me! If you put kali in water you got a lemony drink but quite sharp.

Last edited:
Kali was a former of sherbert but in a more granular form. So a Google search tells me! If you put kali in water you got a lemony drink but quite sharp.
Yes that's correct..although we didn't use it as a drink. I recall that it took forever to dissolve in cold water and as you say, was very tart or sharp so you can just imagine how it was on the tongue when it wasn't diluted.
Dave A

Seem to remember a Bluebird Toffee factory near the junction of the Radleys and Belle Lane, next to the Bell Inn. When was it pulled down late 60's? It appears on 1955 map
upload_2018-4-11_18-1-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-11_17-58-59.png
    upload_2018-4-11_17-58-59.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 5
I too remember the toffee factory in Bells Lane and I do recall a sign on the outside of the factory advertising Bluebird toffee. Whether it was involved in distribution of Bluebird toffee or the manufacture of it I don't know, it would be interesting to find out.

I too remember the toffee factory in Bells Lane and I do recall a sign on the outside of the factory advertising Bluebird toffee. Whether it was involved in distribution of Bluebird toffee or the manufacture of it I don't know, it would be interesting to find out.
Thanks, you've restored my sanity, I recalled seeing the sign on the front of the building which is why I thought it belonged to Bluebird. That was in the days when Mom and Dad used to take me over to Chelmsley - along the Radleys, right into Bell Lane (factory opposite ) then up the hill along Holly lane and into Chelmsley lane. In those days Chelmsley was still a wood!

I remember it (often used to pass it on the way home) but not the Blue Bird sign.

Loved Toasted tea cakes. Did anyone have a brown licorice stick from the chemist [it was like a piece of wood] - you chewed it and then spat out the debre. UGH!! Miriam.
yes I remember those sticks we used to buy the from Hedges the chemist which was situated at five ways Aston in the 1950s

Loved Toasted tea cakes. Did anyone have a brown licorice stick from the chemist [it was like a piece of wood] - you chewed it and then spat out the debre. UGH!! Miriam.

I well remember as a boy chewing on those brown licorice sticks until they got all frayed at the end. Yes, they were just like wood. We called them Spanish licorice, if I recall right.

Regards, Ray T

think i have mentioned before that we used to make the licorice roots last all day...loved them back in the day...my brother got me a couple from and olde worlde sweet shop so i tried one just for old times sake...oh dear me i lasted for about 5 mins on it...how on earth i loved them as a kid i just dont know :rolleyes: think i still have the other one tucked away somewhere..by the way barry there is a photos on the forum of hedges chemist 5 ways ..try using the search box to find it if you cant let me know

lyn

Liquorice root is the woody, dried root of the liquorice plant. I bought a few sticks a year or two back. However, my tastes appear to have changed somewhat, since being a child! Seemingly, the sticks are good for your teeth, as a cleaning aid, just like a dog’s dental chew. They are also sugar free, although they do have a naturally sweet taste. As I recall, at the height of their popularity you couldn’t walk ten foot of pavement, near a school, without seeing a bit of chewed stick in the gutter!

Liquorice root is the woody, dried root of the liquorice plant. I bought a few sticks a year or two back. However, my tastes appear to have changed somewhat, since being a child! Seemingly, the sticks are good for your teeth, as a cleaning aid, just like a dog’s dental chew. They are also sugar free, although they do have a naturally sweet taste. As I recall, at the height of their popularity you couldn’t walk ten foot of pavement, near a school, without seeing a bit of chewed stick in the gutter!

thanks john i didnt know that...could explain why i have still got my own teeth :D

lyn

crikey so i had forgotten about banana split toffee...yellow and brown in colour if i remember...

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back