• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

Thank you Ray, that answers that for me. Always thought it must have been a big old house that the steps led up to, but could not figure out how the trees had managed to grow over it all - shrubs yes, but not trees. Fascinating place that park.
Cheers! Ray

Oh the hours I spent there during my lunch break feeding the water fowl. Thanks for posting the old photo Trevor. Jean.

I too spent many a time feeding the ducks there most daya as I lived just round the corner (left as you went out0 in Clifton Road. Oh happy days............... bet it's not like that now

Hi Rowan I didn't realize you lived that close at one time. It has not changed much believe it or not. Was the leisure center there at that time?. Jean.

Hi Jean, No I lived there long before the leisure centre was built......our garden backed onto a field that backed onto the park.
I use to take my Mother's dog for a walk every day before, I left home, got married & had my children then it was with the boys I feed the ducks & they used to paddle in the ford & my own dog enjoyed the walks around there & paddle in the ford with them.

We would walk through the park out through the Park Gate & up Clifton Road to see their Grandmother before heading home.

Great to recall those times :))

A few photo's yesterday taken in Sutton Park just up from Banners gate. Bye the way Brad was not guilty!!!!. Jean.

Attachments

• digital 007.jpg
    digital 007.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 24
  • digital 008.jpg
    digital 008.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 23
  • digital 009.jpg
    digital 009.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 20
  • digital 010.jpg
    digital 010.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 19
  • digital 011.jpg
    digital 011.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi GG Jean

I was in Sutton Park today absolutely roasting. Wondered whether anyone from the forum would be there. Took a photo of a swan at Keepers Pool.

Hi Sue

Powells Poll had a landing stage from which a pleasure boat used boats name "Foam", also on the further side was a Spade Mill.
As you are probably aware the pools I think I'm right in say they was man made in the 18th century and had different works inc. The Spade Mill and Timber Mill.
Powell's pool is 28 acres and the bigest of the pools, Mill was believed to have been built by John Wyatt a local man, for experimental mechanical spinning of cotton.
It was later converted to a metal rolling mill. producing garden spades, forks, saws, axes, and steel pens, the waters of Sutton was claimed unequalled for hardening & tempering steel.
The Mill was demolished in 1936.

Ray
It is Keepers Pool - got my pools mixed up. I am sure I have a photo of those steps somewhere...

Old Mohawk - thanks for that link back to the pics - I dont think that parts changed that much in all this time.
On that pool there's those little cute black+white ducks with the quiff on the back of there heads ~ are they "Tufted ducks" ?

Always get the pool names mixed up - I think keepers is the one by Banner gate isnt it ?
If so is there still that green algae on the surface ?

Hi Stephen - I think the pool near Banners Gate is called Longmoor Pool.

oldmohawk

Last edited:
And another question - does anyone recall the model steam engine and railway that used to run in the Park, or is it me imagining things again ?

And another question - does anyone recall the model steam engine and railway that used to run in the Park, or is it me imagining things again ?

Hi Ingleton,
Yes I remember it and went on it many times as a child. I have seen photos of it but can't remember where. Have a look at the site here and work through the menu items on the left. There are lots of photos of the Crystal Palace fair and many other photos. When the railway closed it was dismantled and moved to Cleethorpes.
oldmohawk

ps.. I've just noticed the miniature railway photos are on the above site here

Last edited:
Hi SueB58 i'm there most mornings on my bike but i get there a little early around 5am i just love it at that time of the morning if i get there just as the dawn is coming up iget to see the bats feeding on the wing by the pools , a big plus is also the dawn chorus as the bird watcher refer to it not to mention rabbits by the score all in all a very pleasant start to my day . Cheers n Beers, T. J.

Hi SueB58 i'm there most mornings on my bike but i get there a little early around 5am i just love it at that time of the morning if i get there just as the dawn is coming up iget to see the bats feeding on the wing by the pools , a big plus is also the dawn chorus as the bird watcher refer to it not to mention rabbits by the score all in all a very pleasant start to my day . Cheers n Beers, T. J.

Yes, the park is very attractive at that time of the day. Used it as a cut through one morning (with the dog) when we tried to walk the road route from Chester Road, Little Aston etc - only got as far as Wyndley - dreading the thought of having to go down the length of Monmouth. I had pumps on, feet killing so we cut through.

Hi SueB58 so you are ex Handsworth peeps ? i am intrigued by your forum nom de plume i.e. Apprentice Brummie i would have thought you would qualify straight away given your previous and present addy. i.e. a Brummie is is a Brummie ennit hee hee never the less it is a real privilege and pleasure to meet you . T.J.

Hi Ingleton,
Yes I remember it and went on it many times as a child. I have seen photos of it but can't remember where. Have a look at the site here and work through the menu items on the left. There are lots of photos of the Crystal Palace fair and many other photos. When the railway closed it was dismantled and moved to Cleethorpes.
oldmohawk

ps.. I've just noticed the miniature railway photos are on the above site here

Hi both,

I've only just seen this. When I was a nipper I loved the miniature railway, and went on it countless times. If I remember correctly, it was closed when it was decided to close the Crystal Palace, which had become unsafe. All the railway rolling stock and a lot of the track were stored fairly locally (I've never found out where) and they were eventually bought by the owner of Hayes Castings Ltd, Oldbury, who stored them at the rear of the foundry, where I saw them the best part of 30 years ago. They were re-sold to the railway at Cleethorpes when either the owner of Hayes Castings died, or when the foundry closed down, can't remember which. A full-size BR locomotive was also being refurbished at Hayes, and I saw it several times. Obviously the owner was a real railyway enthusiast!

G

The railway ran up the side of the fair from the entrance by the main gate to Wyndley gate turned round and came back.Dek

Hi SueB58 so you are ex Handsworth peeps ? i am intrigued by your forum nom de plume i.e. Apprentice Brummie i would have thought you would qualify straight away given your previous and present addy. i.e. a Brummie is is a Brummie ennit hee hee never the less it is a real privilege and pleasure to meet you . T.J.
The pleasure is all mine...

T.J.

Do you ever cycle passed Keepers Pool? Imagine you have just come down from the Cubs monument straight down to the pool. On your right, are two lots of steps, as if there used to belong to some sort of grand house. Do you know what used to be there at all?P1000092.jpgOpposite side ot this picture...

Snowy Views last February 2012 - well I have tried, but the site is not uploading them for some reason.

Dek & Big Gee

I'm sure these photos have been posted here before, but I have just had a look all through the thread and there are quite a few photos that have not been reposted. So taking into account that they may never will be reposted I'll drop these in here.

Phil

Attachments

• Sutton Sutton Park Minature Railway 10.5 inch gauge Nipper.JPG
    Sutton Sutton Park Minature Railway 10.5 inch gauge Nipper.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Sutton Coldfield Sutton Park Minature Train.jpg
    Sutton Coldfield Sutton Park Minature Train.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Sutton Park Minature Railway.JPG
    Sutton Park Minature Railway.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 28
A site plan of how the park used to be some years back, complete with the index. There have been a few charges since those days.

Attachments

• Sutton Coldfield Sutton Park Plan.JPG
    Sutton Coldfield Sutton Park Plan.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Sutton Park Index.JPG
    Sutton Park Index.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 27
I remember the little steam railway in Sutton park from around 57/58 time when did they get rid of it was it around the time they got rid of the fair.??
paul

Paul I had some lovely photo's of the fair and the little railway but I think my brother has them now. Will have to ask him if I can borrow them. Jean.

Back