• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

old stocks.jpg
These stocks were situated somewhere in Sutton Coldfield and could keep 3 offenders off the streets, the pillar on the right was apparently used to tether a criminal whilst he/she was lashed with a whip.

A photo I took of Bracebridge Pool in August and the tree roots on the left don't want to go underground ...
Sam_1364.jpg

It seems that the water level of Bracebridge Pool has become lowered; the result of low rainfall maybe? It also looks like a good deal of erosion of the banks and beaches has taken place, I wonder if this is a result of boating as there is a boat house on the dammed part of the pool.
Most of the pools in Sutton Deer Park were man made by damming the streams to form fishponds. Some very small ponds were usually formed as a result of excavations for aggregates for road building (Roman), the dams and other uses.

It seems that the water level of Bracebridge Pool has become lowered; the result of low rainfall maybe? It also looks like a good deal of erosion of the banks and beaches has taken place, I wonder if this is a result of boating as there is a boat house on the dammed part of the pool.
Most of the pools in Sutton Deer Park were man made by damming the streams to form fishponds. Some very small ponds were usually formed as a result of excavations for aggregates for road building (Roman), the dams and other uses.

I was told by someone who has known the area well for many years that the 'beach' at one side of Bracebridge Pool was deliberately constructed during the war so that people could imagine themselves to be at the seaside on holiday!

I was told by someone who has known the area well for many years that the 'beach' at one side of Bracebridge Pool was deliberately constructed during the war so that people could imagine themselves to be at the seaside on holiday!
I suppose it does look like a beach but not sunny on the day I took this pic .... :)
P1020882.jpg

and below the same beach seen from the other side of the pool ... from post #1293. click the pic to enlarge then click again to reduce.
Three Exmoor ponies having a drink from Bracebridge Pool ....
index.php

View attachment 100920

Last edited:
I have been trying to upload the following photos for quite some time. Frustratingly they are once again upside down. I have tried rotating them and posting upside down - aha! they still go upside down. It was such a beautiful day on Friday, crisp and clear so I would really appreciate it if some kind person could right them for me please. Does anyone else have this problem, if so what did you do to overcome it (I should I be querying on the help thread?)
Here they are:

Attachments

• WP_20171124_11_05_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171124_11_05_46_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • WP_20171124_11_05_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171124_11_05_55_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • WP_20171124_11_05_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171124_11_05_59_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Nice picsWP_20171124_11_05_46_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20171124_11_05_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171124_11_05_55_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • WP_20171124_11_05_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171124_11_05_59_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Lovely pictures of the park. It didn't look like this yesterday when I went for a walk - it was pouring with rain and the ground was really muddy. The sun came out as we got back to the car and the day turned nice - just a little too late for us!

lovely journey dave...at first i thought you were either walking fast.. on a skateboard or on rollar skates then i twigged you were in the car:D

Back