• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Road Erdington: large houses and their residents

A short description of the house when it was advertised to let in November 1914. By April 1915=it was a temporary hospital. Viv.

Source: British Newspaper Archive
Quite possibly the Norlands at 78 Sutton Road, was the largest of all the houses built on that part of Sutton Road !
I wonder who the first occupants where before it was let and later
used a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital in WW1 as described in a very interesting post from Vivienne14 recently.
I only have records from 1939 and 1953 ,it was then ran as the Lyndhurst Guest House until the property was demolished a few years later.Any missing links would be appreciated.

Attachments

• BF03D6F5-3E03-491C-A365-0B34F15A2FA9.jpeg
    BF03D6F5-3E03-491C-A365-0B34F15A2FA9.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
This archive post is interesting , number 40 Sutton Road is now part of the Abbey Catholic School but in 1958 was named Normanhurst, possibly re-named after number 96 , also called Normanhurst,after it was demolished.
Normanhurst is listed as a nursing home on Sutton Road in the 1950 phone book. No house number is given. I am just wondering if the building opened in 1958 (post #84) was replacing an existing home and that is why it was given the same name.
1617800692622.png

Last edited:
Quite possibly the Norlands at 78 Sutton Road, was the largest of all the houses built on that part of Sutton Road !
I wonder who the first occupants where before it was let and later
used a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital in WW1 as described in a very interesting post from Vivienne14 recently.
I only have records from 1939 and 1953 ,it was then ran as the Lyndhurst Guest House until the property was demolished a few years later.Any missing links would be appreciated.
A house called Norlands appears on the 1889 map.
1617800753336.png

That early I don't think Erdington is part of Birmingham which makes tracking harder.

In my findings for 1953 Normanhurst was number 96 on Sutton Road and was then home to 20 women ,(nurses? / nursing home ?) the dates that they demolished number 96 and opened a 'new' Normanhurst in 1958 match.
I certainly agree the name 'Normanhurst' has been a popular name used and re-used for care homes in Erdington.

Last edited:
I did a bit of searching on Norlands House this afternoon. This is what I’ve found so far. I shall expand this list when I have more to add.

NOTES ABOUT “NORLANDS” HOUSE AND RESIDENTS

22/6/1870 Edmund Boughton of Norlands appointed magistrate for the County of Warwickshire (Worcestershire Chronicle)

31/1/1874 Augustus Frederick Godson offered himself as the candidate for the borough of Warwick (Warwickshire Advertiser) Gives address as Norlands but says he’s not a resident of the Borough.

6/5/1876 Edmund Boughton J.P of Norlands Erdington, eldest daughter Annie Robinson married at Erdington Parish Church. (Royal Leamington Spa Courier)

12/12/1878 notice about Norlands household effects for auction (Birmingham Daily Post)

9/8/1907 businesses failed of George Tucker, Norlands Erdington, trading as George Tucker & Co, John Wood & Co and W. Eldridge & Co, sealing wax and pen manufactures (Birmingham Gazette)

1/1/1909 A.T.Emery of Norlands selling a stud greyhound (The Sportsman)

25/3/1914 a sale of oil and watercolour paintings of the late Mrs S M Emery deceased from Norlands House included works by Paul Braddon, Arthur Wardle, C Hunt, Noble, Bannatyne and many more (Birmingham Gazette)

7/10/1914 the late Mr Alfred Thomas Emery, metal merchant, left an estate gross value £10,869 ( Birmingham Gazette)

27/12/1915 referred to as The Norlands Hospital with 38 patients (Birmingham Daily Mail)

15/11/1919 Norlands, Sutton Road advertised for sale (with vacant possession) as a desirable residence with pleasure and kitchen gardens, paddock and turfs in 8 acres (Birmingham Gazette)

20/1/1920 a second class Cross of the British Red Cross was awarded to Nurse E A Potter of Norlands Hospital Erdington (Birmingham Daily Gazette)

10/2/1923 Mrs Cooke at Norlands gave birth to a daughter here (Mr & Mrs W H Cooke of Drayton House) (Tamworth Herald)

7/4/1923 a son born at Norlands Nursing Home, Erdington to Mr and Mrs A J Richards of Arbury, Richmond Road, Sutton Coldfield

26/2/1927 advertising as the Norland Maternity and Nursing Home (Warwickshire Advertiser)

To add a bit of detail and insight into the house here are a few clippings: two from 1878 when all the effects were being auctioned and one from 1927 when it was a Maternity Home.

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Viv.

