• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

WELL Soaked.
Whilst browsing some of the ' threads ' I see that there has been some interest in the Sutton Park ' Wells '.
Quick Story : Abount 1945 - 1946 some of us lads had been exploring and playing in our favourite space ' Sutton Park'.
Making our way back to Banners Gate we came upon ' Rowtens Well ' which obviously caught our attention. The Well had a
low circular stone wall perimeter and was enclosed within a wooden fence with a double swing gate entrance. I wanted to have a closer look at the water in the Well so I lay down on the top of the Well wall in order to better view the bottom of the Well. I must have been finally balanced because when one of the lads came through the perimeter fence gate, the gate
caught the bottom of my feet, ' Tipped the balance' as they say and next second I was splashing about in the shallow water. The depth of the water was probably only about half a metre but it was enough to fully soak all my clothes.
Ending: I spent about Two hours stripped down to a pair of ' shorts' having hung my clothes on the rails of one of the
' lookout towers ' on the recently discarded ' Prisioner of War Camp ' next to Westwood Coppice. As soon as my clothes
did'nt seem to bare the evidence of recently being soaked ( Mom would go bananas) I got dressed and we all came home.
Did'nt get away with even then. Got ' Banned ' for the next two weeks.

What a lovely story Roy. I did a similar thing at Salford park when I went fishing. Parents didn't even know I had a two bob pair of split cane rods. I slipped in but was only wet up to my knees. You were lucky as I was banned for good.

Nights of fun at the Crystal Palace.
Dance Nights. There was certainly no frills about the internal basic infrastructure of the Crystal Palace but what a great venue for the occasional big dance events. It laid on all the primary requirements in the way of a huge dance floor, a large
raised stage for the band,simple seating and tables around the dance floor and an area in which to go and buy your drinks
and light eatables.
A couple of the favourite visiting Bands where Jack Parnell and Ted Heath. Both these Bands came top of the list Nationally
and where frequently on the Radio and also on ' Records'. Ted Heaths vocalists,Dickie Valentine, Lita Rosa and Dennis Lotis where top individual singers in there own right.
As the band struck up for its first number all signs of the infrastructure simplicity would transform into the best dance place in the world. Great big band sounds,big dance floor and a lot of people eager to dance and mix.
After two or three laps round this large dance floor doing the Quick Step most people would start to ' puff and blow ' a bit.
A couple of dances and then bring in a bit of strategy. Go and have a beer whilst you got your breath back.
Great Night. Well worth the attention to that extra fine crease in your trousers, the extra shine you put on your shoes, the
choice of your favourite tie and the smart haircut with a bit of Brylcreem.
The Crystal Palace also went under the other name ' The Orange Grove '. I've wondered once or twice if this might have been us Brummies dissociating it from the London image.
Anyone for a Waltz.

Thanks - I found Druids Well Sunday, I also had an old Sutton Park booklet with a map to help.
If you didnt know roughly where the Well was you would never find it.

Next to the Well is another small Well type brick construction - towards the lake side -
I'm guessing this is a water outlet circa 1970's odd.

Thanks - I found Druids Well Sunday, I also had an old Sutton Park booklet with a map to help.
If you didnt know roughly where the Well was you would never find it.

Next to the Well is another small Well type brick construction - towards the lake side -
I'm guessing this is a water outlet circa 1970's odd.

Glad you found it, as you say Well hidden

Hello
Went to the park the other day (22nd Nov '13) to take some photos. It was a lovely Autumn day.

Longmoor Pool and Queens Coppice
SueB

Autumn Trees Longmoor Pool  Sutton Park 22.11.13.jpgLongmoor pool  Sutton Park 22.11.13.jpgQueens Coppice 22nd Nov 2013 Sutton Park.jpg

Little walk today in the park

Attachments

• 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 005.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 005.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 009.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 009.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 010.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 010.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 017.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 017.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 021.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 021.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 5
Few more

Attachments

• 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 026.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 026.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 027.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 027.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 031.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 031.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 24th November 2013 Sunday  2 035.jpg
    24th November 2013 Sunday 2 035.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 10
I found the 3 wells in the park - took me 3 trips.

Which is your favourite areas of the park and monuments or points of interest.
And favourite walks.

That donkey in jpg35 ( the one rolling on the grass ) I `ve just told him this Tommy Cooper joke " I went to the cemetery yesterday to lay some flowers on a grave. As I was standing there I noticed 4 grave diggers walking about with a coffin, 3 hours later and they're still walking about with it. I thought to myself, they've lost the plot!!

For me it was always the 20 odd bridges at Bracebridge very slippy on your bike when wet but knew that just around the corner was a little sandy beach where we could have a nice swim without the fuss of Keepers Pool and it was free too.

My favorite place in the park back in the 1940,s when we lived in Kingstanding was to ride my bike to the Parson&Clerk gate make a left turn and follow the trail up to the Golf Links where I would ride around on the smooth grass and up and down the hills.Also we used to go swimming a lot at Powel's Pool. I had a friend who lived 2 doors away from us who would always go with me. Also, later, I started making model planes and I would go to the golf links to fly them. HAPPY DAYS!!!!.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Nice thoughts. I like the part by Banners gate just past the car park and it follows the trees adjacent to Chester Rd. They're currently doing some work up there. Its a nice jog up there and a right turn then up to a stone bridge and past the butts (I think its called).

Back