• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sweet Shop in Little Green Lane Aston

M

mand

Hi,
Really pleased i've come across this great site, some of the photos are brilliant.
I found out my GG grandfather, George Hinton, had a sweet shop in 1902 at 90 Little Green Lane, Aston.
Can anyone tel me where this was? photos would be even better.
He then had a shop on the corner of Jardine Road

Hello mand

welcome to the forum, Little Green Lane once part of Aston is now part of the Small Heath Area of Birmingham. the 1903 Edition of Kelly's puts your GG Grandfathers shop in that road on the north side of the street quite close to Fir Terrace.

I know that Little Green Lane still exists, but I am not sure what houses remain. I know there was still quite a few left in the 1990's. Perhaps someone else on the site can assist you with that.

pmc1947

Thats fantastic - no wonder I couldn't find it, i've been scouring maps of 'modern' Aston! Can you tell how long he was there? I've always thought they were on the Witton/Aston side of town.

Mand Jardine Road was off Witton Lane/Aston

Di who comes on later lived in that area and could tell you more, keep looking:)

Mand :) m8 Alf quite correct, Jardine Road is behind Aston Villa ground &
runs between Witton Road & Trinity Road which borders Aston Park.
Modern Birmingham A-Z reference is 6H page 83,

Little Green Lane still there, runs parralel with Green Lane & both meet
at Junction with Coventry Road, Small Heath, Behind the Blues ground,
Your people liked their football teams to be close :)
Modern Birmingham A-Z reference is 2C page 118

Best regards John Y :cool:

There are no longer any houses in Little Green Lane. Wimbushes Bakery used to be there, but even thats gone now.

Last edited:
mand

In the next Kelly's directory that I have the 1913 edition the listing for 90 Little Green Lane is Mrs Maria Jeffs Wardrobe Dealer.

The same edition lists 146 Witton Rd as Miss Harriet Hinton Confectioner. I would think that perhaps 146 could be on the corner of Jardine Rd.

Hope this helps.

pmc1947

Thanks for all your replies - can't believe the folks were so close to B'ham City Ground - thought we were Villa through and through!

Harriet Hinton certainly ties in - that was George's wife.

Thanks for maps and photo.

Mand:)

Re: George Hinton x9

Hi Mand :) 1912 Electoral Register has nine (9)George Hinton,s
May be of use to you if/when further researching,

Ward 1st ok. Harborne G H at Aubrey Road (no number given)
Northfield, G H at 80 Bristol Road,
Market Hall(City Centre) G H at Bulls Head (Pub?) Horsefair,
Lozells, G H at 53 Lodge Road,
Lozells, G H at 2 court 16 Potters Hil (half mile to Jardine?)
Yardley, G H at 104 Preston Road(half mile to Little Green Lane)
St Pauls, G H at 44 & 26 Regent Place, Villa Road
Soho G H at 44 Villa Road (These two,,Hockley side)
Balsall Heath, G H at 340 Moseley Road,

Justa keepa ya busya ,,;) John Y

Last edited:
Hi John,
really new to this (can you tell?) haven't looked at electrol rolls yet - only at the census. Do they just show the head of the household or all members able to vote? in 1901 GH was living with his brother William. Can you see the electoral rolls at the library?:rolleyes:
Mand

Hi Mand :) No probs being new on here, We all muck in & assist Ok,
Yes the Electoral Rolls are available at the B,ham Library & with a bit
of assistance from the Excellent staff (very knowledgeable) you will be
able to track down your George & William Hinton no problem.
In fact while we are all waiting for the 1911 Census its the best way to
track from 1901 up to present day.

ps If you are a B,ham resident & have Library ticket you can view some
available Electoral Rolls at any B,ham local Library on their Computers.
Again the staff are very helpful,, I use Acocks Green & they,re very good,
Solihull has not access (but i wangled a B,ham Library ticket, (no grass Ok ) Cheers John Y :cool:

ps2 If you,re not local B,ham you can still access some Elec Rolls at
www.midlandshistoricaldata.org pay-per-view but not expensive,
Tony Abrahams who runs the site is very hepful & the site is
user friendly so don,t be worried about giving it a go, John Y :)

Thanks again, Living by a football ground must have been a tradition - the otherside of the family (Perks/Holden) lived Bromford Lane, West Bromwich, which I believe is where the Baggies ground is.:)

Hi,
Devestated:cry:, not our Harriet Hinton!

Been to library today and checked the electrol register. Definately George and Harriet at Jardine Road, unlss they could have 2 votes an i don't think thats allowed - although i'm sure someone will tell me if i'm wrong.

But her, thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys;).

Mand

Green Lane, Taken in May 1972. It looks from the boarding up as though urban renewal was in progress. Banks' Fishing Tackle is open as usual here and up to the right is a familair advertising slogan from the past - "Mr Sheen Cleans And Shine. Len

hi mand.
Just looking at little green lane blog about your gtgt grandfather sweet shop.
i was born at 3/90 little green lane in 1944 i to was looking for photos cant seem to
find any of the houses there the only ones you can get are of the school and the libary
did anybody get you any photos.
kind regards keith.

There was a sweet shop facing Millward Street in the 50s/60s although whether it would have been the same premises is anybodys guess.

Somewhere on this forum I've seen a photograph of Millward Street facing Little Green Lane, with the shop visible, although I dont have any idea what the number would have been, you might be lucky.

Have you read this; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smells-C...0656108500?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2eb8093bd4

Gives a lot of insight into little green lane and the area around it.

hi fatfingers.
Thanks for your reply you are right about the sweet shop it was actually on the corner of millward st
that photo you saw i have got there was also another sweet shop along little green lane it was just before wyndcliffe rd
and the name i remember was olivers i think he was a italian man who owned it.
i left little green lane in 1960 did you live around that area.
keith.

hi fatfingers.
Thanks for your reply you are right about the sweet shop it was actually on the corner of millward st
that photo you saw i have got there was also another sweet shop along little green lane it was just before wyndcliffe rd
and the name i remember was olivers i think he was a italian man who owned it.
i left little green lane in 1960 did you live around that area.
keith.

Greenway St, kids used to wander back then. there was another next to the wool shop near the corner of Arsenak St as well.

If you lived in Little Green La, you'd find that book interesting. Autobiography of a girl who grew up living there in the 50s and early 60s. lot of mentions of local people and shops etc. I think later editions have photographs.

I only remember the shop on the corner of Milward St being a hardware shop.

Hi My parents ran a shop in Jardine Road between 1957-59 before moving us to our new house in Boldmere. It was basically the front room turned into a shop and we lived in the back room. I remember they sold pretty much everything, sweets. milk, eggs bread etc. Bit of an open all hours shop. Jean and Bert Brown was their names. My Mom ran the shop and my Dad was a travelling salesman for Mobil Oil at the time. We had previously lived with my Moms parents at 126 Upper Sutton Street, Jim and Lily Reynolds. My Grandad had been a maintenence fitter at Atkinsons Brewery at Aston Cross and my Nan was School Cook.

I was born in marston green hospital and brought up in little green lane for five years, my dad used to work for the garage in little green lane the owner was called Frank Nash we lived in a relatives house who lived into her hundred and something, i remember my grand mother and grand father lived round the corner we finally moved due to the factory buying the block of houses and knocking them down the front was left standing we finally moved to St Benadicts road

Back