• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

In 1954 we raced our bloody bikes in Sutton Park. This photo shows that, I am in pack hanging on as a team mate Fred Hopkins gives it a go at the front. Very competitive racing those days I was 21 could not race on the open roads due to Police rules Well file to big sorry

In 1954 we raced our bloody bikes in Sutton Park. This photo shows that, I am in pack hanging on as a team mate Fred Hopkins gives it a go at the front. Very competitive racing those days I was 21 could not race on the open roads due to Police rules
20191206_094805_2 (1).jpg

What club did you ride for? I was with the Midland C&AC John Bishop also a member of BHF did an article on the club in this forumView attachment 140711
We were not with a club, three or four of us were given the OK to keep out of the way of you experts and ride as individuals, but we were not really good enough and the early starts were to much for us so after three or four sessions of dropping out halfway through we retired.
Bob

I used to cycle for leisure not sport, racing around and seeing nothing always seemed to be a daft idea.

From when I was about thirteen I'd get on my bike on Sunday morning and take off to Stratford, Evesham, Worcester etc. or go the other way up to Lichfield, Tamworth, Derby, even Stoke on Trent and Nottingham.

I used to cycle for leisure not sport, racing around and seeing nothing always seemed to be a daft idea.

From when I was about thirteen I'd get on my bike on Sunday morning and take off to Stratford, Evesham, Worcester etc. or go the other way up to Lichfield, Tamworth, Derby, even Stoke on Trent and Nottingham.
Eric, we traveled the same routs. We always stopped in Henley in Arden for ice cream!

The builders look like they couldn’t make up their minds about the style and period of the house ! Viv.

We would race around the park a daft idea as you say but THEM we would go for a ride to all the places you mention, great Ice Cream at Henley in Arden still there
John, i saw what you said about racing on the roads and I raced time trials 25 mile and massed starts 72 miles starting when I was 13 and was never stopped.

John, i saw what you said about racing on the roads and I raced time trials 25 mile and massed starts 72 miles starting when I was 13 and was never stopped.
age 13? How bloody old are you? Did you race for a club? Massed starts when I was 16 in parks or aerodromes like Ansty 2nd by inchesansty 001.jpg BLRC raced on the streets.

age 13? How bloody old are you? Did you race for a club? Massed starts when I was 16 in parks or aerodromes like Ansty 2nd by inchesView attachment 144178 BLRC raced on the streets.

Time trials usually around Minworth on a Sunday. Used to meet at a canal lock hut to change our wheels and gears. When I was 16 rode massed starts in the Droitwhich/Worcester/Stratford area mostly as a independent then joined Birmingham Mercury which I believe had some affiliation with ICI by the speedway in Perry Barr. I am 76 so in 1956 I started to race through 1960/61 then came to the US.

Time trials usually around Minworth on a Sunday. Used to meet at a canal lock hut to change our wheels and gears. When I was 16 rode massed starts in the Droitwhich/Worcester/Stratford area mostly as a independent then joined Birmingham Mercury which I believe had some affiliation with ICI by the speedway in Perry Barr. I am 76 so in 1956 I started to race through 1960/61 then came to the US.
Your just a kid OLD CHAP I will 87 in June. Do you still ride at all, where in the USA are you now? I came over in 1957

Your just a kid OLD CHAP I will 87 in June. Do you still ride at all, where in the USA are you now? I came over in 1957
Just started to ride again thanks to your motivation! Purchased a Trek hybrid and starting out carefully. Will ride tomorrow just a few miles. The weather has improved in TN and look forward to the spring and summer.

Do belong to a club in Colorado?

Just started to ride again thanks to your motivation! Purchased a Trek hybrid and starting out carefully. Will ride tomorrow just a few miles. The weather has improved in TN and look forward to the spring and summer.

Do belong to a club in Colorado?
I have been here since November 1961

I have been here since November 1961
"Creekside Steel Cycling Club" run by the local shop that likes vintage steel framed bikes. Tn must be bloody hot in the summer get hot in Colorado but very low humidity so not too bad.lots of snow now even in April but still get to ride about 5500 miles a year. also our house is at 6500f

"Creekside Steel Cycling Club" run by the local shop that likes vintage steel framed bikes. Tn must be bloody hot in the summer get hot in Colorado but very low humidity so not too bad.lots of snow now even in April but still get to ride about 5500 miles a year. also our house is at 6500f
It’s a little toasty for a few weeks but we have a very long run of moderate weather. Great for being outside, a big snow to us is 1/4”

Back