1A02D158-B8FC-4F3D-8977-33C02B9D7051.jpeg0F67BE3D-463B-4853-94F3-3C756A2CAE32.jpeg

FB1553B0-B6D5-47A8-B99D-509ED0428666.jpeg

Last edited:
I was browsing the 1881 census and noticed that Eleanor Stanley was living at Stanley House which seems to be next door but one to Wilmot House. The property in the middle is home to a gardener and his family so may have been part of one of the properties. I wondered if there was a connection to the Walter Stanley Trust?

The second thing I noticed was that Wilmot House was being used as a boys school. There appear to be a high ratio of masters to boys but this may have been because some of the boys were day pupils and wouldn't have been staying overnight.

A house called Norlands appears on the 1889 map.
View attachment 155611

That early I don't think Erdington is part of Birmingham which makes tracking harder.
I did a bit of searching on Norlands House this afternoon. This is what I’ve found so far. I shall expand this list when I have more to add.

22/6/1870 Edmund Boughton of Norlands appointed magistrate for the County of Warwickshire (Worcestershire Chronicle)
31/1/1874 Augustus Frederick Godson offered himself as the candidate for the borough of Warwick (Warwickshire Advertiser) Gives address as Norlands but says he’s not a resident of the Borough.

6/5/1876 Edmund Boughton J.P of Norlands Erdington, eldest daughter Annie Robinson married at Erdington Parish Church. (Royal Leamington Spa Courier)

12/12/1878 notice about Norlands household effects for auction (Birmingham Daily Post)

9/8/1907 businesses failed of George Tucker, Norlands Erdington, trading as George Tucker & Co, John Wood & Co and W. Eldridge & Co, sealing wax and pen manufactures (Birmingham Gazette)

25/3/1914 a sale of oil and watercolour paintings of the late Mrs S M Emery deceased from Norlands House included works by Paul Braddon, Arthur Wardle, C Hunt, Noble, Bannatyne and many more (Birmingham Gazette)

7/10/1914 the late Mr Alfred Thomas Emery, metal merchant, left an estate gross value £10,869 ( Birmingham Gazette)

27/12/1915 referred to as The Norlands Hospital with 38 patients (Birmingham Daily Mail)

15/11/1919 Norlands, Sutton Road advertised for sale (with vacant possession) as a desirable residence with pleasure and kitchen gardens, paddock and turfs in 8 acres (Birmingham Gazette)

20/1/1920 a second class Cross of the British Red Cross was awarded to Nurse E A Potter of Norlands Hospital Erdington (Birmingham Daily Gazette)

10/2/1923 Mrs Cooke at Norlands gave birth to a daughter here (Mr & Mrs W H Cooke of Drayton House) (Tamworth Herald)

7/4/1923 a son born at Norlands Nursing Home, Erdington to Mr and Mrs A J Richards of Arbury, Richmond Road, Sutton Coldfield

26/2/1927 advertising as the Norland Maternity and Nursing Home (Warwickshire Advertiser)

To add a bit of detail and insight into the house here are a few clippings: two from 1878 when all the effects were being auctioned and one from 1927 when it was a Maternity Home. Source: British Newspaper Archive

Viv.

View attachment 155629View attachment 155628

View attachment 155627

What a well documented thread .

It gives a clear idea of the history of The Norlands and it's residents.

That was quite an impressive auction in 1878. Everything from the family silver to ducks and pigs and also a revolver!

And in 1914 the late Alfred Thomas Emery left an estate gross value of more than 1 million in pounds in todays money,
also very impressive

This continues the history of Norlands house and it’s residents in post #94. Some time after the 1920s (exact date yet unknown) Norlands was referred to as either 78 Sutton Road or Lyndhurst

NOTES ABOUT LYNDHURST, 78 SUTTON ROAD (formerly known as “NORLANDS”)

23/10/1937 advertisement for Board-Residence or Bedsitting room for one or two and garage Lyndhurst 78 Sutton Road

13/6/1940 notice of John Alfred Brasford killed in action - notice placed by Mother, Dad and Evelyn, 78 Sutton Road Erdington (Birmingham Mail)

19/8/1944 Notice of Dennis Keating killed in action - notice placed by Dad, Mother and Tom, 78 Sutton Road Erdington (Birmingham Mail)

21/1/1949 advert for sale of Alsatian Puppies to apply to Lyndhurst 78 Sutton Road (Lichfield Mercury)

24/6/1949 advert of vacancy for woman to do cooking and be general help at boarding house, - other maids kept, live in - at 78 Sutton Road Erdington( (The Mercury)

This post will be added to as further information is uncovered. Viv.

