• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

Viv, I've been puzzling about Ryland Road and Sutton Park. Wasn't it by Rectory Park? Is there another one? I know the park is still there but I'm not sure about the pond and the duckweed.
I was brought up in 60 Rectory Rd and Rectory Park was my local park. I remember the entrance next to Rectory cottage where the Moore's lived. It could be thought of as a path. I don't remember a pond but there was a brook I think. Does anyone remember the hollow oak? We played in it in the 50's as did My Mum and her sisters in the 30's
Carolann

Ryland Road ran from the side of the Odeon cinema down past the Midland Red bus yard and up to High St and Rectory Rd turned off to the right by the church.Rectory Rd is where Good Hope Hospital is.

Ref: the view of Town Gate on Post 1445, there was a small petrol-station on the left side of the road, just before the gate. The pumps had overhead hoses that went across the pavement. I've got a very vague memory that someone connected with the petrol-station once posted something on this Forum.

I drove down there the other week, and was pleasantly surprised to see The Asian Grill is still open. It's in the last building on the right in the photo, the one with the sign 'Teas and Lunches'. The Grill was one of our favourite restaurants back in the 1970's and 80's. Must go again some time.

G

I remember them well when I was a kid that was in the 50s and 60s just past Longmore pool big field on the left.Joe 90
This was in reply to the model aircraft.

I remember the the model aircraft when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s just past Longmore Pool on the left. Joe90

Bracebridge Pool from a postcard published by Salmon, not postally used, but from the number, colour and car I should say late fifties early sixties. I think an expert will have to play with it and the one going into Cannon Hill. What format should I scan in

Bracebridge Pool from a postcard published by Salmon, not postally used, but from the number, colour and car I should say late fifties early sixties. I think an expert will have to play with it and the one going into Cannon Hill. What format should I scan in
n the list of postcards on the seller's website
Assuming you are using Windows
Left click on it to display the image
When the image displays, right click on the image and 'save as'.
Edit it as necessary.

On my iPad I would display it and screenshot it.
Find it in Camera Roll
Rotate it left slightly because it has a slight right rotation.
Then use editor to crop it to just show the image and save as a jpg.
:)

n the list of postcards on the seller's website
Assuming you are using Windows
Left click on it to display the image
When the image displays, right click on the image and 'save as'.
Edit it as necessary.

On my iPad I would display it and screenshot it.
Find it in Camera Roll
Rotate it left slightly because it has a slight right rotation.
Then use editor to crop it to just show the image and save as a jpg.
:)
OM
This is my own postcard, so using the all singing, all dancing Minolta photocopier at work, it automatically scans in PDF, but the youngest member of staff has just advised me that I can scan in other formats, can you suggest one please?
Bob

Hi Bob,
Didn’t realise you were scanning it.
I would scan it as a jpg and use the scanner preview to see what you will get and reposition as required.
Oldmohawk

What a mess I made trying to post this.

Bob

Don't think of it as a mess Bob - more a learning curve!

I stopped posting for ages because I couldn't get my pictures onto the forum and then Lyn, I think it was, explained and all was well after that. At the time they were too large and she told me how to re-size them. I've learned so much from the folks on here.

Don't think of it as a mess Bob - more a learning curve!

I stopped posting for ages because I couldn't get my pictures onto the forum and then Lyn, I think it was, explained and all was well after that. At the time they were too large and she told me how to re-size them. I've learned so much from the folks on here.
I am learning all the time from all these much younger , obv
What a mess I made trying to post this.

Bob
At last, I think thanks to OMBBPostcard[1].jpg

A nice old postcard view of Wyndley Pool but with a spelling mistake. I spent many happy hours playing by the pool ... even fell in it once.
WyndleyPool.jpg

Back