• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Swallow Raincoats

swallow.jpg

Lyn the interior was modernised many years ago nothing of the time remains, the wall I am on about is the exterior wall at the end of the building in well st, they are building offices above my garage so the external wall now becomes a interior wall or part thereof, what we asked him to do was not plaster board it but leave the brick showing with a plaque to say what it is I hope that explains it a little better if the chance arises I will take some photos but they are in the process of building floors, so it is a no go at the moment. edd

can I just say a big thank you to Mike for taking the time to send me the relevant article its much appreciated .cheers mucka

Lyn the interior was modernised many years ago nothing of the time remains, the wall I am on about is the exterior wall at the end of the building in well st, they are building offices above my garage so the external wall now becomes a interior wall or part thereof, what we asked him to do was not plaster board it but leave the brick showing with a plaque to say what it is I hope that explains it a little better if the chance arises I will take some photos but they are in the process of building floors, so it is a no go at the moment. edd

thanks edd i thought that maybe the case...is your garage next to what was the woodman pub then

lyn

Hi Lyn, yes my garage is between the woodman and swallow building, except I am now retired my son took over the reins, I still venture over for a natter to my old customers and people I dealt with for the last forty years, there are some really great people round there, and after forty years I can honestly say I do not regret one day.

Hi Lyn, yes my garage is between the woodman and swallow building, except I am now retired my son took over the reins, I still venture over for a natter to my old customers and people I dealt with for the last forty years, there are some really great people round there, and after forty years I can honestly say I do not regret one day.

hi edd you must forgive me as i think i asked you that question before but on a different thread..its coming back to me now lol...oh and it does no harm to pop down now and then for a natter especially as you have good memories of the area...

thanks edd

lyn

Charlie I started Swallow at 1962 in the sales office manually typing all the calling cards to the companies the reps would be calling on the following week. The main director worked from London (Mr Crouch and his secretary was Jean) he used to come up to Birmingham weekly (I think) and stay at the Grand Hotel on Colmore Row and I used to have to get a bus to there of an evening to take his post so he could read it before he came in the next morning. They used to bus girls in from Netherton to work in the machine rooms.

When we could play our own 6 records on the loud speakers of an afternoon, it was rush who could get to Sutcliffes on The Flat to get the latest record out - especially if it was a Beatles number.

I also remember helping out on the Swallow Penfold golf days.

The Personnel was Ms Lingard.

Great times....
I,m a bit late to this website having just discovered it in 2020! You may well have remembered my dad who was export manager for a time, George Fairhurst, before going back as a rep in Devon. I joined as a shy teenager in 1961, going through various departments and ending up as the designer's Pattern Cutter. I remember the juke box very well and recently found several of the hits we liked then. It was a great time to be in Brum as so much was happening then all around.

I,m a bit late to this website having just discovered it in 2020! You may well have remembered my dad who was export manager for a time, George Fairhurst, before going back as a rep in Devon. I joined as a shy teenager in 1961, going through various departments and ending up as the designer's Pattern Cutter. I remember the juke box very well and recently found several of the hits we liked then. It was a great time to be in Brum as so much was happening then all around.
You must have been there the same time as me. It sounds like you were more in the factory part?

I'm also late to the party. My Nan Joan who's now 88 years old once worked at the Swallow Raincoats. She used to sew the pockets on the raincoats and told me a story about how one of the raincoats ended up flying out of the window and landing on a bus that went into town. She used to love working there and going to the dance with friends from there.

You must have been there the same time as me. It sounds like you were more in the factory part?
Yes, my dad being the Export manager, the plan was for me to work in all departments and become 'managment'. I did study clothing related courses part time at Dudley and ended up working for the designer turning his initial patterns into multiple sizes. I liked the job but the pay was pretty bad but that's the rag trade for you! Like quite a few Brummies I ended up in Scotland where I have lived for over 40 years now!

I worked at Swallow Raincoats straight from school in the Purchase Accounts office from 1964 to 1968 under a lady called Mrs Davies. I remember Miss Porter who was in charge of the general office, Miss Tonk was in charge of the wages office who was also helped by another girl called Carole. and Miss Kinnard who was Personnel Manager. Mr Butler was the Managing Director and there were 2 other Directors that I remember Mr Parkes who's secretary was Miss Thorley and Mr Crouch who's secretary was Jean Brough. I loved the juke box area in the canteen it seemed so grown up to me as I was only 15 then.

I worked at Swallow Raincoats straight from school in the Purchase Accounts office from 1964 to 1968 under a lady called Mrs Davies. I remember Miss Porter who was in charge of the general office, Miss Tonk was in charge of the wages office who was also helped by another girl called Carole. and Miss Kinnard who was Personnel Manager. Mr Butler was the Managing Director and there were 2 other Directors that I remember Mr Parkes who's secretary was Miss Thorley and Mr Crouch who's secretary was Jean Brough. I loved the juke box area in the canteen it seemed so grown up to me as I was only 15 then.

I worked for Jean Brough and had to take Mr Crouch's post to the Grand Hotel in town for him to read when he arrived from London in readiness for his days at Birmingham Office. There was a Carol in the main office who was friend with a lady called Jean Markham. I left probably just before you started. Such good fun days. Miss Kinnard was one of the fastest typists I have ever seen

I am trying to find out the name of the people who may have owned the swallow coat company.
Does anyone know the names of any surviving relatives?
The reason being I purchased an item from an antique shop some years ago and the seller said that it was salvaged from their house following a fire. I do not know when this happened but a date of 1920 was mentioned
Thank you.
mickedrew

I am trying to find out the name of the people who may have owned the swallow coat company.
Does anyone know the names of any surviving relatives?
The reason being I purchased an item from an antique shop some years ago and the seller said that it was salvaged from their house following a fire. I do not know when this happened but a date of 1920 was mentioned
Thank you.
mickedrew
Hi mickedrew, welcome to BHF. To start you off, there is a thread here

I recently purchased a WWII Mackinaw coat made by Swallow Raincoats Ltd. It was made under contract for the US Army in 1944. I have attached a picture of the label.
Does anyone know anything about this contract and any others that were made at the Swallow factory during the war?

Attachments

• Mackinaw label.jpg
    Mackinaw label.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8
Back