• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Swanshurst Park

Swanshurst Park is celebrating its centenary. Apparently it opened as a park in 1923. To celebrate they have commisioned (not sure who "they" are but it may be the Friends of Swanshurst Park) a totem pole.
I first saw the log lying on the floor in the park a few months ago but as they have used logs to surround the park (in a bid to stop caravans getting on the park) I wasn't sure where it had come from.
The next time I went past it was clear someone was carving it. Then it was upright. So I did some searching.
All I could find was a facebook post from the Friends of Swanshurst Park (I don't use facebook but I was able to read a small section).

Some of you will have seen our Centenary Pole taking shape in the park. Tomorrow at 2pm (Friday 6th Oct) the Fire Service will be helping Graham - the artist creating the pole - to lift it into its permanent spot. Please do head down if you’re interested in seeing this important milestone in the creation of the latest park attraction.
Today I managed to get ome pictures. I tried to get the carving of Swanshurst but the sun was in my eyes and on one I lost the "S" and the othere I lost the "T". :D The road is on the left and the railings at the start of the lake can be seen on the right.
Swanshurst Totem 1.jpg

Last edited:
When I first saw it upright I wasn't sure if the bird on the top was one of the local residents or a carving.
Here is the answer

Attachments

• Swanshurst Totem  2.jpg
    Swanshurst Totem 2.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Swanshurst Totem  6.jpg
    Swanshurst Totem 6.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 4
Back