• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

Hi Stitch - I think the photo belongs in both threads - firstly it is in Sutton Park, secondly I had put it in the Springhill Ice Rink thread because I skated on Wyndley Pool several times, never thought to take a camera !
The other Wyndley Pool skating photos were originally posted by Keith (The Baron) and Miriam (Al Banner).
Regards
oldmohawk

Hi Stitch - I think the photo belongs in both threads - firstly it is in Sutton Park, secondly I had put it in the Springhill Ice Rink thread because I skated on Wyndley Pool several times, never thought to take a camera !
The other Wyndley Pool skating photos were originally posted by Keith (The Baron) and Miriam (Al Banner).
Regards
oldmohawk

This is one that Keith posted, plus I added the now pic taken in 2010

Attachments

• Wyndley old n 2010.jpg
    Wyndley old n 2010.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 41
I think the reason we skated on Wyndley Pool, it was only about 4ft deep which I was glad of when I went through the ice one winter.
The only photos I ever took of the pool were in the early 1970's.

Last edited:
Two from the same area 1st March

Attachments

• 1st March 2012 Thursday 023.jpg
    1st March 2012 Thursday 023.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 1st March 2012 Thursday 025.jpg
    1st March 2012 Thursday 025.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 28
img575.jpg
This is a picture of Longmoor Pool and the writing with it says that with the onset of the Industrial Revolution, Longmoor and the previously mentioned Blackroot pools were created so the waters could be used, Longmoor was used for a button Mill and Blackroot was used for a Leather Mill. There was also a Holland Pool which was used in the manufacture of gun barrels.

Thanks for the lovely photo Trevor. We went to the Banners gate entrance yesterday and walking towards the lake expected to see the small pools seething with frogs but didn't see one. We did spot a pair of buzzards circling above and the usual Squirrells, Robins rabbits. The rabbits were all different colors as I have said before but the black ones far outnumbered the others.

Recently got back from Sutton Park and here are a few photo's from by Bobby Browns. If you zoom into the picture of the lake you will see three pony's grazing on the other side.

Attachments

• DSCF4276.jpg
    DSCF4276.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF4277.jpg
    DSCF4277.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF4278.jpg
    DSCF4278.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4279.jpg
    DSCF4279.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 16
I took some more photo's David but the battery was low. Will be going again shortly so let me know if there is anywhere else you want photo's of?. Jean.

Spent a lovely two hours in Sutton Park today and took these photo's of one of David Weavers favorite spots as a young whippersnapper. Blackroot Pool just down from the busy Bistro. All the outside seats were taken and folk were enjoying the spring sunshine. Jean.

Attachments

• DSCF4297.jpg
    DSCF4297.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF4298.jpg
    DSCF4298.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4299.jpg
    DSCF4299.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 19
Had a lovely couple of hours in Sutton Park this afternoon. Took these photo's for David Weaver as I think this was one of his favorite spots as a young whippersnapper?. Jean.Sorry I didn't mean to put this on twice.

Attachments

• DSCF4297.jpg
    DSCF4297.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF4298.jpg
    DSCF4298.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF4299.jpg
    DSCF4299.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 7
Blackroot Pool Jean my childhood playground. Lovely photo's, I learned to row a boat on that pool.

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything of Hollyhurst Refreshment rooms. I'd like more details about this Sutton Coldfield Commerce 1913:
Charles Townshend's refreshment rooms, Hollyhurst, the Park, and Blackroot pool: 40 pleasue boats, excellent fishing, schools catered for, tents for hire.
The rooms may have been in the White Cottage. I suppose it doesn't exist now? Thanks for any info!

Virtually the same was in the 1924 Warwickshire Kellys:
Townshend Charles, refreshment rooms, Hollyhurst,Sutton Park & Blackroot pool; 40 pleasure boats; newmotor launch carries- 40 passengers (B.O.T.O.); excellentfishing; schools specially catered for; tents for hire

And the 1927 Kellys:
Townshend Charles, refreshment rooms, Blackroot pool, Sutton Park; 40 pleasure boats; new motor launch carries 40 passengers (B.O.T.C.): excellent fishing
schools specially catered for; seating for 600 persons, under cover.
By 1940, charles seems to have died and enterprise reduced somewhat (though this may be to do with the war) and entry is:
Townshend, Elsie Maud (Miss), refreshment rooms, Blackroot Pool

We have cine film of our children playing in Sutton Park in the 1960's, we used to go there regularly.

Unfortunately we can't view them any more.

It would be a shame if they were just thrown away because they are a part of social history of the early 60's

We have cine film of our children playing in Sutton Park in the 1960's, we used to go there regularly.

It would be a shame if they were just thrown away because they are a part of social history of the early 60's

I know virtually nothing about these technical things but I would have thought there was some ways and means of transfering old cine film on to DVD?
Perhaps someone else here would know?

Patsi

I think films like this are a real treasure, and give a great sense of the past; why not get them converted to DVD?

Hi Patsi: If you put this into Google Search you will get a list of people in the Lincolnshire area that offer this service....... Lincolnshire area-making DVD's out of cine films

Sutton Park pics .. incl the fair and crystal palace 1950 -1962 >

I came across this excellent web site ~ here is a link below, and seeing as they went to lots of trouble and hard work I though it best and proper to simply place a link here ... thx. NB. the note at the top of the site home page (regards thoughts on copyright laws) makes interesting reading.

https://www.sutton-coldfield.net/crystalpalace.html

Hi Stephen0002002: Thanks for posting this link to the Sutton Park Crystal Palace and Fairground. Great shots which bring back many memories
of those far off days when the fair was still going. I used to cycle from Erdington in the early l950's and remember the site from then. I also
remember the Crystal Palace deteriorating later on. The organ is amazing and thank goodness it is restored and still around. I am sure I remember a ghost train there in the l950's. Here is a Youtube link of the Pat Collins "Wonderland" organ built in Paris by the C.H. Meranghi Co. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qsZnXxGbE&feature=related

Pat Collin's life history is fascinating.

Re: Sutton Park.

At Powells Pool, does anyone know what the remnants of the old big steps lead up to. Was it a house, or was it a boathouse?

Hi Sue

Powells Poll had a landing stage from which a pleasure boat used boats name "Foam", also on the further side was a Spade Mill.

As you are probably aware the pools I think I'm right in say they was man made in the 18th century and had different works inc. The Spade Mill and Timber Mill.

Powell's pool is 28 acres and the bigest of the pools, Mill was believed to have been built by John Wyatt a local man, for experimental mechanical spinning of cotton.

I t was later converted to a metal rolling mill. producing garden spades, forks, saws, axes, and steel pens, the waters of Sutton was claimed unequalled for hardening & tempering steel.

The Mill was demolished in 1936.

Back