• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Street, Aston

brummy-lad

master brummie
I couldn't find a thread specifically for Sutton Street, Aston. So pleased to see that they only used 'healthy' leeches.

Attachments

• leeches.jpg
    leeches.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
By 1967 the area was in a poor state and was being redeveloped But some residents were still waiting rehousing The Reverend in this photo brought the plight of the residents waiting to be rehoused to the attention of the BHam Post Newspaper. Viv.

5F3D66D9-504E-4A08-A5DA-B9077244B90A.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Great photos Brummy Lad, I especially liked those off the Retreat, you wouldn't guess they were in Aston. Two memories I have of the Retreat were going with my older sister during the war to collect/issue Savings Stamps for the war effort.
The second is of going to the house next to the little garage on Sunday mornings for mint if we were having lamb for dinner, and also rhubarb when in season.

My desire to learn more about 'The Manor House' has ended in a brick wall. I am now of the opinion that The Manor House was probably treated very much like Guildford House and was probably converted into 3 properties.
I obtained a map dated 1888 which gave house numbers (these were almost undecipherable) unfortunately the limit of the map was the back garden of The Manor House. The next map in the series did not give house numbers.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A 19c MAP OF SUTTON STREET WITH HOUSE NUMBERS? please let me know I would be very grateful (I have a 1950s map but this does not help).

OK so this is where I have got to:
Around 1890 part of The Manor House Garden was used for construction of 6 houses and consequently all the houses further up the street were renumbered. Later another 6 (or 7) houses were built on the site of The Manor House and again the houses were renumbered. I know Nos. 28 to 42 remained unchanged.
No. 42 1881 Philip Webb (maltster), probably owned or in charge of the malthouse alongside The Manor House.
No. 44 had the same tenant from 1871-1891 John Albutt (butcher) @ Park Crescent (Sutton St.) in1871, No.44 in 1881, No. 44 (Stanley House) in 1891.
Nos. 44, 46 & 48 all remained unchanged despite the fact that these would have been on the other side of The Manor House.
On the 1891 Census, Nos. 46 and 48 appear twice with different occupants and No. 44 is unoccupied.
I think they were duplicated because the new houses had been assigned the same numbers.
For this reason I believe that these are the 3 properties derived from The Manor House.
ARE THERE ANY MAPS OLDER THAN 1889 SHOWING THE ELUSIVE MANOR HOUSE?
Any help or advice appreciated.

Attachments

• sutton-st-1889&1950.jpg
    sutton-st-1889&1950.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
This map of Aston Manor dated 1834 clearly shows Sutton Street and The Retreat, the upper part of Sutton Street and The Retreat are shown on the "round hill" I imagine this is where the name originated.

Use of 1834 map is acknowledged in this statement.

"This work is based on data provided through www.VisionofBritain.org.uk and uses historical material which is copyright of the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth".

Attachments

• roundhill1834.jpg
    roundhill1834.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 11
yes ive also had no luck with the manor house john but like ive said when i can get to the library i will see what i can find out

lyn

yes ive also had no luck with the manor house john but like ive said when i can get to the library i will see what i can find out

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I think I've sussed the numbering of the houses now, the Manor House was No. 44, it wasn't split into 3 houses.
From c. 1871 to c. 1891 it was occupied by John Albutt (butcher).
The reason that Nos. 44, 46 & 48 remained unchanged for those years was because the first 6 (or 7) new houses that were built were not next to No. 42 consequently Nos. 44-48 didn't have to be renumbered until all 13 new houses had been built.
It's hard to believe that it would have been such a grand house as is shown on the 1889 map. Difficult to understand why the beautiful gardens would have been given up for housing although perhaps the Manor House was ready for demolition by then.

Attachments

• sutton-st-1889&1950.jpg
    sutton-st-1889&1950.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 10
I think the manor house was were the doctors surgery was located, Sorry I got it wrong, was looking at the old rectory...

Last edited:
Good evening, I lived in a back to back house off Sutton Street, Aston in a place called (i think) Stratford avenue????? Around 1955. Does anyone remember this or have any photos please? Apologies if ive posted in the wrong place

Back