• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Swallow Raincoats

I worked in the buying, costing, planning and stock control office, for Fred Butler. I can recall Ron Price(showroom) and Miss Porter who was in another office. Just been looking at "street view". Do you know if the building is now Crowngate Apartments?

JohnH I think the HR/personnel lady was Miss Lingard?? I was friendly with the Accounts girls and used to go to The Plaza on a Friday night. If you look at Thread No 6 on here you will see that it is in fact in Crowngate Apartments. I do remember that at Xmas we were given the choice of choosing a piece of material. At the back of the office where I sat, there was Penfold and Swallow and Penfold used to do a golf tournament every year.

Where did that advert come from? Have saved it to show my family. I see what you say in Thread 6. Am new to this "site" and getting OLD

Hi All would anyone know what year the swallow raincoats building on gt Hampton st was built, and if poss who was the first occupier, I have done the search button but cannot find this info. thanks

Hi edd
This topic was done on here quite area years back now on here I also done habit on here about it
So I am sure some one whom keeps there files would have it listed
I am not sure whether or not what came first at get Hampton street I can recall there premises and the whole building
And there displays of rain coats but also they had a smaller premise down on the corner of kings road and redding lane
Tyseley which there old building standing but they left there donkeys years ago
But I do believe it was more than a distributing depot for them way back in 1970 / 80 but its now some think different
Bit silly I should know it off by heart but my brain ain't working just yet as I have an office about 100 yards from that corner
But any way if you hang in there I am sure one of our guys whom was with us at that period will come up with all the answers
And may be a picture I myself did not keep any files on it but I will get my son to trace back on my system over the years
It was on and done on here as you may know that it was hacked a lot of stuff off here some time ago
But heavens above its slowly all recursurfing back one will never know
By the way edd how is Ronnie I think it s about time I gave him another visit he is well over due
Should you speak to him give him my regards okay best wishes edd ,,,, Alan,,,,, Astonian,,,,,,

Hi Alan. as you know this building is being changed and renovated in certain areas one being the offices connecting to the outer wall on one side, the developer has agreed to keep the original outer wall, which is now part of the interior of the offices in plain brick as a feature, what we are looking for is the original date of build and first user if possible, this info will be placed on a plaque hung on the wall for visitors and staff to see. hope that makes sense.
As to Ronnie saw him a fortnight past he's a little older but still the same humour and I did ask if he had contacted you but as his sister said he lives in the dark ages wont put credit in the phone she gave him. any info on swallow would be appreciated.,,Edd,,

hi edd thanks for the update on the swallow raincoats building..what a smashing idea to put up a plaque...all to often we lose the interior structure of our great buildings but at least the facade is kept intact as a testament the great working class industry we once had...will try and find find the info you want although our mikejee is very good at this sort of thing as well so maybe he can also help

lyn

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is this the place? Corner of Gt Hampton and Well St - Caroline gave location in the second link above. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 52
hi edd thanks for the update on the swallow raincoats building..what a smashing idea to put up a plaque...all to often we lose the interior structure of our great buildings but at least the facade is kept intact as a testament the great working class industry we once had...will try and find find the info you want although our mikejee is very good at this sort of thing as well so maybe he can also help

lyn

Swallow!'s was a bit further along Gt Hampton Street Lyn. You can see the Pelican building in this 1970s Keith Berry photo, with Swallows just in view far left. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 38
And another view looking down Gt Hamption St with Swallows in the distance. Was always fascinated by Gt Hampton St when travelling along it on the #29 /90 bus into Town. In the 60's and 70's it was quite dark and all the buildings were covered in grime. Now it seems to be having a facelift and the true beauty of many of these buildings is again being uncovered. So many buildings have lots if details - and lots of decorative tiles and brickwork. And so MANY of those buildings have survived. Lovely to see. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It looks as though it started around 1947. Addition: just found out that they made soldiers uniforms during the war, so obviously before 1947.

This is at Southend on Sea.
Swallow Southend on Sea.JPG

Swallow trade mark.JPG

Last edited:
Is this the place? Corner of Gt Hampton and Well St - Caroline gave location in the second link above. Viv.

yes thats it viv...you can just see the what was the woodman pub sticking out on the corner of well st and barr st

Back