• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Swanswell Rd/Gospel lane

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a medical centre on the corner of Swansell road/Gospel lane can you remember the name of the pub that ot replaced.Thanks ,Alberta

Can't have been many years ago John,my daughter in law is 37 and she remembers it but can't recall the name. Thanks.

Gospel Oak public in Gospel Lane, but no Swanswell Road. Could not find Swanswell Road in any Directory

You are obviously thinking of The Moonraker as suggested by Stitcher on the corner of Brook Lane / Gospel Lane. Not a pub I would have used especially just before it closed down. I never saw so great a collection of ladders on the roofs of vans parked outside.

Is that a medical centre that replaced it?. It looks more like apartments to me when driving past. I was surprised when it sprang up there has been no attempt to match it in with its surroundings. I think the medical centre is on the other corner.

Phil

Hello John, as you go down Gospel Lane towards olton there was a pub on the right about half a mile below the Gospel Oak. Since I lived in the area houses have been built at the rear and I think Swanswell Rd is just before Brook Lane.

Stitcher

Is that Swanswell Rd at the other end of those awful apartment buildings that replaced the Moonraker?. As you say there are a lot of new houses back there now, I never knew the name until now.

Phil

I used to have the occasional drink in the Moonraker about 50 years ago, it was a new and decent pub in those days. One of the 'Applejacks' lived there and his parents were the licensees.

As I had to pick the wife up from Hall Green today, and as I had already promised Astoness that I would make a detour past the Avenue to take a couple of pics the next time I was in the vicinity I also took a couple of this location as its only up the road.

Its quite right, The Swanswell medical centre is on the junction of Swanswell Rd and Gospel Lane and opposite is the site of the old Moonraker. What you might call hot off the press.

Phil

Attachments

• Acocks Green Site of Moonraker .jpg
    Acocks Green Site of Moonraker .jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 10
There was a pub called the moonraker, adjacent to the medical centre, but the moonraker was pulled down and there are flats there now
Regards Mike M

Back