• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

Wonderful ! Don’t remember seeing them when I visited when I was young. They must be confined to a certain part of the Park. Viv.

I don't think they were there when I was young although I didn't visit that part of the park.
I seem to remember that they were 'imported' to help with the management of the park. Not sure when it was although there may be a newspaper report to confirm this.

I don't think they were there when I was young although I didn't visit that part of the park.
I seem to remember that they were 'imported' to help with the management of the park. Not sure when it was although there may be a newspaper report to confirm this.
Lady P
Have you got a rough date for this?
Bob

That's interesting oM. Good job I didn't hazard a guess at the date the ponies were introduced as I thought it was earlier than 1999.

Pedro, although I've never heard the word I think it's salubrity as in salubrious. They did have a little bit of poetic licence in those days didn't they? Despasturising? I'm sure I've seen 'right to graze cattle and horses' in other publications which sounds far less pretentious. That's the problem with having to appeal to posh people.....

I found both of the above words in the Chambers Dictionary.
Depasturising - depasture : to put to pasture (graze).
Salubrity or salubriousness : health-giving, pleasant

They knew how to write "learned" english in those days. I'm amazed at the good grammar seen in the newspapers of then especially compared to the papers of today!

Not only good grammar, but those who could write usually wrote with a very clear and legible script. Those of a certain age here will know how important to our masters/teachers it was for us to have good handwriting.
We were always taught to guide the pen with our index finger. The modern trend seems to be to grip a pen in the fist. Probably that is a result of biro type and felt pens but it is quite hard to do caligraphy in that manner.

Not only good grammar, but those who could write usually wrote with a very clear and legible script.
I think you hit the nail on the head. If you knew how to read & write it meant you had received instruction, and probably knew at least French as another language!
Even now, not everyone gets that far.

Not only good grammar, but those who could write usually wrote with a very clear and legible script. Those of a certain age here will know how important to our masters/teachers it was for us to have good handwriting.
We were always taught to guide the pen with our index finger. The modern trend seems to be to grip a pen in the fist. Probably that is a result of biro type and felt pens but it is quite hard to do caligraphy in that manner.

You never blotted your copybook ?

Pedro
What is the air of Sutton Coldfield proverbial for? How English has changed, some of this small piece you almost need a translator for........depasturing?
Bob
Google translate had a go at it ....
The air of Sutton Coldfield is proverbial for its salubrity, and the occupiers of property in the parish are entitled to various local privileges, amongst which may be mentioned a Free Grammar school of the first class and right of depasturing cattle and horses in Sutton Park

Translation into German looks good to me although maybe Zuträglichkeit for Gesundheit
Die Luft von Sutton Coldfield ist sprichwörtlich für seine Gesundheit, und die Besatzer von Eigentum in der Gemeinde haben Anspruch auf verschiedene lokale Privilegien, darunter ein freies Gymnasium der ersten Klasse und das Recht, Rinder und Pferde im Sutton Park zu depastieren.

Maybe the French is good but I don't know
L'air de Sutton Coldfield est proverbial pour sa salubrité, et les occupants des biens de la paroisse ont droit à divers privilèges locaux, parmi lesquels on peut citer une école de grammaire gratuite de première classe et le droit de dépâturage du bétail et des chevaux à Sutton Park

And if you want to find all the photos up to post#1617 in this long thread click the thumbnail image below. A pdf picture index will appear dependent on which type of device you are using. Click any pic and it will open the forum post which contains the pic. If the pdf opens in your default browser, click the top left back-arrow to get back to the picture index.

Last edited:
I'm not French but live in France, here's what I think about the Google version. It may not be perfect but it's not bad at all, and you get the gist of the meaning very well.
Free Grammar school however, should perhaps rather be translated as : un collège public.

Google translate had a go at it ....
The air of Sutton Coldfield is proverbial for its salubrity, and the occupiers of property in the parish are entitled to various local privileges, amongst which may be mentioned a Free Grammar school of the first class and right of depasturing cattle and horses in Sutton Park

Translation into German looks good to me although maybe Zuträglichkeit for Gesundheit
Die Luft von Sutton Coldfield ist sprichwörtlich für seine Gesundheit, und die Besatzer von Eigentum in der Gemeinde haben Anspruch auf verschiedene lokale Privilegien, darunter ein freies Gymnasium der ersten Klasse und das Recht, Rinder und Pferde im Sutton Park zu depastieren.

Maybe the French is good but I don't know
L'air de Sutton Coldfield est proverbial pour sa salubrité, et les occupants des biens de la paroisse ont droit à divers privilèges locaux, parmi lesquels on peut citer une école de grammaire gratuite de première classe et le droit de dépâturage du bétail et des chevaux à Sutton Park
Merci beacoup und viele danke and in case you speak Danish tak.

Bob

Back