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps or not but 1932 Kelly's has this entry on Sutton Road
1617869985167.png

By 1936 entry is
1617870129633.png
I don't have access to any 1920s directories but Viv's post seems to document that time pretty well.

Miss Wint is listed at Lyndhurst School in 1930 phone book but not the 1929. I couldn't find Norlands in the phone book

Last edited:
This continues the history of Norlands house and it’s residents in post #94. Some time after the 1920s (exact date yet unknown) Norlands was referred to as either 78 Sutton Road or Lyndhurst

NOTES ABOUT LYNDHURST, 78 SUTTON ROAD (formerly known as “NORLANDS”)

13/6/1940 notice of John Alfred Brasford killed in action - notice placed by Mother, Dad and Evelyn, 78 Sutton Road Erdington (Birmingham Mail)

19/8/1944 Notice of Dennis Keating killed in action - notice placed by Dad, Mother and Tom, 78 Sutton Road Erdington (Birmingham Mail)

21/1/1949 advert for sale of Alsatian Puppies to apply to Lyndhurst 78 Sutton Road (Lichfield Mercury)

24/6/1949 advert of vacancy for woman to do cooking and be general help at boarding house, - other maids kept, live in - at 78 Sutton Road Erdington( (The Mercury)

This post will be added to as further information is unco
Not sure if this helps or not but 1932 Kelly's has this entry on Sutton Road
View attachment 155647

By 1936 entry is
View attachment 155648
I don't have access to any 1920s directories but Viv's post seems to document that time pretty well.

Miss Wint is listed at Lyndhurst School in 1930 phone book but not the 1929. I couldn't find Norlands in the phone book
Another great find, Thank You,

In the 1939 directory Mr/Mrs Dorcinec ( nee Barrasford) were listed as the proprietors and stayed on until the demolition,
This along with Viv's post gives quite a clear idea of Who' who in The Norlands.

To add a bit of detail and insight into the house here are a few clippings: two from 1878 when all the effects were being auctioned and one from 1927 when it was a Maternity Home. Source: British Newspaper Archive

Viv.

View attachment 155629View attachment 155628

View attachment 155627
WOW! That's some info there. Thanks.

I think George Tucker listed at Norlands in 1907 (post #95) might have been the George Tucker of Tucker Eyelets too. I also think he might have been a representative on the Sutton Ward TownTown Council.

Could someone do a Census check please ? Probably George L Tucker, living at Norlands in the 1880s until 1907. Thanks.

Viv.

1903 & 4 directories have him at The Norlands.
1900 directory has Samuel Downing at The Norlands. Just found him there in 1890 directory as well.
Checking 1901 census now.
I see why I couldn't find it - The Norlands is empty. Name is written with a blank line
1617894506467.png

Without more info about George Tucker (like wife or dob etc) it is hard to identify which is the right one to find where he was.

Last edited:
Perhaps the Tucker business failure reported in 1907 quoted his old address or maybe he rented the property out.

Looked again at the business failure details of 1907 and Tuckers representative claims he was connected with Tucker Eyelets in name only.

Viv.

Viv - I am confused. When did you think he lived at The Norlands? According to what I can find out he was there from 1903 onwards. It may be that he moved in after the 1901 census when the house was empty. Prior to that the house was occupied by Samuel Downing.

I’d picked up on another Tucker living in Sutton Road - Sutton Ward - in the 1880s but I think it must have been a different Tucker and probably a different area. In any case your info now shows it wasn’t Tucker of Norlands, Erdington around that date. Thanks Janice. Viv.

Am not sure if these are some that were lost, but they seem to fit the bill (I hope)

Sutton_Road_before_the_Lyndhurst_estate2C_Erdington.jpg

Beechmount_hotel.jpg

Beechmount_hotel_rear.jpg

98_Sutton_Road2CThe_Beechmount_Private_Hotel_1955.jpg

66252520SUTTON252520ROAD25_melrose_house.jpg
Hi, yes these are of number 98 Sutton Rd, Beechmount Hotel, you possibly seen me as Wendolene on early threads..

Hi Wendolene here from earlier threads in 2008, you may recall l am the Grandaughter of the Edwards. At Beechmount Hotel number 98.
Sadly my Mum Marjorie passed away in 2016, have been going through lots of photos, mainly family ones with Beechmount in and have actually found the Visitor book for the hotel.

Hi, yes these are of number 98 Sutton Rd, Beechmount Hotel, you possibly seen me as Wendolene on early threads..
Hi Mutley. Are you saying you have two BHF memberships ? If so, we shall need to cancel one of them as only one membership is allowed per person. Viv.

Hi Mutley. Are you saying you have two BHF memberships ? If so, we shall need to cancel one of them as only one membership is allowed per person. Viv.
Hi Viv
For some reason l couldnt get onto my old Wendolene email.. think it may well have been defunct! Sorry hadnt intended to have 2. Didnt think l had re registered as new member. Wendy

Hi Mutley. Please can you message Postie and Warren asking for one of the memberships to be deleted ? Thanks. I leave it with you which one to delete but the last time you used wendolene was in 2011. Wendolene is as far as I can see still an active account. Shall delete these last 3 posts when done. Viv.

Just click on the little envelope next to your user name on the blue bar above. Then “start a conversation”. Type in the names postie and Warren and type your message. Viv.

Mutley. Be great to see any photos etc of Beechmont Hotel if you’re happy to share. Members are always interested to see older photos and it all adds to our understanding of local history. Viv.

I was browsing the 1881 census and noticed that Eleanor Stanley was living at Stanley House which seems to be next door but one to Wilmot House. The property in the middle is home to a gardener and his family so may have been part of one of the properties. I wondered if there was a connection to the Walter Stanley Trust?

The second thing I noticed was that Wilmot House was being used as a boys school. There appear to be a high ratio of masters to boys but this may have been because some of the boys were day pupils and wouldn't have been staying overnight.
I'm presently researching my G Grandfathers siblings. His youngest brother, Thomas Edward Johnson lived and had a garage at 44 Sutton Rd (Wilmot House ) from the 20's to the 50's before moving the business to Tyburn Rd and his residence to Reddicap Hill, Sutton Coldfield.

@Typo's lovely picture of Wilmot House (thanks) shows the house itself but I'm wondering where the garage is?
I know they sold fuel etc.

Can I guess the Wilmot House pic is WW2 era with the crossed tape on the windows?

I'm presently researching my G Grandfathers siblings. His youngest brother, Thomas Edward Johnson lived and had a garage at 44 Sutton Rd (Wilmot House ) from the 20's to the 50's before moving the business to Tyburn Rd and his residence to Reddicap Hill, Sutton Coldfield.

@Typo's lovely picture of Wilmot House (thanks) shows the house itself but I'm wondering where the garage is?
I know they sold fuel etc.

Can I guess the Wilmot House pic is WW2 era with the crossed tape on the windows?

Looking at the photograph of Wilmot House on the far right hand side of the building there appears to be some kind of awning and parked vehicules this could have been the Garage forecourt with entry from Sutton Road

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Viv, there's quite a lot of information about the large houses on Sutton Road on various threads, if I remember correctly. I remember someone was researching the Moore's (HP Sauce) who lived in one and Edward Ansell (the brewer who later moved to and rebuilt Moor Hall). I'm afraid I get a bit confused over which thread is which but recently I saw a photo of one of the houses which was occupied by J A Chatwin, the Birmingham architect. I suppose it's only to be expected that these houses were originally occupied by wealthy business people.

“Mr Edward Ansell and his family at home in the grounds of Moor Hall, Sutton Coldfield, 1907. Edward Ansell
(1849-1929) was best known in the Birmingham area as managing director of the brewery at Aston Manor developed by his father Joseph from a small maltsters business into a major Midland firm, but he was also prominent in local government and philanthropic work, being for many years closely associated with the welfare of the old Borough of Aston.”

Victorian and Edwardian War-wickshire : from old photographs. Publication date 1976.

2E347871-AC5E-4B20-8993-05514A5A6952.jpeg

Just realised 1937 map has Lyndhurst marked on the other side of Sutton Road. I assume it has moved from it's original site
View attachment 155409

This is the first time I've seen this 1937 OS map, which shows my grandparents' house 'Newstead' between 'Lyndhurst' and 'St Agnes Convent'. The house was built in the 1920s for Sir Frederick Smith, who built up a brewery business (Frederick Smith's Maltings) in Lichfield Road Aston, and was a longstanding alderman of Birmingham and first Lord Mayor of Aston. My grandparents acquired the house from his daughter following his death in early 1945, and my mother was married from there in 1948. As a bonus, here is a family photo:

'Newstead', 75 Sutton Road.jpg

The rear lawn was a full size bowling green, and out of sight to the left was a small bowling pavilion, where you could sit and sip your Pimms whilst waiting your turn!

Back